+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are independent contractors considered for CEC?

vvbbe

Apr 18, 2016
Hi,

I have started working as an independent contractor (NOC 2147) in one of the companies. I was wondering:

1. Can I use this contract (this contract is for 1 year) after 1 year while applying for CEC?
2. If yes, Can I open a sole proprietorship showing this as a business to reduce my taxable income? Could anyone of you suggest me?
3. If it is not wise to show sole proprietorship/corporation for future CEC application, please let me know that too.

Do you have any kind of suggestion regarding this job that may helpful for me to get full CEC points?

I really appreciate and value your suggestion. Have a good day.

neevan

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
vvbbe said:
Hi,

I have started working as an independent contractor (NOC 2147) in one of the companies. I was wondering:

1. Can I use this contract (this contract is for 1 year) after 1 year while applying for CEC?- You can use but remeber as a temp worker
2. If yes, Can I open a sole proprietorship showing this as a business to reduce my taxable income? Could anyone of you suggest me?- Withour PR you cannot open, but you can join as a director in other incorporation.
3. If it is not wise to show sole proprietorship/corporation for future CEC application, please let me know that too. If you open your incorporation then its safe, after getting PR.

I ave gone through these stupid things and its a mess until u get your PR

Do you have any kind of suggestion regarding this job that may helpful for me to get full CEC points?

I really appreciate and value your suggestion. Have a good day.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vvbbe said:
Hi,

1. Can I use this contract (this contract is for 1 year) after 1 year while applying for CEC?

It is complicated.:)

Usually, "independent contractor" means self-employed, and self-employed experience is excluded from the CEC program. (Possibly you meant "contract employee," which is just term limited employment, and there's no problem with that).

HOWEVER - there are some industries where this is a mere contractual arrangement, but in reality you're in a regular "employer-employee" relationship. In this case, you can request a ruling from the CRA - If the CRA rules that you are in a de facto employer-employee relationship, you can use the experience for CEC.

Review this document and esp. the page "Requesting a Ruling." There is a time limit on requesting a ruling.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4110/rc4110-e.html

2. If yes, Can I open a sole proprietorship showing this as a business to reduce my taxable income? Could anyone of you suggest me?
3. If it is not wise to show sole proprietorship/corporation for future CEC application, please let me know that too.

If you do this, you WILL be considered self-employed, and the experience will not count for CEC.

joff

Sep 28, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am also in the same situation.
I'm from France, I just arrived in Canada 1 year ago. I am currently independent contractor since October 13, 2015 in sales door to door (100% commissions).
I try to get my PR but I'm really confused, I don't if I am eligible for CIC or other visas.

Someone has advice for me please ?

thanks