+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asking for my status (PLEASE HELP)

Madane

Oct 3, 2015
Hello guys,

First of all, I just graduated from York University. My study permit is still valid until March 2016. (Today is October 3rd 2015). But my TRV has been expired. (I have researched that if you go to US and US only, you can come back to Canada with only a valid study permit).

I just submitted my online application for Post Graduation Work Permit today so now I'm still waiting for the result. My question is, am I currently under implied status? Or am I still under my valid study permit?

As far as my understanding, my study permit will still be valid for 90 days after I graduated, but I don't know if it's still going to be valid after I submitted my application for PGWP.

The thing is, I have a plan to go to US with my family on October 15th and I'm planning to go back to Canada on October 24th. Both trips are to be by land and it would still be within the 90 days period.

-Am I still going to be allowed to come back to Canada, given the conditions above?
-If I'm under implied status, would it revoke my implied status?
-Actually I know you can start working full time with an implied status. However if let's say I'm allowed to come back to Canada with the above conditions, can I still work full time?

Thanks before!

Poojaree

Apr 29, 2015
No

Madane said:
Hello guys,

First of all, I just graduated from York University. My study permit is still valid until March 2016. (Today is October 3rd 2015). But my TRV has been expired. (I have researched that if you go to US and US only, you can come back to Canada with only a valid study permit).

I just submitted my online application for Post Graduation Work Permit today so now I'm still waiting for the result. My question is, am I currently under implied status? Or am I still under my valid study permit?

As far as my understanding, my study permit will still be valid for 90 days after I graduated, but I don't know if it's still going to be valid after I submitted my application for PGWP.

The thing is, I have a plan to go to US with my family on October 15th and I'm planning to go back to Canada on October 24th. Both trips are to be by land and it would still be within the 90 days period.

-Am I still going to be allowed to come back to Canada, given the conditions above?
-If I'm under implied status, would it revoke my implied status?
-Actually I know you can start working full time with an implied status. However if let's say I'm allowed to come back to Canada with the above conditions, can I still work full time?

Thanks before!

saja_roy

Sep 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
29-01-2015 RCMP certificate
Nomination.....
Not applicable
AOR Received.
28-07-2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
11-08-2014
Med's Request
16-07-2015 RPRF Req 20-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-08-2015 ecas updated medical received on 22-04-2016
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
09-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
13-May-2016 passport received 30th-May2016
LANDED..........
04-06-2016
Madane said:
Hello guys,

-Am I still going to be allowed to come back to Canada, given the conditions above? - yes show the border security officer your study permit which is going to be expired in March 2016.
-If I'm under implied status, would it revoke my implied status? - you will be in implied status only when your existing study work permit expires and you don't get the PGWP by that time. so you are not in implied status untill mar 2016.
-Actually I know you can start working full time with an implied status. However if let's say I'm allowed to come back to Canada with the above conditions, can I still work full time? yes

Thanks before!

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
I believe as long as your study permit is valid u can come back.. however i do suggest get US visa as it barely is a 4-5 days process.. I had an interview one day when they kept my passport for visa stamping.. got it back in 3 days... so i suggest just get VISA on the safer side as u hv enough time.. if u can get an appointment scheduled ASAP

Madane

Oct 3, 2015
mesumrizvi said:
I believe as long as your study permit is valid u can come back.. however i do suggest get US visa as it barely is a 4-5 days process.. I had an interview one day when they kept my passport for visa stamping.. got it back in 3 days... so i suggest just get VISA on the safer side as u hv enough time.. if u can get an appointment scheduled ASAP

Thanks for your answer.

I do have a US Visa. The problem is because I don't know if I would be under implied status because I have submitted my online application for PGWP.. I just don't want them to stop me at the border and I have to go back to US or be able to enter Canada as a visitor only.. Do you think such things would be a risk?

Thanks before

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Madane said:
Hello guys,

First of all, I just graduated from York University. My study permit is still valid until March 2016. (Today is October 3rd 2015). But my TRV has been expired. (I have researched that if you go to US and US only, you can come back to Canada with only a valid study permit).That is true. See this (Part 9, Division 5, Section 190:3f): http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-84.html#h-106

I just submitted my online application for Post Graduation Work Permit today so now I'm still waiting for the result. My question is, am I currently under implied status? Or am I still under my valid study permit? You are under your valid study permit. If the study permit expires before your post-graduate work permit, you will be in 'implied status' at that point because you applied for your post-graduate work permit before the study permit expired.

As far as my understanding, my study permit will still be valid for 90 days after I graduated, but I don't know if it's still going to be valid after I submitted my application for PGWP. I don't know.

The thing is, I have a plan to go to US with my family on October 15th and I'm planning to go back to Canada on October 24th. Both trips are to be by land and it would still be within the 90 days period. I prefer to have a TRV just to be on the safe side. But it's probably too late to get a TRV in time for your trip. Since you are going by land, why not re-schedule the trip, apply for a TRV from CPP-Ottawa, then travel?

-Am I still going to be allowed to come back to Canada, given the conditions above? With a valid study permit, you should be allowed into Canada under normal circumstances but there are no guarantees. Only a border officer can make that decision.
-If I'm under implied status, would it revoke my implied status? If you are in implied status and leave Canada, you will lose implied status.
-Actually I know you can start working full time with an implied status. However if let's say I'm allowed to come back to Canada with the above conditions, can I still work full time? You can continue to work under 'implied status' as long as you do not leave Canada. If you leave Canada while under implied status, you will lose that status. Even if you are allowed back into Canada, you must not work until you receive your work permit. If you do, you will be working illegally and can be asked to leave Canada within 30 days if caught which puts your future PR application in jeopardy.

Thanks before!