+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum seekers awaiting eligibility interview; any update?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Hi, I wanted to know if anyone has updates regarding the eligibility interview for refugee claimants in Montreal. My request was submitted end of July/ Early August. I still haven't heard anything about my eligibility interview and work permit.
Medical exam: Done
AOR: well received.
However, no more information was communicated to me and I'am very worried and I feel almost desperate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I wanted to know if anyone has updates regarding the eligibility interview for refugee claimants in Montreal. My request was submitted end of July/ Early August. I still haven't heard anything about my eligibility interview and work permit.
However, no more information was communicated to me and I'am very worried and I feel almost desperate.
To the best of my knowledge, it's still taking over a year for interviews to be booked for most individuals from the time the refugee claim was made. So I think your timelines look normal from that perspective.

I don't know the current processing times for the work permit. Did you apply for that in July / August as well? I'm sure someone else here will be able to comment on that specifically.

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
To the best of my knowledge, it's still taking over a year for interviews to be booked for most individuals from the time the refugee claim was made. So I think your timelines look normal from that perspective.

I don't know the current processing times for the work permit. Did you apply for that in July / August as well? I'm sure someone else here will be able to comment on that specifically.
I didn't make a separate work permit as its included automatically in the asylum application. IRCC customer service has informed me that work permits cannot be processed before the eligibility interview. So according to you, if it takes over a year to have the interview, then the work permit process takes more time than that :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I didn't make a separate work permit as its included automatically in the asylum application. IRCC customer service has informed me that work permits cannot be processed before the eligibility interview. So according to you, if it takes over a year to have the interview, then the work permit process takes more time than that :(
To the best of my knowledge you can get a work permit before the eligibility interview.

profugus

Nov 25, 2017
I submitted my initial application in Mississauga in January 2018. My eligibility hearing was three weeks later.

Vancouver93

Star Member
Apr 18, 2020
I'm facing the same issue as well. Submitted everything and no word from IRCC. They just said they recently started sending the applications to IRB. They are the ones who will call you for eligibility interview. For now we wait

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
I'm facing the same issue as well. Submitted everything and no word from IRCC. They just said they recently started sending the applications to IRB. They are the ones who will call you for eligibility interview. For now we wait
When did you apply??

Last edited:

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
Did you get in touch with them?
yes my counsel had epost but suddenly they remove so he emailed and call so they replied you have to wait for either we will send fingerprint or eligibility request and then your client has to appear until then please wait

Reactions: Jamie90

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
yes my counsel had epost but suddenly they remove so he emailed and call so they replied you have to wait for either we will send fingerprint or eligibility request and then your client has to appear until then please wait
They removed the epost thread for me as well. The eligibility process usually takes up to 3 weeks, but this time it's been taking almost a year for a lot of people. I hope we get updates soon, the smallest update is useful. Best of luck to you.

zak86

Nov 13, 2019
They removed the epost thread for me as well. The eligibility process usually takes up to 3 weeks, but this time it's been taking almost a year for a lot of people. I hope we get updates soon, the smallest update is useful. Best of luck to you.
true called so got a reply just wait. things are closed so the only option is to wait for the next step wondering when we all will be able to get the hearing date

Zoilaga

Feb 8, 2021
Anyone with a similar application during COVID is welcome to share their experience.
I am in the same situation but in Alberta.
I am waiting for the biometrics appointment (and interview and WORK permit) it was cancel the day before my appointment on November and I am still waiting... I am desperate

• Sad
Reactions: Jamie90