+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

gimli

Jan 9, 2016
I have read all the 10 pages and cant find answer to my situation really. Any leads please?
Evisa still hasnt opened and I need to travel for 4 weeks within the 90 day grace period in December. I have a Canadian passport and have sent my Indian passport for surrender, which will take who knows how much time! Acquired citizenship on Oct25. Not sure if could go with an already surrendered Indian passport, without a visa.
eVisa for Canadians have opened.

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
Yes I have heard that they need a reasonable explanation. So rather than not taking oath, I am thinking to take it and then travel on Indian passport as there is 3 month grace period.
Has anyone else travelled recently like that? Did they had any difficulty? I would really appreciate if they share the experience as I have tough timeline.
The only problem that case arise in your travel to India is:
- you go thru security here in Canada at the airport.
- your flight is delayed more than 12 hours or even cancelled for whatever reason
- in that case you have to exit the airport (and go thru immigration)
- if you are able to get your canadian passport before you leave, you must do that

jaskaran90

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Sharing our experience on traveling with 2 passports. I got my e-visa prior to it being shut in August but this post is focused on my wife’s travels on 2 passports as we couldn’t have moved our trip as we had multiple destination bookings over the course of 4ish weeks. E-visa actually shut on the day of her oath and we had no time to apply for OCI nor an entry visa as it opened up a few days before our travels.
We did a multi city tour from YYZ, spending a few days in New York (traveled on Canadian passport by air), then a week in Italy (traveled on Indian passport with Schengen visa) and then finally ended in Delhi (my wife entered on Indian passport and no questions were asked nor she was asked to provide her Canadian status document) … this was the easier part of the trip.

On our return back to Canada from India, we ended up booking and canceling a few different routes (via US, via Korea, via London, Via Amsterdam) over the span of a few days to just ensure she has no issues leaving India and onward, but we decided on traveling via Dubai using a one-way ticket. My wife used her Indian passport with a Dubai e-visa (applied in advance as we did not want to use visa on arrival as US visa mentioned PR status) and checked-in after visa & passport verification in Delhi. Immigration in Delhi asked her no questions as the trip was shown only till Dubai. We landed in Dubai and used our Canadian passports to pass through entry & exit immigration, the UAE immigration asked if my wife had 2 passports and she said yes, and that’s about it…they stamped her entry into Dubai without any issues. We collected our bags and then had to check in again for our flight to Toronto via Amsterdam, we walked out of baggage claim and went upstairs to departures and checked in with Canadian passports without any issues. Even while exiting Dubai, no questions were asked and we conveniently boarded our flight to Toronto with a few hours transit in Amsterdam.

I know the risks we took with the above journey and please save the comments reminding us about it. Also, we travel A LOT for work and personal use so we know how to handle situations if they arise, and finding connections to make our trips work out…I do know that there will most likely be a fine that my wife will need to pay during surrender of her Indian passport which we will deal with.

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
Can we surrender Indian passport in India and use the surrender certificate from India to apply for OCI in Canada?

PratikD

Star Member
Feb 13, 2019
For sure, cheaper faster SC. If you are not travelling on Indian passport, no headache of obtaining exit permit either.
Thank you. Now, that e-visa is open, I am traveling on Canadian passport. Since, I'll be in India, easier to just surrender the passport and get the certificate same day. I'll come back to Canada on Canadian passport and apply for OCI in Canada using surrender certificate obtained in India.

Reactions: walter_white

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
@nivaan5
Any idea how to apply for OCI from India ?
You can apply for OCI only after you've stayed fr 6 months on a temporary visa like entry visa. You cannot apply for OCI from India while you are on e-visa. You have to apply for an entry visa first and then apply for OCI after 6 months of stay.
The process seems to be similar to that in Canada. You fill the application online and then submit it at FRRO. I haven't done it yet. So not sure about the exact process

Reactions: roy1947

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Sharing our experience on traveling with 2 passports. I got my e-visa prior to it being shut in August but this post is focused on my wife’s travels on 2 passports as we couldn’t have moved our trip as we had multiple destination bookings over the course of 4ish weeks. E-visa actually shut on the day of her oath and we had no time to apply for OCI nor an entry visa as it opened up a few days before our travels.
We did a multi city tour from YYZ, spending a few days in New York (traveled on Canadian passport by air), then a week in Italy (traveled on Indian passport with Schengen visa) and then finally ended in Delhi (my wife entered on Indian passport and no questions were asked nor she was asked to provide her Canadian status document) … this was the easier part of the trip.

On our return back to Canada from India, we ended up booking and canceling a few different routes (via US, via Korea, via London, Via Amsterdam) over the span of a few days to just ensure she has no issues leaving India and onward, but we decided on traveling via Dubai using a one-way ticket. My wife used her Indian passport with a Dubai e-visa (applied in advance as we did not want to use visa on arrival as US visa mentioned PR status) and checked-in after visa & passport verification in Delhi. Immigration in Delhi asked her no questions as the trip was shown only till Dubai. We landed in Dubai and used our Canadian passports to pass through entry & exit immigration, the UAE immigration asked if my wife had 2 passports and she said yes, and that’s about it…they stamped her entry into Dubai without any issues. We collected our bags and then had to check in again for our flight to Toronto via Amsterdam, we walked out of baggage claim and went upstairs to departures and checked in with Canadian passports without any issues. Even while exiting Dubai, no questions were asked and we conveniently boarded our flight to Toronto with a few hours transit in Amsterdam.

I know the risks we took with the above journey and please save the comments reminding us about it. Also, we travel A LOT for work and personal use so we know how to handle situations if they arise, and finding connections to make our trips work out…I do know that there will most likely be a fine that my wife will need to pay during surrender of her Indian passport which we will deal with.

jaskaran90

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Okay…whatever floats your boat, sharing first hand experience on traveling with 2 passports as it’s been asked again & again.