21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
My opinion, for what its worth:

A GENUINE refugee has not taken the time to 'research' which countries are the best to flee to if their life is in danger. They have fled and then claimed asylum to save their lives in the first safe country they have made it to. If they have time to 'shop' around to figure out who gives the best benefits, then I would surmise their life is not in danger but 'uncomfortable'.

Rish: While I agree with what you are saying, you are saying this from the comfort of your computer in a Canadian home. You know the ins and outs of the process and have heard the good, the bad and the ugly from posts of those from other countries. If you were in your native country just trying to survive would you really turn down the US as a safe haven given that you haven't had access to forums and other desirable information? I suspect not. On the note of refugee 'jail'. The ones who land in jail have committed criminal offenses. Jails were never meant to be comfortable, you are there for a crime. If you don't want to be uncomfortable, then don't commit a crime.

Just my 2 cents. You can leave change on the desk if you like ;)

Reactions: carolbb23
R

rish888

My opinion, for what its worth:

A GENUINE refugee has not taken the time to 'research' which countries are the best to flee to if their life is in danger. They have fled and then claimed asylum to save their lives in the first safe country they have made it to. If they have time to 'shop' around to figure out who gives the best benefits, then I would surmise their life is not in danger but 'uncomfortable'.

Rish: While I agree with what you are saying, you are saying this from the comfort of your computer in a Canadian home. You know the ins and outs of the process and have heard the good, the bad and the ugly from posts of those from other countries. If you were in your native country just trying to survive would you really turn down the US as a safe haven given that you haven't had access to forums and other desirable information? I suspect not. On the note of refugee 'jail'. The ones who land in jail have committed criminal offenses. Jails were never meant to be comfortable, you are there for a crime. If you don't want to be uncomfortable, then don't commit a crime.

Just my 2 cents. You can leave change on the desk if you like ;)
I'm by no means pro asylum shopping. I'm just trying to see it from their perspective, that's all.

While I don't agree with people crossing illegally, I can't blame them. Border protection is ultimately a Canadian responsibility. We cannot keep our border wide open, maintain provisions in the IRPA that prevent an asylum seeker from being charged with illegal entry, and still wonder why people are crossing over.

p.s. the U.S. also jails non-criminal undocumented individuals, including young children. Not saying this is an excuse of anything, just a fact.

I would also be willing to wager if you were a refugee in the US given the current climate you would head to Canada.

No way you would choose immigration detention in the US over a free life in Canada.

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
I'm by no means pro asylum shopping. I'm just trying to see it from their perspective, that's all.

While I don't agree with people crossing illegally, I can't blame them. Border protection is ultimately a Canadian responsibility. We cannot keep our border wide open, maintain provisions in the IRPA that prevent an asylum seeker from being charged with illegal entry, and still wonder why people are crossing over.

p.s. the U.S. also jails non-criminal undocumented individuals, including young children. Not saying this is an excuse of anything, just a fact.

I would also be willing to wager if you were a refugee in the US given the current climate you would head to Canada.

No way you would choose immigration detention in the US over a free life in Canada.
I think the current government is not doing enough to address illegal border crossings. We will have to introduce/amends laws for a long lasting solution.