+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asylum question

Dermaiii

Sep 12, 2018
A year ago, I've applied for a student visa and gave my biometrics. My application was denied. A year later I fled the country I was living in and was wondering about what my chances will be knowing that the govt knows my data, and I will have to register to the UN under a different name out of necessity. My question is, will my asylum claim be denied due to the fact that the govt has my data, and that i will be using a different name.

Thank you for anyone who took the time to read this, i appreciate it dearly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A year ago, I've applied for a student visa and gave my biometrics. My application was denied. A year later I fled the country I was living in and was wondering about what my chances will be knowing that the govt knows my data, and I will have to register to the UN under a different name out of necessity. My question is, will my asylum claim be denied due to the fact that the govt has my data, and that i will be using a different name.

Thank you for anyone who took the time to read this, i appreciate it dearly.
I don’t understand why you needed to register with UNHCR with a false name. Yes it is likely to cause problems. How are you claiming asylum in Canada? Have you been offered to be resettled by UNHCR?

Dermaiii

Sep 12, 2018
I don’t understand why you needed to register with UNHCR with a false name. Yes it is likely to cause problems. How are you claiming asylum in Canada? Have you been offered to be resettled by UNHCR?
Thanks for responding btw
Firstly, I haven't registered to UNHCR yet, but before I do that I'll have to change my name, because my name in my national country's database is different from the name I was using in the country I fled from, I'm not sure why that was the case, but it'll be changed regardless, and I do plan on being sponsored, with the help of some people

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for responding btw
Firstly, I haven't registered to UNHCR yet, but before I do that I'll have to change my name, because my name in my national country's database is different from the name I was using in the country I fled from, I'm not sure why that was the case, but it'll be changed regardless, and I do plan on being sponsored, with the help of some people
You are going to run into issues if you have a different name than the name you applied under for your study permit. It would be much better to use a consistent name that has been used on all your identification and previous applications. I think you need to research private sponsorship. It is much more complicated than you may imagine.

Dermaiii

Sep 12, 2018
You are going to run into issues if you have a different name than the name you applied under for your study permit. It would be much better to use a consistent name that has been used on all your identification and previous applications. I think you need to research private sponsorship. It is much more complicated than you may imagine.
Will mentioning the fact I changed my name help?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will mentioning the fact I changed my name help?
Unless you have legal records saying you have legally changed your name it looks suspicious that you are using another name. If you applied for a study permit you must have a passport. You should be using the name on your passport.

Dermaiii

Sep 12, 2018
Unless you have legal records saying you have legally changed your name it looks suspicious that you are using another name. If you applied for a study permit you must have a passport. You should be using the name on your passport.
My passport name will change with it, I wouldn't have changed it if I wasn't obligated to do so

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My passport name will change with it, I wouldn't have changed it if I wasn't obligated to do so
It will certainly cause concerns when it comes to security or background check. You will also have to be upfront in any applications that you previously applied under another name.

Dermaiii

Sep 12, 2018
It will certainly cause concerns when it comes to security or background check. You will also have to be upfront in any applications that you previously applied under another name.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind
Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it