timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Folks,

I have my test and interview tomorrow at Ottawa

Here is my timeline:

Application Sent: 22 Nov 2013
In Process Date: 7 Jan 2014
AOR Date: 16 Jan 2014
LOT Date: Mid-May ( i check CIC status only every 10 days - do not know the exact date)
Test Date: 26 June 2014

Local Office: Ottawa

I have a question.

From the time i have applied i have been thinking i will get RQ'ed. I quit my job a few years back to stay home with the kids, i have a LOT of one day trips
to the U.S, i lived and worked in the U.S before moving to Canada..... all the red flags that usually triggers a RQ.
To complicate matters further, my home country(not U.S) let me know that they will not be renewing my passport when it comes up for renewal in 6 months because for
some reason that is beyond me, i recently found out i have been given the Canadian PR under FCH (Family Class Humanitarian) Class while i actually applied under
spousal category. Humanitarian falls under the Refugee category and so it means i have voluntarily given up my rights to being the citizen of my home country.
I didnt notice the category for 6 years after i got the PR until the time came for passport renewal.
So, effectively i have been told by my home country embassy that my passport will be revoked at the time it expires. And if my canadian citizenship process
is not complete in another 6 months, i will effectively be 'stateless'.
Should i mention this to the interview officer? Or wait and see if i am issued an RQ? If i am given the RQ form, would it be too late then? Or regardless, it doesnt matter
to them and i should not mention it at all and see how it all plays out?
I have been debating this over and over again for the past week since i got the letter to write the test and i cant decide eitherways.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

joy4u

Jun 12, 2009
I always follow a simple rule in life....answer only what's asked, do not lie but don't disclose anything not asked. But that's my rule, you're the best judge in your own case.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First off, congratulations on your test.

I definitely agree with joy4u. I will add that after your test, you should contact your local settlement organization (cheap/free) or go to a refugee lawyer or a neighbourhood law clinic to discuss your situation. There are a lot of good options in Ottawa.

if you wish to pursue urgent processing for your application (after your test), you need to call the Call Centre to enquire. Don't ask the interviewing citizenship officer to assess something outside of their area of expertise and authority. This will confuse the citizenship officer. And when a citizenship officer is confused, they generally seek to slow down the process because they fear that something weird and suspicious is hiding underneath the confusing details. While one can easily talk their way into an RQ, one cannot talk your way out of an RQ.

Also, it looks like FCH is for family class partners who are in Canada but do not have legal temporary status in Canada. (defined on p. 66 of this pdf) http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cic.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fresources%2Fmanuals%2Fip%2Fip02-eng.pdf&ei=lsGqU9nuM4u38gH2zoHwCA&usg=AFQjCNH-ogjqW4BVi9wkk0M4NazCCjziXA&sig2=-37COTZJFS7Z_2olqGe_fA&bvm=bv.69620078,d.b2U

I'm pretty sure this is not a refugee category (the category was created as an alternative to H&C grounds), but this is something to verify with a settlement worker or refugee lawyer.

Perhaps something else is going on with your home country? Or maybe they misunderstood the status. I also am not sure how they would be privy to your immigration category.

Good luck. And finally, please try not to worry about this too much right now. Focus on your test. Focus on the interview.

Think about this later.

timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Thanks joy4u and eileenf.

Glad that i asked.

Everyone i have talked to, also feel that CIC made a mistake when they issued the category of FCH. I was on Open Work Permit then.

I know for most of the cases there shouldnt be a way to change the category.For every other field in the PR card, if there is an option to correct/change the details, none exist for the PR category, especially when it looks like a mistake from the CIC in entering the category.

But, yes, first the test and interview to focus on, and then worry about this part.

Thanks for the links eileenf.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On Friday or next week, file an ATIP request for your immigration files. https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/
Request both your physical files and GCMS (computer system) files. You'll get a copy of your application and the internal CIC files and correspondence related to its processing.

You should be able to see if CIC keyed in the wrong code (FCH instead of FC1) and have some proof for getting CIC to rectify the situation.

timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Hi eileenf,

I am trying to order my ATIP files for PR and i am a little confused.

Do i have to make two different requests? I am not able to choose both physical files and GCMS in the same request.
Do i use "Privacy Act" or "Access to information" act?

I tried under "Access to Information act" for physical files and it says $5 fee.

That is fine as long as i know i am ordering the right files.

So, i make two separate requests and pay $5 each to get the physical and GCMS files? Thanks!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to make two separate requests. For files pertaining to oneself, one can use the Privacy Act, so it's free. It takes around 30 days.

timbermere

Sep 14, 2013
Hi eileenf,

Thanks very much. I have ordered them. I am curious to see if it was a mistake. Just in case my citizenship process takes longer.
I had the test/interview yesterday. I passed the test and i would like to think the interview went well.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. You are really a great help on this forum.

Negi1992

Mar 28, 2017
Police clearance certificate from USA

I'm trying to get a PCC from USA . I was wondering wether I can fill my fingerprint form myself and what would I fill in the block for ORI if I can. Thanks in advance.