+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

~at my wits end~please help

marcia

Jan 24, 2008
My situation :

Me: American Citizen (born and raised in NH)
Him: Canadian Citizen (born in MB, raised in NS)

Married: Novemeber 26,2005 in Paradise, NS

He lives and works in Nova Scotia. I want to move up there with 2 of my children. We are trying the family sponsorship route, and we have been trying to save the money for the paperwork, as well as tie up some loose ends financially. We want to do this right, but after 2 years it is getting old.
I now have access to the necessary funds to file paperwork, and to move up there. However..while reading the sponsorship financial guidelines we found that my husband does not meet the minimum income level for 3 persons. (he does meet the level for 2).
Obviously, I am not leaving one of my children behind.
I dont want to file, and risk losing our hard earned money.

Is there ANY flexibility here?

I fall 3 points shy of skilled worker
I am not a candidate for provincial nomination
I have submitted applications and resumes to canadian companies, but have had no luck

I want to work, and have marketable skills
What do we do ?
~marcia

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
A little fiscal discipline might be in order. Or do you have relatives who will give you the money?

What about assets that can be sold? If you own a house, you could sell it and rent until you moved to Canada.

marcia

Jan 24, 2008
I rent, and so does he... Could the cash we have on hand be added to his income for purposes of meeting the income guidelines? As I said before, we have worked very hard to get financially stable. My husband has a decent job making over 25k/year. He meets the level for 2 persons but not for 3.
Maintaining 2 households for 2 years, has not been easy on us financially. It's time for us to be together. I need permanent residency, so I can get a job and my kids are able to go to school. I am able and willing to do my part. I am not willing to put my husband in debt, so that he can support us while we wait for things to happen. If we fall 4k short of the guidelines, are they really going to deny my application ?
I'm not trying to be difficult..honest

I have emailed the Board of Immigration in NS a couple of times for their input, but have not even been acknowledged.
I am frustrated and wasting my time here in the States.

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
Family class is not Immune to the financial obligation? is it because they are in NS? i thought (except in quebec maybe) that family class applications were exempt from the minimum income requirement?

A Sponsor must demonstrate a level of income that meets the minimum necessary income or low-income cutoff (LICO) for a given family size, as established by Statistics Canada. The Sponsor is freed from this requirement if:

The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or
The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor.

http://www.canadavisa.com/immigration-financial-ability.html

Doesnt she qualify under this one since it is her husband sponsoring her? Only stipulation is he can not be on welfare of any kind. Other than that it doesnt matter if he earns 2 dollars or 200k a year he can sponsor you.Someone correct me if i am wrong.

marcia

Jan 24, 2008
I was reading some previous posts by some of the more established members of this forum, and I was reading the same info.

ty tamee

could we get some others' thoughts ?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
For some reason I clued in on whether you had the application fee monies. That's why my response was regarding one-time sources of funds.

Yes, your husband can sponsor the family. The financial requirements are waived for family class.