Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
purple_buscuit said:
FWIW I applied in 2011 as a Quebec Skilled Worker and got the PR in 2016.

With the new system in place you could get residency in 6 months only if you're selected; i.e. It's a points based lottery.
It is point based system (not exactly lottery) where certain amount (so far it was between 700 and 2000) applicants is invited to put down their file. this happens app. every 2 weeks (with rare exceptions when it was either 1 week or 3 weeks). there is certain amount of points where invitations are surety (like 500+) and then those that were never invited (anybody below 450) whatever is in between is unsurety. But unlike in a real lottery where you cannot improve your chances, here you can still check how to improve points.

JRandomGuy

Nov 14, 2016
It depends.

My wife and I discussed it. The mood here is downright ugly. Hate crimes, harassment, you name it.
In my current state of NC, the KKK will be holding a Trump rally to celebrate. I kid you not.

We have the means, the degrees, and the job experience (tech sector) to make the leap, if we choose to. It won't be cheap. Process aside, we already know that it'll be difficult: leaving friends and family, paying more taxes, paying more for shelter, settling for a reduced standard of living.

But if we think it would benefit our daughter to thrive in a country that reflects our values, we'll do it.

If the crap I mentioned above continues (or gets worse), then America will have failed us. If the day comes when we make That Decision, it will be one of the saddest of my life. But it'll be time to move on.

I'm not looking forward to that prospect at all, but I am really, really disgusted with my country right now.

immig_IT_guy

Jan 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
16-10-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
Not Sure
Med's Request
23-12-2014
Med's Done....
03-01-2015, FBI PCC submitted on 03-04-2015
Passport Req..
07-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-10-2015
LANDED..........
17-12-2015
JRandomGuy said:
It depends.

My wife and I discussed it. The mood here is downright ugly. Hate crimes, harassment, you name it.
In my current state of NC, the KKK will be holding a Trump rally to celebrate. I kid you not.

We have the means, the degrees, and the job experience (tech sector) to make the leap, if we choose to. It won't be cheap. Process aside, we already know that it'll be difficult: leaving friends and family, paying more taxes, paying more for shelter, settling for a reduced standard of living.

But if we think it would benefit our daughter to thrive in a country that reflects our values, we'll do it.

If the crap I mentioned above continues (or gets worse), then America will have failed us. If the day comes when we make That Decision, it will be one of the saddest of my life. But it'll be time to move on.

I'm not looking forward to that prospect at all, but I am really, really disgusted with my country right now.
First and foremost, Dont think about it too much... I understand your apprehensions, but I think its not going to be that bad
Secondly, If you are planning to move to Canada There is no decrease in quality of living... this is coming from an immigrant who stayed in US before(6 years)

JRandomGuy

Nov 14, 2016
Thanks.

Our first choice of destination would be Vancouver (closer to family in the west, better weather). But the housing prices out there are... um.. :eek:

We'll wait and see like many others. But it's been a bruising week.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Somehow I think, that Canada is a bit more than just Vancouver or Toronto. For Montreal good French level is needed.
From what I understood from web search so far prices are more expensive in Canada and salaries a bit lower.
Immigration process does take a while to complete.
So this is no 1 day decision.

JRandomGuy

Nov 14, 2016
Oh sure. Call me spoiled, but we'd want to move to a job market, not just a job. (Both my wife and I have been in the tech sector, in one form or another, for decades. We know that there's really no such thing as a "permanent" gig.) Larger markets are better for that.

We're not expecting Silicon Valley, but...

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JRandomGuy said:
Oh sure. Call me spoiled, but we'd want to move to a job market, not just a job. (Both my wife and I have been in the tech sector, in one form or another, for decades. We know that there's really no such thing as a "permanent" gig.) Larger markets are better for that.

There is rather large amount of people with 2 university degrees (Master like) and 10+ years of experiences trying to get through PR system right now.

Most of them want to land in:
1. Vancouver
2. Toronto
3. Montreal
4. Calgary / Edmonton

They are equipped with very good English, so the competition there will be fierce (and not just for jobs).

Would I hit a reasonable job, I would rather think of something smaller and quieter and to start small business instead. But than again everybody has a different choice.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Before you make any decision based on this impulse, you probably need to take a look at the job market first , which is much smaller and a lot more competitive than in the states, which is why it is usually Canadian people going south to look for job .... and if you can't land a job first, you pretty much won't be qualified to apply for PR

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
JRandomGuy said:

Unfortunately Canada doesn't really have that much of a "tech" job market , one can't even name a few Canadian "tech" brand: blackberry - struggling and almost dead, Nortel - dead ... and almost all the tech jobs are either in Toronto or Vancouver

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
DrGiGi said:
deadbird

HAVE YOU TAKEN THE ENGLISH EXAM YET? EVEN AMERICANS MUST TAKE EXAM.
Yes, I have a submitted Express Entry application with 496 points as displayed in my signature. I'd encourage you to look up the requirements. - http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
itsmyid said:
Unfortunately Canada doesn't really have that much of a "tech" job market , one can't even name a few Canadian "tech" brand: blackberry - struggling and almost dead, Nortel - dead ... and almost all the tech jobs are either in Toronto or Vancouver
If you're entrepreneurial then establishing a startup in Canada, hiring local cheaper talent, and doing business with US clients might be a good deal. Furthermore, it is easy to fly into the US and meet clients, etc.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
itsmyid said:
Or Kitchener-Waterloo...