+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum Seeking at Port Of Entry (Airport)

VMSF

Nov 5, 2017
Hi there,

I hope someone can help me to provide details about the process of seeking asylum at POE. I've a valid TR-Visa including my wife and kid. I'm willing to apply for a refugee claim at the Airport upon arrival. I've read online as much as I can regarding the process but I still can't find answers for below:

1- Before visiting Canada, Should I prepare all of the application forms (Basis of Claim, Generic forms, etc.) according to the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/protection.asp to make the process faster at the airport? or there will be no benefit of that?

2- Should I apply for the refugee claim at the immigration (passport counter)? or I should wait until our passports are stamped for entry and then visit the IRB office at airport?

3- Since my documents are all valid and my arrival is legit, is there any risk that my refugee claim get rejected at the airport?

4- I'm planning to book for a temporary stay at a hotel in Canada (probably a week) before travelling. After which, I intend to either look for a better/economical option but I wonder how difficult that will be!?

5- I understood that I will leave my identification documents at the IRB with my claim. However, I'm not sure if they will give me any identification document to use inside Canada (for hotel, renting and other services).

6- Although I expect to have an expedited process for my claim, but I've been told it may take up to couple of months (or more) for it to be completed. During this period, am I allowed to get a temporary work permit? am I also able to rent an apartment and have my kid go to school?

7- At what point am I able to get any financial support? I may have limited funding upon arrival so I need to know how/when until I could work or get financial aid.

8- In most of the application forms, they ask to provide my mailing address. and Since I'm not sure where I will be. Is it possible to provide only an email address, and update my mailing address somehow later when I get settled?

9- Am I able to receive money from outside of Canada (small amounts from family members) during the process period? Are these amounts going to reduce or deny whatever refugee financial support I could get?

10- If someone knows what to expect regarding the process in airport and after, I'd appreciate any details.

11- Since I'm hoping to be accepted and stay permanently in Canada, Do you advise against bringing all my belongings with me?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: gavendano

VMSF

Nov 5, 2017
I am not sure if my questions above sound so complicated or that there is no one with information about the concerned topics. I just appreciate any help on any point mentioned above to put on the right direction.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
1- Before visiting Canada, Should I prepare all of the application forms (Basis of Claim, Generic forms, etc.) according to the website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/protection.asp to make the process faster at the airport? or there will be no benefit of that?

If you fill them before arriving you will be one step ahead. It requires time and thinking to fill out the forms, so I would try to fill them out before you come to Canada.

2- Should I apply for the refugee claim at the immigration (passport counter)? or I should wait until our passports are stamped for entry and then visit the IRB office at airport?

I was in the same position as you. My lawyers recommended to do it after I entered Canada because it is a very bureaucratic process and a lot of paperwork will have to be filled, my best advice is to contact an immigration lawyer in the city where you plan to arrive.
The refugee claim system is highly complex and involves a lot of "legal" terminology, you will increase your chances if you hire a lawyer to help you in the process.

Once you enter Canada with you TRV you can take your time to settle in and start working on your application.

3- Since my documents are all valid and my arrival is legit, is there any risk that my refugee claim get rejected at the airport?
At the airport the CBSA officer will determine if your claim is deemed eligible to be referred to the IRB. IRB is the entity who will determine if your application is valid or not.

4- I'm planning to book for a temporary stay at a hotel in Canada (probably a week) before travelling. After which, I intend to either look for a better/economical option but I wonder how difficult that will be!?
This is a good way to do it. The most difficult part will be the financial one, since you will have to pay a deposit (usually 1 month of rent) and give assurances to the landlord that you will be able to pay for rent for the upcoming months.

5- I understood that I will leave my identification documents at the IRB with my claim. However, I'm not sure if they will give me any identification document to use inside Canada (for hotel, renting and other services).
They will give you a Refugee Claimant Document which has all of your personal information, photo and is backed by the government, it also serves as your health insurance card. I found that most places accept this for of identification after I give them a brief explanation of my status in Canada, but there are other places that do not accept them (like some banks).

6- Although I expect to have an expedited process for my claim, but I've been told it may take up to couple of months (or more) for it to be completed. During this period, am I allowed to get a temporary work permit? am I also able to rent an apartment and have my kid go to school?
Currently the system is very backlogged, I believe there are about 40,000 claims waiting to be heard and there are only around 120 IRB members. Depending on your country of origin your claim could be expedited but if not your claim can take a very long time to be heard, about 12-16 months currently.
Yes you can apply for a work permit. Yes you can rent an apartment if you can afford it And yes your kids will be able to attend school.

7- At what point am I able to get any financial support? I may have limited funding upon arrival so I need to know how/when until I could work or get financial aid.
Financial assistance is meant for people who really don't have any means to pay for basic needs (housing, food, transportation). You can apply to these provincial financial assistance programs after you submit your claim, but you will have to prove that you really need it.

8- In most of the application forms, they ask to provide my mailing address. and Since I'm not sure where I will be. Is it possible to provide only an email address, and update my mailing address somehow later when I get settled?
You could try and write the address of the hotel where you will stay initially and then update it once you find a more permanent location.

