+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum seekers awaiting eligibility interview; any update?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
I am in the same situation but in Alberta.
I am waiting for the biometrics appointment (and interview and WORK permit) it was cancel the day before my appointment on November and I am still waiting... I am desperate
I'm so sorry :(
when did you apply?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Yes! And I want to know where we can see when they will re open again? Or at least have an idea
they're not providing us with any information that could reassure us. People are getting traumatised by waiting to have an eligibility interview for almost a year now. :/ It's not okay to continue this way.. people really need to work.

hba152

Feb 12, 2021
Hello everyone,
I'm new in this forum. Actually I want to apply for refugees protection. I'm currently in Toronto.
Is there any difference between Toronto and Vancouver?

As I see, many applicants applied in Toronto last year and there is no clear timeline for their eligibility interview. What about Vancouver?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Hello everyone,
I'm new in this forum. Actually I want to apply for refugees protection. I'm currently in Toronto.
Is there any difference between Toronto and Vancouver?

As I see, many applicants applied in Toronto last year and there is no clear timeline for their eligibility interview. What about Vancouver?
Currently, everything is the same, everywhere in Canada. People are waiting.

Reactions: hba152

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
what do people do for year while waiting and not allowed to work? how do they survive?
We do the best we can to survive. social aid is not enough. It's hard, frustrating, and everyday we are losing people to anxiety, depression, trauma, etc... It has been cruel for all of us to wait for almost a year, with no information, no emails, no apologies, nothing. We don't know if some people have been able to survive the cold winter because most shelters are not open due to COVID. It's not easy.

hba152

Feb 12, 2021
We do the best we can to survive. social aid is not enough. It's hard, frustrating, and everyday we are losing people to anxiety, depression, trauma, etc... It has been cruel for all of us to wait for almost a year, with no information, no emails, no apologies, nothing. We don't know if some people have been able to survive the cold winter because most shelters are not open due to COVID. It's not easy.
In the Canada website says they are not issue "free work permit". Does it means that they still issue work permit if you pay for it?

Jamie90

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
In the Canada website says they are not issue "free work permit". Does it means that they still issue work permit if you pay for it?
they won't issue work permits (paid or unpaid) to asylum seekers until their eligibility is assessed.

David1905

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Have you recieved the letter of acknowledgment for medical exam and it says the interview is delay due to COVID until they resume as usual? or are you just waiting without any information?

Reactions: Jamie90