+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ASYLUM CLAIM AT TORONTO AIRPORT

Ararso

Mar 21, 2018
I'm planning to claim asylum at airport in Toronto. I will be going there after two weeks.
I will be going to Canada on a study permit. The school is in Victoria, BC whereas I planned to travel to Toronto and make my claim there.
Anyone out-there who went through the same process recently or has an experience, please advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just be aware that if your claim is denied there will be no possibility to study in Canada. It will also limit your ability to travel or study in many countries. Have you considered studying and then getting a PGWP and then applying for PR? That is a much safer way to be able to stay in Canada.

Reactions: bellaluna

Ararso

Mar 21, 2018
Just be aware that if your claim is denied there will be no possibility to study in Canada. It will also limit your ability to travel or study in many countries. Have you considered studying and then getting a PGWP and then applying for PR? That is a much safer way to be able to stay in Canada.
Thank you.
I do have a strong evidence that I believe my claim could be accepted. I have a limited access to the fund required to study there. That's why i decided to do so.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was also puzzled by this. You should be aware that if you were able to prove that you had the funds to study in Canada you may not qualify qualify for things like legal aid, social assistance, etc

Ararso

Mar 21, 2018
I had to do something else with a money I put aside to study. I can proof that that fund is no longer available.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So what grounds do you have to claim asylum given one of the conditions of approving a study permit is that the applicant has demonstrated they will return to their home country on completion of their studies. This implies to immigration in my view that the applicants home country is a safe country for the applicant to return to so no need to provide asylum.

Am sure immigration will heavily scrutinise your study permit application to assess whether you misrepresented yourself in any way to gain approval as a means to get to Canada in the first place regardless of the funds situation.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I think this sounds like it could be big misrepresentation to get the study permit, if as you say you have limited funds. What is the strong evidence you have that a claim for Asylum will be accepted? As you now have a study permit, in my opinion you have very little chance to claim for asylum now.

Refugeee

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
Thank you.
I do have a strong evidence that I believe my claim could be accepted. That's why i decided to do so.
That statement alone tells any thinking person that asylum was the reason you applied for a study permit and not study itself.
Let's hope the person hearing your claim isn't as observant as me or any or basic thinking individual.
Good luck.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your personal perspective), how an individual gets to Canada to claim assylum is not considered during the initial assessment by CBSA. If I am not mistaken, it’s specifically excluded as a reason for refusal/denial.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your personal perspective), how an individual gets to Canada to claim assylum is not considered during the initial assessment by CBSA. If I am not mistaken, it’s specifically excluded as a reason for refusal/denial.
Unless I missed it the main things the OP has not shared are is home country from where they are escaping some sort of persecution or personal safety issue to claim asylum and what their case is for asylum.

Without that background I guess all we are doing is making a judgement on the OP using a study permit as a means to get to the border legally.

As we all know here getting a study permit in the first place is not an easy task hence my previous post that the OP must have been very convincing that they could return safely to their home country at the end of their studies. Yet now all of a sudden it is not safe to return which might be the case if some war had been declared for example.

Without some more basic facts difficult to really comment further.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Yes we need more information, but you can't just decide, hey I have no money left lets claim for asylum.