+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum seekers awaiting eligibility interview; any update?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Yes, and medical is done, but it has been almost a year. I thought it would take a few weeks delay, but now it has been unbearable. I need to work, I can't live on social aid; it is not enough. They made several exceptions to every immigration applicants but not for us.

Reactions: David1905

hba152

Feb 12, 2021
What is the status of people who applied for refugees and have not attended in eligibility interview because of covid-19?
I mean what will happen if the current status expire without eligibility interview.

Last edited:

Zahidulhira

Dec 19, 2017
Yes, and medical is done, but it has been almost a year. I thought it would take a few weeks delay, but now it has been unbearable. I need to work, I can't live on social aid; it is not enough. They made several exceptions to every immigration applicants but not for us.
If you have expired work permit then i think you can continue to work with your existing employer with the expired work permit.

Reactions: hba152

yvoma

Dec 31, 2020
hello All, I applied in Montreal area early January 2021 and still awaiting for the interview; I volunteer here and there and I now urgently need the work permit to be able to work as I no longer have enough means for my living expenses and I am now urgently considering to apply the social aid this week. on a side note I am wondering if care homes are hiring right now and would have help me obtain a work permit. Any reading on that is appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello All, I applied in Montreal area early January 2021 and still awaiting for the interview; I volunteer here and there and I now urgently need the work permit to be able to work as I no longer have enough means for my living expenses and I am now urgently considering to apply the social aid this week. on a side note I am wondering if care homes are hiring right now and would have help me obtain a work permit. Any reading on that is appreciated.
I don't believe you qualify for the work permit until you've been through the eligibility interview. However I'm sure others will comment to either confirm or correct this.

To qualify to apply for a closed work permit through a care home, that employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. This is around a six month process right now and takes a fair amount of work on the part of your employer. So unfortunately this will not get you a work permit quickly.

You can certainly apply for social aid.

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
To obtain the work permit, the applicant has to pass the eligibility interview. Unfortunately, eligibility interviews were suspended back in March 2020 and applicants have been waiting ever since :/
To have an employer's support for a work permit is currently useless because the only key to the next step is the eligibility interview. Plus, it's a different immigration process. The only solution is to apply for social aid and wait. I wish you best of luck.

Reactions: scylla

Zoilaga

Feb 8, 2021
They just said returning interview and they asked me about the documents that I need to bring l! But it’s the next step.... Let see! Fingers cross

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
biometric and picture did and they said will call for an interview that is all for now.. however, the letter was for an interview and biometrics. Good luck everyone