+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum through a student visa

itzme2010

Nov 6, 2017
Hello all,
I just wanted to gather some information on whether or not it is legal to decide not to study after entering Canada through a student visa and instead seek for an asylum.
Is it possible to come to Canada through a student visa but not be engaged in the study. And then ask for a legal aid, seek an asylum and be considered as a Conventional Refugee?
If anyone has an ascertained information over this matter, i would be glad. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you can do that. Make sure you have a very strong case.

Reactions: itzme2010

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes it's possible, but if your asylum claim is rejected you can't go back to being a student.

Reactions: itzme2010

itzme2010

Nov 6, 2017
Okay Thanks guys.
But what cases are more conveniently acceptable and strong for seeking an asylum?
For example if my case is a political discomfort in my home country, will i be required to provide a proof document?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay Thanks guys.
But what cases are more conveniently acceptable and strong for seeking an asylum?
For example if my case is a political discomfort in my home country, will i be required to provide a proof document?
Political discomfort isn't grounds for a refugee claim and if that's all you have, then you can expect it to end in refusal. You have to prove that you yourself have been persecuted or that your specific life is in danger or that your family has been specifically targeted and attacked. Yes - you must provide proof to support your claims.

Make sure your grounds are strong. If they're not and the asylum claim is refused and you have to leave Canada, it will be effectively impossible to obtain a study permit, work permit or tourist visa to Canada in the future and this will also impact your ability to get visas to other countries such as the US.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Okay Thanks guys.
U looks like shopping with asylum. Not eveyone is qualify for an asylum. Only if u are in real danger that could harm u badly or your life threatened , then you can apply for an asylum, it could be political or religious or whatever groud u have. You need to provide every single proof what ever your case is. Police certificates, medical issues, newspaper cuttings, photos, videos etc. If you can provide all the proofs then you have a chance to get accepted as refugees. There is no guarantee that you will get accepted.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Okay Thanks guys.
As said above, "political discomfort" is not grounds for asylum. Asking for reasons that will make your case more acceptable and stronger very much sounds like you are trying to create an asylum case. You will not find help on this forum to commit fraud.

itzme2010

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks all!! I appreciate your guidance!
But i believe there is a little misunderstanding here. I prefer to clear that out.
My home country is experiencing a political crisis which of course endangers the well being and life of the citizens. I, as a citizen, am experiencing a fear of existence. Many persecutions and endangerment have been encountered so far.These persecution are mainly caused because of the different political beliefs of the citizens. Many of the citizens are searching a way out because of this case.That is what i meant by political discomfort.
But the thing that brought me to this forum is the fact that i don't know how to prove that my home country is in such a crisis. I didn't know what proof documents would the Canadian government require me to provide to proof my case other than my words. The fact that the life of the citizens of my country is in danger is a universal fact. It can be checked all over the internet. But i didn't know how to prove it. That is why i am here.
It might have been misunderstood, but i am not here to gamble with an asylum or commit fraud or something like that. I am here because i am in danger and i am unaware about how to get out of it.
Thanks!

Reactions: Quayehayford

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We did not misunderstand you.

Having a successful asylum claim requires that you prove that you yourself are personally in danger or have already been harmed / attacked - not that there is a general issue in your country and that you may be harmed. You need to show that this has already personally affected you and provide evidence to prove this in the form of police records, hospitalization / doctor records, newspaper articles mentioning you / your family, etc. Have you been physically harmed, threatened, attacked or placed in prison for political reasons? Has anyone in your immediate family been harmed, imprisoned or something similar for their political beliefs? (Parents, siblings)

If you do not have proof of the above and what you have is a general concern about issues in your country - this means your refugee claim will be very weak. In that case you would be far better off attending school as planned, obtaining a PGWP once you have completed your studies, getting some work experience in Canada, and then applying for PR through an economic stream like Express Entry.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
My home country is experiencing a political crisis which of course endangers the well being and life of the citizens. !
What country are you talking about, Venezuela perhaps?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if you actually have a student visa already but if you are from Venezuela it will quite hard to obtain one without significant proof that you plan on studying.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks all!! I appreciate your guidance!
But i believe there is a little misunderstanding here. I prefer to clear that out.
My home country is experiencing a political crisis which of course endangers the well being and life of the citizens. I, as a citizen, am experiencing a fear of existence. Many persecutions and endangerment have been encountered so far.These persecution are mainly caused because of the different political beliefs of the citizens. Many of the citizens are searching a way out because of this case.That is what i meant by political discomfort.
But the thing that brought me to this forum is the fact that i don't know how to prove that my home country is in such a crisis. I didn't know what proof documents would the Canadian government require me to provide to proof my case other than my words. The fact that the life of the citizens of my country is in danger is a universal fact. It can be checked all over the internet. But i didn't know how to prove it. That is why i am here.
It might have been misunderstood, but i am not here to gamble with an asylum or commit fraud or something like that. I am here because i am in danger and i am unaware about how to get out of it.
Thanks!
Are you a member of a political party?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
My home country is experiencing a political crisis which of course endangers the well being and life of the citizens.
Thanks!
That means that all the population of your country is experiencing this same phenomena, which unfortunately is not a good enough reason to obtain a refugee status. Unless your country turns into total chaos, for example, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan... you get the idea.

You will have to prove that you are being targeted in this political crisis.

I also have the feeling that your home country is Venezuela. If that's the case, I imagine that you would have to be a member of the opposition parties or some of the groups that protested against the government and were brutally attacked. Your best bet would be to seek refugee protection in Colombia, since they are creating laws specifically to address the crisis in Venezuela.