+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Artist Immigration

onebluebird

Nov 18, 2017
I am a freelance photographer from India. I want to move to Canada permanently and hope to continue working there. I am completely new to this idea and have never been in Canada before. I am currently self employed and want to continue to be self employed in Canada through my art. I have some experience in film making and have a portfolio of exceptional fine arts which I learned myself, as well as my photography. I also write scripts and can perform musically. Based on these skills and interests, I wanted to know how I go about immigration into Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada has a self employment immigration stream that includes artists. The bad news is that processing times for this stream are very long (6+ years). Also - you must be a world class artist to be accepted - this means that you must be internationally recognized in your field. It doesn't sound like you are at that level yet - so the self employment stream isn't an option for you.

If you have at least a year of full time paid work experience and can prove this work experience, the you can look into other ways of immigrating to Canada. I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program. Details can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

onebluebird

Nov 18, 2017
Canada has a self employment immigration stream that includes artists. The bad news is that processing times for this stream are very long (6+ years). Also - you must be a world class artist to be accepted - this means that you must be internationally recognized in your field. It doesn't sound like you are at that level yet - so the self employment stream isn't an option for you.

If you have at least a year of full time paid work experience and can prove this work experience, the you can look into other ways of immigrating to Canada. I would recommend you start by researching the Express Entry program. Details can be found here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Thank you so much. I'll keep in mind what you've said. And check the Express Entry Program like you have suggested.

maryamoj

Nov 22, 2016

Hello,
if the express entry scores are not high enough for an artist to receive an EIT (invitation to apply), there is no chance for the NOC 5136 to immigrate to Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
if the express entry scores are not high enough for an artist to receive an EIT (invitation to apply), there is no chance for the NOC 5136 to immigrate to Canada?
If scores aren't high enough for EE - then they should look into the provincial nomination programs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the same conditions as onebluebird, with the difference that I live in Iran and I am a girl.
please guide me...:(
تور سرعین
See responses above. They apply to you as well. The fact you are a girl isn't relevant. The process of applying is the same whether you are male or female.

delarammash

Aug 11, 2018
Category........
See responses above. They apply to you as well. The fact you are a girl isn't relevant. The process of applying is the same whether you are male or female.
I read the previous answers. I realized a little.
Thank you dear friend.:)

franticphenom

Jun 6, 2019
I am also looking at this opportunity and found this on the following site.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/self-employed/eligibility.html

"Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
  • for cultural activities:
    1. 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
    2. 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
    3. a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
  • for athletics:
    1. 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
    2. 2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
    3. a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above"

And the site says it takes only 23 months if you provide all the details properly. But I am wondering what is the real & current scenario.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I am also looking at this opportunity and found this on the following site.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/self-employed/eligibility.html

"Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
  • for cultural activities:
    1. 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
    2. 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
    3. a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
  • for athletics:
    1. 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
    2. 2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
    3. a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above"

And the site says it takes only 23 months if you provide all the details properly. But I am wondering what is the real & current scenario.
23 months is reasonably accurate. It depends on your profile, the documents you submit and so on, but you can expect to get a PR (assuming you meet all the requirements) in 2 years or maybe bit more.

Jan 21, 2020
Hi My name is Ranjan shrestha And I am a National/International Player of Taekwondo (Martial Arts) representing Nepal. I have take part in lots of International tournaments, like (world championships, Asain Games,Youth Olympic and many mor international championships do i meet the caitreya

nat4lp

Jun 16, 2019
Category........
BUSINESS
NOC Code......
Hi My name is Ranjan shrestha And I am a National/International Player of Taekwondo (Martial Arts) representing Nepal. I have take part in lots of International tournaments, like (world championships, Asain Games,Youth Olympic and many mor international championships do i meet the caitreya

Hi Ranjan,
Based on what you have described, it looks like you might be eligible provided that if you can prove this. Currently, I am doing this for my spouse is a designer. Too many documents on top of the regular forms to mee the criteria and it has a good wait time compared to other streams. Based on my analysis, only a few are aware of the entire process.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the same conditions as onebluebird, with the difference that I live in Iran and I am a girl.
please guide me
تور کیش
The answer is the same. It doesn't matter where you live or what your gender is.