+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

As a student, can I buy and register a car in BC with a US driver’s license?

Angela CM

Nov 15, 2022
Hi, I’m completely out of ideas now. I’ve Googled all I can and I really didn’t think it would be this complicated…

Can I buy a car and register it in BC, and get BC insurance if I have a valid study permit (enrolled full time in a DLI) and US driver license?

The BC government website says full time student in a DLI can continue to drive with their original license for as long as they are a student have their student ID with them.
ICBC website says students need to apply for an exemption permit to drive on their original license. But to apply, you need car registration information.
None of them give me any information on how to register a car under study permit and original drivers license.

I think they’re assuming US student would drive their car to Canada.
I have a car in the US, but I’m from NJ, it’s all the way on the other side of the continent. So no, I wasn’t planning to drive to BC.
I thought about transporting my car. But it’s a old car (2009), so I thought I would use this as a chance to get another newer car. Then I left my car with my sister.

Yes, I know if I get a BC license everything would be sort out.
That was the original plan and that’s where the main problem is.

I was not able to get a BC license because I was not able to prove my driving experience. This is an issue that people from NJ who recently renewed their license are likely to experience. Please see this post if you want to know the details, I can’t get myself to repeat that again… https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/issue-with-new-jersey-driver-license-exchange-in-ontario.459330/post-10273435
The only hope I have right now to get a BC license, is to submit what’s called a DO-11 to the Motor Vehicle office in NJ to request a proof of previous expired license.
That would take more than 40+ days. And I don’t know if it would even work. I read through the thread on this issue, and seems like DO-11 worked for some people but didn’t work for some other.

But I really need a car right now.
I’m in Vancouver right now to visit friends, but I’m heading to Victoria next week to start work. I got myself a part time job.

I’m not planning to live without a car.
I get serious motion sick when I’m not the driver. Be it bus, train, boat, or Uber, I can’t do it without taking motion sickness pills ahead of time. And even with the pill, I still feel sick, just not as sick as I want to die. These few days without a car is killing me already. I can’t commute to work five days a week (before school starts I’ll be doing more hours) on public transportation.

Yes, worst case I would suck it up and live on public transport for 40+ days to wait for the paperwork. And pay extra to either rent a car or fly to Victoria from Vancouver… Or postpone start day of work and make a bad impression on my new boss and stay longer in Vancouver to save money. Please don’t give me this as your suggestion. I am prepared for the worst, I’m here posting this question because I still have little hope in this messed up system.
Thank you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would you be able join membership such as evo so that you can drive whenever you need one? Btw, I saw New Jersey plated cars here in BC from time to time and I drove my BC plated car to New Jersey before.

frange

May 25, 2018
He can use his US car (if he has one) in Canada while under a temporary status such as work or student permit. For car insurance, he has to clear that with the provider (insurer).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also, wouldn't it be easier if you buy a WA plated car instead?

Angela CM

Nov 15, 2022
Thanks for the advice. I will look into evo. Yes, I could transport my car from NJ to over here. It’d be last resort because it’s an old car and I already offered it to my sister for her to commute to college. Also I can’t get a car with WA plate because I’m not a resident in that state, I can’t register a car in WA. But thank you.