9- Am I able to receive money from outside of Canada (small amounts from family members) during the process period? Are these amounts going to reduce or deny whatever refugee financial support I could get?
It depends on the Province and the financial assistance program. Some programs allow for small financial gifts from family and friends, for example Alberta allows something like $1,900 per year. If you exceed this amount you are demonstrating that you don't need financial support from the government. Also they have the tools and means to detect when you receive money.

It is best to try and sustain yourself with your own money or with help from family/friends. Financial assistance is really for people who are in dire need.

10- If someone knows what to expect regarding the process in airport and after, I'd appreciate any details.
Again, I would suggest starting your refugee claim after you enter Canada. It is much more smooth and less traumatic process.
And please try to get a lawyer, it can really increase your chances of success because they will help you to compile your story, prepare your evidence, fill out the forms and defend you during the refugee hearing.

11- Since I'm hoping to be accepted and stay permanently in Canada, Do you advise against bringing all my belongings with me?
I will share my experience with you since I also expect to be accepted and settle permanently here.
In the plane, we only brought clothes and essential items that while we settled. Before leaving my country we tried to sell as many things as we could so that we could have enough cash to support ourselves while the refugee process was done or until I could find work in Canada, despite of that there were some things that we wanted to bring but that were too heavy/bulky to bring on the plane. So we packed those and left them stored with a shipping company, we also prepaid the shipping.
About 1 month after entering Canada, I called the shipping company and told them to send me the items and I picked them up at the airport once they arrived. I did this after I met with my lawyers, submitted all my claim forms/evidence and obtained the Refugee Claimant Document.

VMSF

Nov 5, 2017
1- Before visiting Canada, Should I prepare all of the applicatio...
..they arrived. I did this after I met with my lawyers, submitted all my claim forms/evidence and obtained the Refugee Claimant Document.
Thank you very much. That was very helpful.

Mar 29, 2014

If you fill them before arriving you will be one step ahead. It requires time and thinking to fill out the forms, so I would try to fill them out before you come to Canada.

I was in the same position as you. My lawyers recommended to do it after I entered Canada because it is a very bureaucratic process and a lot of paperwork will have to be filled, my best advice is to contact an immigration lawyer in the city where you plan to arrive.
The refugee claim system is highly complex and involves a lot of "legal" terminology, you will increase your chances if you hire a lawyer to help you in the process.

Once you enter Canada with you TRV you can take your time to settle in and start working on your application.

At the airport the CBSA officer will determine if your claim is deemed eligible to be referred to the IRB. IRB is the entity who will determine if your application is valid or not.

This is a good way to do it. The most difficult part will be the financial one, since you will have to pay a deposit (usually 1 month of rent) and give assurances to the landlord that you will be able to pay for rent for the upcoming months.

They will give you a Refugee Claimant Document which has all of your personal information, photo and is backed by the government, it also serves as your health insurance card. I found that most places accept this for of identification after I give them a brief explanation of my status in Canada, but there are other places that do not accept them (like some banks).

Currently the system is very backlogged, I believe there are about 40,000 claims waiting to be heard and there are only around 120 IRB members. Depending on your country of origin your claim could be expedited but if not your claim can take a very long time to be heard, about 12-16 months currently.
Yes you can apply for a work permit. Yes you can rent an apartment if you can afford it And yes your kids will be able to attend school.

Financial assistance is meant for people who really don't have any means to pay for basic needs (housing, food, transportation). You can apply to these provincial financial assistance programs after you submit your claim, but you will have to prove that you really need it.

You could try and write the address of the hotel where you will stay initially and then update it once you find a more permanent location.

It depends on the Province and the financial assistance program. Some programs allow for small financial gifts from family and friends, for example Alberta allows something like $1,900 per year. If you exceed this amount you are demonstrating that you don't need financial support from the government. Also they have the tools and means to detect when you receive money.

It is best to try and sustain yourself with your own money or with help from family/friends. Financial assistance is really for people who are in dire need.

Again, I would suggest starting your refugee claim after you enter Canada. It is much more smooth and less traumatic process.
And please try to get a lawyer, it can really increase your chances of success because they will help you to compile your story, prepare your evidence, fill out the forms and defend you during the refugee hearing.

I will share my experience with you since I also expect to be accepted and settle permanently here.
In the plane, we only brought clothes and essential items that while we settled. Before leaving my country we tried to sell as many things as we could so that we could have enough cash to support ourselves while the refugee process was done or until I could find work in Canada, despite of that there were some things that we wanted to bring but that were too heavy/bulky to bring on the plane. So we packed those and left them stored with a shipping company, we also prepaid the shipping.
About 1 month after entering Canada, I called the shipping company and told them to send me the items and I picked them up at the airport once they arrived. I did this after I met with my lawyers, submitted all my claim forms/evidence and obtained the Refugee Claimant Document.

Hi dear how are you?

Thanks for the information you shared

i just want to know i have canada tourist visa valid can i apply asylam

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016

Hi dear how are you?

Thanks for the information you shared

i just want to know i have canada tourist visa valid can i apply asylam
You could claim refugee in Canada if there is a threat or risk against your life in your country of origin. You will have to provide lots of evidence.