+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

raj jain

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
I have read all the 10 pages and cant find answer to my situation really. Any leads please?
Evisa still hasnt opened and I need to travel for 4 weeks within the 90 day grace period in December. I have a Canadian passport and have sent my Indian passport for surrender, which will take who knows how much time! Acquired citizenship on Oct25. Not sure if could go with an already surrendered Indian passport, without a visa.

Last edited:

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
I have read all the 10 pages and cant find answer to my situation really. Any leads please?
Evisa still hasnt opened and I need to travel for 4 weeks within the 90 day grace period in December. I have a Canadian passport and have sent my Indian passport for surrender, which will take who knows how much time! Acquired citizenship on Oct25. Not sure if could go with an already surrendered Indian passport, but without the visa.
Once you surrender you will receive the canceled passport back. It is no longer valid as a travel document. Best option is to apply for entry visa asap. I read that you can use the proof of SC application for entry visa application. You can try that.

raj jain

Star Member
Aug 12, 2018
Once you surrender you will receive the canceled passport back. It is no longer valid as a travel document. Best option is to apply for entry visa asap. I read that you can use the proof of SC application for entry visa application. You can try that.
Cool, i’ll look that up. That would certainly make the process faster. I was really hoping for cancelled passport to be valid within the grace period. But Well! Thank you

mm1901

Oct 7, 2023
Hello everyone.
I contacted FRRO helpline to check about the duration of Visa. I was told that entry visa is issued only up to 1 year. If you need for more duration then apply for extension later or apply for OCI. I also checked whether I would need an exit permit if I need to travel internationally. So they told me that I have been issued a multiple entry visa for 1 year. I will not need an exit permit as long as the visa is valid. I will have to apply for exit permit only if the visa has expired and if I need to exit India. They did not know in how much time we must exit India once exit permit is issued.
About OCI, I can only apply for OCI only after 6 months.
Thanks for all the information @nivaan5. One additional question on this is, how much time it took for you to get the surrender certificate and the entry visa once applied at FRRO in India?

Ocean.vp

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Wonderful thread and help from fellow members, Thank You. Read through it but have few further questions for details. Kindly help.

1. Travelling to India on Indian Passport and then surrender Indian Passport there and return on Canada Passport.
After passport surrender and with Surrender Certificate apply for Exit Certificate from FRRO, or will i need to apply for Entry Visa too (I plan to stay for 3 weeks within 3 months grace period). Or will Exit Certificate Suffice - for how long it is valid?

2. I read for surrender certificate, additional address proof was asked. Don't have address proof for same address as passport. What are the options?
And for surrender certificate also is surrender of Voter ID Card and Ration Card required or these are to be surrendered only for Entry Visa.

3. When travelling from US Using Indian passport (Drive from Canada to US) and then flight from US using Indian Passport (With Valid US Visa) and Holding Canadian Passport. While issuing i 94 while crossing border by car, Do US Border protection ask for canadian status which is not PR anymore but Citizen (and canada passport holder) so why using Indian Passport.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Thanks for all the information @nivaan5. One additional question on this is, how much time it took for you to get the surrender certificate and the entry visa once applied at FRRO in India?
I got the SC the same day. Got entry visa 12 days after application (2 government holidays in between)

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Wonderful thread and help from fellow members, Thank You. Read through it but have few further questions for details. Kindly help.

1. Travelling to India on Indian Passport and then surrender Indian Passport there and return on Canada Passport.
After passport surrender and with Surrender Certificate apply for Exit Certificate from FRRO, or will i need to apply for Entry Visa too (I plan to stay for 3 weeks within 3 months grace period). Or will Exit Certificate Suffice - for how long it is valid?

2. I read for surrender certificate, additional address proof was asked. Don't have address proof for same address as passport. What are the options?
And for surrender certificate also is surrender of Voter ID Card and Ration Card required or these are to be surrendered only for Entry Visa.

3. When travelling from US Using Indian passport (Drive from Canada to US) and then flight from US using Indian Passport (With Valid US Visa) and Holding Canadian Passport. While issuing i 94 while crossing border by car, Do US Border protection ask for canadian status which is not PR anymore but Citizen (and canada passport holder) so why using Indian Passport.
For SC they asked me for address proof of current address, not the address on the passport. the only proof I had, had a mistake in the name. So I used my spouse's address proof and attached our marriage certificate. (I was asked to show the original document of my spouse's address proof)
Surrender of voter ID and ration card was asked by FRRO for entry visa

Reactions: Ocean.vp

Mta0014

Oct 2, 2020
Hello All,
Quick question - Can anyone please let me know what do I need to write in the following for exit permit?
PLEASE UPLOAD 1) LATEST NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT FROM INDIAN GUARANTOR
2) REQUEST LETTER
Any help will be appreciated.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
When
Hello All,
Quick question - Can anyone please let me know what do I need to write in the following for exit permit?
PLEASE UPLOAD 1) LATEST NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT FROM INDIAN GUARANTOR
2) REQUEST LETTER
Any help will be appreciated.
When did you recieve this request I mean how many days after you applied as I have applied cor exit permit as well but they only asked for voter id surrender as of now.