+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses for 1million+

prseeker2017

Star Member
Jun 18, 2017
Simple answe is No. Not all immigrants can buy a house in GTA. And No, not all Canadians (even ones born here) can afford to buy a house in GTA.

Didn't you research on where you will immigrate to before you apply? The housing market has been hot for many years. May be the high interest rate will cool it down. It's hard to tell.
Of course research was done. Was the market this crazy in 2018 or 2019, it wasnt i was here back then. After lumber prices stabilized non-condo home prices have continued to grow at an alarming rate. Precon townhomes in Kitchner went up by 250k within a month. I also don't believe interest rates will cool down prices to rates during end of 2019 . There is buyer fatigue although but that doesn't mean sellers wont sell 80/100k above asking for <5yr resale property. As an informed buyer one always checks for affordability at 3% or 3.5% and not the current rates.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course research was done. Was the market this crazy in 2018 or 2019, it wasnt i was here back then. After lumber prices stabilized non-condo home prices have continued to grow at an alarming rate. Precon townhomes in Kitchner went up by 250k within a month. I also don't believe interest rates will cool down prices to rates during end of 2019 . There is buyer fatigue although but that doesn't mean sellers wont sell 80/100k above asking for <5yr resale property. As an informed buyer one always checks for affordability at 3% or 3.5% and not the current rates.
Why people don't consider moving elsewhere in Ontario such as Thunder Bay, when starter old detached houses asking prices are around the $160,000s?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are wrong. I moved from California and can tell. Only Bay area, San Diego and LA area along the coast line in expensive. You can easily buy a decent house for $500k-$600k in cities like Fresno, Sacramento etc. And Fresno is bigger than London Ontario in terms of population and have decent economy and amenities, like big hospitals and learning institutions for people to live. This housing crisis should have been fixed a long time ago in Canada. It’s just not fair for young Canadians and new immigrants to go through this. Level of immigration should have been kept along the level of construction.
Definitely can’t get much in Sacramento these days. Not sure I would move to Fresno, actually know someone who moved out of Fresno because the city and schools were not great and getting worse and they were very longterm residents. Yes there are a few areas that are slightly cheaper but there are reasons for the prices. Most inland, smaller cities, not great opportunities, higher crime, schools aren’t great, etc. 1M US also much higher than 1M Canadian.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Market was still pretty crazy in 2018/19. Surrounding areas around the GTA and places like Ottawa have really seen the huge incenses in the past 5 years. Unless you are only commuting one or maybe 2 days a week KW is very far to commute to the GTA. Canadian investors are one of the big reasons places around GTA have skyrocketed. Investors saw growth potential and can leverage their existing properties in the GTA to buy even more homes across Canada in cheaper markets. Crazy the chain of properties that some investors have accumulated using money leveraged from the previous purchase in a very short amount of time. The crazy increase in prices have allowed them to take big risks. If there was something big that happened in the economy and the government didn’t prop up the economy some would be in big trouble. Some are charging less than their overhead on their investment property. If a building inspector also cracked down on many illegal rooming/student houses many would also be in trouble. Banks and governments haven’t tightened various lending rules for investment properties and immigration isn’t going to stop so the demand still exists in the market.

Reactions: prseeker2017

Boynextdoor369

Star Member
May 8, 2017
Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses(townhomes or semi detached or detached) for CA$ 1million+. Do families who drop in GTA start earning CA$150k(husband) + CA$150k(wife). Unsure if single new comers are able to earn CA$200k to think about houses(not condos) for 1million+?????
Why only GTA? I made that mistake when I came as a new immigrant of following the herd to Mississauga. There are options other than GTA, Waterloo region is still very much affordable and within reach and especially now it looks like a buyer's market and if one can pass the stress test and ride out the high interest rates for a year or two, then you should find yourself in a pretty comfortable position imo.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why only GTA? I made that mistake when I came as a new immigrant of following the herd to Mississauga. There are options other than GTA, Waterloo region is still very much affordable and within reach and especially now it looks like a buyer's market and if one can pass the stress test and ride out the high interest rates for a year or two, then you should find yourself in a pretty comfortable position imo.
KW isn’t really a reasonable commute to the GTA and prices are still high. By the time you factor in costs of commuting and time commuting doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy in KW if working in the GTA and not remotely.

MarcX

Nov 19, 2020
why GTA? Shoot yourselves in the foot. Always go to tier 2 -3 cities, buy one close to work, and start your new life. unless you are super rich

Reactions: foodie69

rabbit12333

Oct 3, 2020
Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses(townhomes or semi detached or detached) for CA$ 1million+. Do families who drop in GTA start earning CA$150k(husband) + CA$150k(wife). Unsure if single new comers are able to earn CA$200k to think about houses(not condos) for 1million+?????

Do not fall into the trap!!

1) You work several years and have a saving account of 200k.
2) You borrow 800k from a bank.
3) You buy a house worthing 1 million.
4) house price decreases by 20%
5) You still owe your bank 800k, and your 200k saving is gone.

Mortgage = leverage = risk

Buy bitcoin in the following few months from now on and thank me later.

• Haha
Reactions: foodie69

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do not fall into the trap!!

1) You work several years and have a saving account of 200k.
2) You borrow 800k from a bank.
3) You buy a house worthing 1 million.
4) house price decreases by 20%
5) You still owe your bank 800k, and your 200k saving is gone.

Mortgage = leverage = risk

Buy bitcoin in the following few months from now on and thank me later.
Why would the poster still owe 800k? Mortgage payment is weekly or monthly. So the poster will probably owe less than that amount. Moreover, whether or not the savings gone, depends on the final selling price of the property. If he sells it now, he lose his 200k savings + closing fee. If he sell it in the future (when market becomes hot again), he might gain.

Btw, bitcoin is not risky?

Reactions: prseeker2017

rabbit12333

Oct 3, 2020
Why would the poster still owe 800k? Mortgage payment is weekly or monthly. So the poster will probably owe less than that amount. Moreover, whether or not the savings gone, depends on the final selling price of the property. If he sells it now, he lose his 200k savings + closing fee. If he sell it in the future (when market becomes hot again), he might gain.

Btw, bitcoin is not risky?
Please focus on the big picture, or you will be an average Joe forever.