+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Asked to get my stamps on the passport translated during the interview

Lulu91

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone. So I had my test/interview on February 8,2020. I passed the test and the interviewer was very nice and told me to just get the translations in within 2 weeks and I shouldn’t experience a delay. I sent them out and they arrived at the Scarborough Office on Feb 14th. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how long would it take to see “Decision Made”? I feel like I’m frantically checking to see if there are any status updates. Has anyone else had to send in their passport stamp translations after their interview? Thanks in advance!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi everyone. So I had my test/interview on February 8,2020. I passed the test and the interviewer was very nice and told me to just get the translations in within 2 weeks and I shouldn’t experience a delay. I sent them out and they arrived at the Scarborough Office on Feb 14th. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and how long would it take to see “Decision Made”? I feel like I’m frantically checking to see if there are any status updates. Has anyone else had to send in their passport stamp translations after their interview? Thanks in advance!
I can't answer your question on timings but I would say that every single ECAS update (including DM) I recall seeing has been made overnight. I'm pretty sure IRCC just queues these up and the run overnight. While I often saw updates around 7:30am when I would first check the status, those updates were not typically there the night before nor did they ever appear during the day.

So I'd try and refrain yourself from checking numerous times. Also note that ECAS updates can often be dated days before it updates. So in your case having passed on Feb 8th, and received 14th I'd give IRCC a call and just ask for an update.

But honestly I wouldn't worry too much as while they arrived the 14th someone has to move the piece of paper to the right pile and that is a very very busy office (ie: 1800 oaths in 3 days).

Reactions: Lulu91

Chrisstina

Sep 14, 2018
I can't answer your question on timings but I would say that every single ECAS update (including DM) I recall seeing has been made overnight. I'm pretty sure IRCC just queues these up and the run overnight. While I often saw updates around 7:30am when I would first check the status, those updates were not typically there the night before nor did they ever appear during the day.

So I'd try and refrain yourself from checking numerous times. Also note that ECAS updates can often be dated days before it updates. So in your case having passed on Feb 8th, and received 14th I'd give IRCC a call and just ask for an update.

But honestly I wouldn't worry too much as while they arrived the 14th someone has to move the piece of paper to the right pile and that is a very very busy office (ie: 1800 oaths in 3 days).
Hi Jc94
You have very correctly shared your views that changes made to day by IRCC is reflectiung in ecas on the following day. In my case too.AOR,IP , interview and DM was visible on the next day after 7 to 8 am. Further you also very preciously advised to contact IRCC for up dation of decision of interviewer.

visaforca

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Calgary
Just quick question, is your stamps(traveled time) comes under your citizenship eligibility period(last 5 years)or you forgot to submit translation when you submit your application?

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just quick question, is your stamps(traveled time) comes under your citizenship eligibility period(last 5 years)or you forgot to submit translation when you submit your application?
I can't answer for OP, but it won't matter. If it is asked to be translated, then officer could not read the dates, hence could not determine if it was in the eligibility period or not. Therefore, they all need to be translated.

Lulu91

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
I had stamps within the eligibility period and outside the period but it wouldn’t matter anyways. The stamps are not in English/French and I was asked to translate them to verify that I meet that the eligibility criteria. Also ,keep in mind that you do not have to submit these translations with your application so I didn’t forget to send them. I do advise anyone who has stamps in any other language to have them translated before your interview. They might not ask for them but if they do at least it won’t cause any further delay.

Reactions: visaforca

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
I have a lot of trips in/out of countries that don't stamp passports, how do I explain those exits/entries.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I have a lot of trips in/out of countries that don't stamp passports, how do I explain those exits/entries.
Just list the dates and if they ask explain that those countries don't stamp. Assume this is either EU countries on an EU passport or electronic entries like many ports in UK/NZ/AU etc...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I do advise anyone who has stamps in any other language to have them translated before your interview. They might not ask for them but if they do at least it won’t cause any further delay.
Good idea.

That said, just for clarification, the instructions do say to have stamps translated . . . not specifically "stamps" but ANY DOCUMENTS not in one of the official languages. This is a STANDARD instruction for most IRCC application processing. It is repeated multiple times in the guide for the citizenship application.

And of course the passport is a document. So, if and when it is submitted or presented for examination, if it has information in it which is not in one of the official languages, it is covered by the instructions that clearly say such documents should be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation of the information that is not in one of the official languages.

Not necessary to do this at the time of making the application (unless there is information on the passport bio pages which is not in one of the official languages) because there is no information submitted (in the copies submitted) that is not in an official language. But for the interview, the whole passport is presented, and specifically so for the purpose of allowing an inspection or examination of the information included in stamped pages.

REASON for CONFUSION:

However, IRCC does not uniformly or consistently enforce these instructions. IRCC does NOT engage in gotcha games, and accordingly all sorts of minor slips and stumbles, and failures to follow the instructions, do not result in extra-processing let alone derail the application process. If there are minor mistakes, inconsequential inconsistencies, small discrepancies, even omissions so long as they are not significant and do not affect eligibility, and IRCC personnel are otherwise readily satisfied with the application and the applicant, many, many times there is NO PROBLEM.

Thus, many have reported not having stamps translated without it being brought up at any time, not at the interview and not otherwise, let alone it being an issue. Me included.

BUT more than occasionally IRCC will enforce the instruction to provide a properly authenticated translation of any document containing information that is not in one of the official languages.

This is one of those aspects of the processing which illustrates why the oft posted logic: "it was OK for me, so it will be OK," is erroneous. That's not how things work. Not even close.

In particular, not all non-official language stamps are created equal. Not all presence calculation related information is created equal. So sometimes the failure to follow the instructions and bring a properly authenticated translation is not even mentioned, no hint of a problem (my experience). Other times the failure to follow the instructions and bring a properly authenticated translation will lead to a request to the applicant to provide this after the interview. For qualified applicants with a solid application, nothing in their application or records to invite concerns or questions, this is usually the worst of it, having to scramble to get a translation soon and submit it, and hope that has very little impact on the timeline. But sure, sometimes this is one more straw-on-the-camel's-back, and sometimes it is an even bigger load than that if there are a lot of stamps needing translation and the applicant's travel history is already inviting questions.

As always, best approach is to follow the instructions. The instructions are to have a properly authenticated translation for ANY DOCUMENT (including passports of course) containing information that is not in one of the official languages.

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
Hello all,

I am preparing my application for citizenship and have a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to send a copy of all the stamped pages of my passport? I know they have mentioned only bio pages but in that case, how would they verify my entry/exits from Canada?
2. I had submitted my IELTS certificate at the time of my PR application and I am going to send the same this time too. However, my spouse also has her IELTS certificate but we never used that for her PR application. Can she use that now? She also has her bachelor's and master's transcript and certificates but nowhere it is mentioned that medium of instructions was English.

I would be grateful if someone can share their experiences.