+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Are you living together now?"

TeAmoSweetheart

Sep 7, 2017
In section C, (Information about relationship), what should I answer to the question "Are you living together now?" Yes or no? My husband (from the USA) is staying with me here in Canada and we are basically living together while waiting for word about his visitor extension and while working on the application forms for immigration. Is this considered living together? Also, if I do put "yes" to living together, what do I say to the question "If you are not living together, have you visited each other during your relationship?" This is a tough one. My husband lived in the USA and I have lived in Canada during our relationship. He came for a visit (summer 2017) and we got married in August. We applied for visitor extension and are waiting for approval on that while we are applying for spousal sponsorship for him to live here.

So, in some areas of the forms, I have been told to put "Canada" as his country of residence but I am really not sure what to fill in for these areas. Is this considered a "visit" still or is he considered as "living in Canada"? And if I do select "yes" for the living in Canada part, what should I do for the area that requires details about the visits, since it is only an option when choosing "no" as living together. I am getting more and more confused.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
In section C, (Information about relationship), what should I answer to the question "Are you living together now?" Yes or no? My husband (from the USA) is staying with me here in Canada and we are basically living together while waiting for word about his visitor extension and while working on the application forms for immigration. Is this considered living together? Also, if I do put "yes" to living together, what do I say to the question "If you are not living together, have you visited each other during your relationship?" This is a tough one. My husband lived in the USA and I have lived in Canada during our relationship. He came for a visit (summer 2017) and we got married in August. We applied for visitor extension and are waiting for approval on that while we are applying for spousal sponsorship for him to live here.

So, in some areas of the forms, I have been told to put "Canada" as his country of residence but I am really not sure what to fill in for these areas. Is this considered a "visit" still or is he considered as "living in Canada"? And if I do select "yes" for the living in Canada part, what should I do for the area that requires details about the visits, since it is only an option when choosing "no" as living together. I am getting more and more confused.

If he is here with you with no intent to return to the US (I know you're waiting on visitor extension approval) then he is living here yes.

By answering yes you do not HAVE to put in the evidence of visiting each other.

You can however include proof of visits at the end of the application if you really feel its important. I included a few pages at the end of my application with evidence I felt important/useful, but it didn't really fall into a category. Don't send too much extra though..if they want more they will ask for it.

(I applied common law though, not spousal)

kailu

Star Member
Dec 6, 2016
MB
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Missisauga
AOR Received.
19/01/2018
File Transfer...
12-02-2018
Med's Request
05-02-2018
Med's Done....
13-02-2018
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2018
LANDED..........
11-06-2018
You would want to put yes. I assume his intent is also to wait in Canada while you are doing your sponsorship. (That and when he says he is 'going home' I would think he means to your residency in Canada not the US.) :D

I am waiting on an extension and put yes. - then inserted the receipt for the extension in the application as well.

Reactions: TeAmoSweetheart

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
Hey,

If you guys are already married, why don't you apply for Spouse Work Permit for him?
Its very easy. Just take the marriage certificate and his existing visitor visa to any border and they will process it in 30 min.
Cost: $255.

This will allow him to work and stay here for 2 years while his application is in progress.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey,

If you guys are already married, why don't you apply for Spouse Work Permit for him?
Its very easy. Just take the marriage certificate and his existing visitor visa to any border and they will process it in 30 min.

This will allow him to work and stay here for 2 years while his application is in progress.
I have not heard of this type of work permit via Spousal sponsorship.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Then why are people waiting for 4 month for their OWP (inland spousal application) when they can get it at the border in 30 min??

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey,

This applies to spouses of skilled temporary workers and international students, not to spouses of Canadian citizens or PRs.

Reactions: YVR123

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
This applies to spouses of skilled temporary workers and international students, not to spouses of Canadian citizens or PRs.
My wife got her work permit when I was a temporary resident. I thought it would be same for PR's dependent too. My bad. However, online work permit application is fine, right?

And its better than visitor visa. because your spouse get health card too.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My wife got her work permit when I was a temporary resident. I thought it would be same for PR's dependent too. My bad. However, online work permit application is fine, right?

And its better than visitor visa. because your spouse get health card too.
That's not applicable for sponsor sponsor either.

The two processes are very different. Please restrain to give advice if you do not know what you've done applies to family sponsorship.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My friend got Open Work Permit while his PR application was under process under family class. And he applied online and got an open work permit for 2 years. o_O

How did he get it then?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17

and sa per this link spouse are qualified to get OWP.
Your friend applied under the inland sponsorship OWP Pilot Program. An inland applicant can apply on paper along with their PR app or, depending on how far along their PR app is, online. This is COMPLETELY different from being able to apply for what is called here on the forum a "Spousal OWP". Again, the link you posted applies to spouses of skilled workers and students, NOT Canadian citizens/PRs.

Nov 10, 2018

Hello, me and my Husband are in the exact same boat as when you made this post, I was wondering if you did select that (YES) you were living together due to physically living together (although on a visit visa) and if your application went through well, having advice from what is an extremely similar situation would be most helpful, thanks in Advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, me and my Husband are in the exact same boat as when you made this post, I was wondering if you did select that (YES) you were living together due to physically living together (although on a visit visa) and if your application went through well, having advice from what is an extremely similar situation would be most helpful, thanks in Advance!
You can be living together regardless of whether your status is visitor, student, worker or illegal.

Reactions: TeAmoSweetheart