+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses for 1million+

Samp1975

Oct 10, 2017
Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses(townhomes or semi detached or detached) for CA$ 1million+. Do families who drop in GTA start earning CA$150k(husband) + CA$150k(wife). Unsure if single new comers are able to earn CA$200k to think about houses(not condos) for 1million+?????
No.

However, if you have savings to do a downpayment, investments, good credit score, both spouses employed at least 2-3+ years in steady jobs in the local market and well documented past history of work outside Canada - it makes and facilitates things much better and smoother.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah correct not all can have wfh. But for jobs where wfh made sense in pre-covid era employers/managers wanted to see employees working in front of them, they now have gotten trained. Remote work option(where applicable) just like in US is here to stay! You have a fair point 1-2 beds with both wfh wouldnt be sufficient. Plus GTA has many job options so gotta stick around, Other cities(excluding vancouver) dont have as many options and we would be risking our jobs if we move. Saving by WFH, unsure how long it will last. Kinda sticky situation!!
Agree that the ongoing level of WFH isn’t clear and even if you have to go into the office semi-frequently commuting distance will still be an issue. Really depends on your longterm plans. The Canadian housing market makes zero sense and has become unaffordable for most. The time for action to keep housing from huge increases was in the early 2000s but instead governments increased loan terms, made borrowing easier and allowed housing as a proportion of GDP to get to levels where it will hurt a lot to pull back. Most countries hoped that insurance rates would increase and price increases would decrease to reasonable levels. At this point Intergenerational wealth has allowed many under 40 to get into housing and pay for things like daycare in cities like Toronto and Vancouver. Baby boomers and those who got into the housing market earlier have made millions doing nothing. politicians know something needs to be done but nothing will bring back prices to where they really should be based on median incomes and the 40+ year olds, who tend to be the large percentage of home owners, also vote so they don’t want to do anything to lose those voters. Such a mess.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree that the ongoing level of WFH isn’t clear and even if you have to go into the office semi-frequently commuting distance will still be an issue. Really depends on your longterm plans. The Canadian housing market makes zero sense and has become unaffordable for most. The time for action to keep housing from huge increases was in the early 2000s but instead governments increased loan terms, made borrowing easier and allowed housing as a proportion of GDP to get to levels where it will hurt a lot to pull back. Most countries hoped that insurance rates would increase and price increases would decrease to reasonable levels. At this point Intergenerational wealth has allowed many under 40 to get into housing and pay for things like daycare in cities like Toronto and Vancouver. Baby boomers and those who got into the housing market earlier have made millions doing nothing. politicians know something needs to be done but nothing will bring back prices to where they really should be based on median incomes and the 40+ year olds, who tend to be the large percentage of home owners, also vote so they don’t want to do anything to lose those voters. Such a mess.
Disagree that baby boomers - home owners doing nothing. Keeping/Owning a house costs money or involve doing work such as mowing, snow and weeds removal. Fail to do so, the municipal government will ask for fines and make sure they maintain.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Disagree that baby boomers - home owners doing nothing. Keeping/Owning a house costs money or involve doing work such as mowing, snow and weeds removal. Fail to do so, the municipal government will ask for fines and make sure they maintain.
Living in a home and accruing a million dollars in equity is doing nothing. You can be renting a home and mow the lawn, shovel snow, etc. Yes may have had to do some regular maintenance but many have not. You have done no extra work except being at the right place at the right time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Living in a home and accruing a million dollars in equity is doing nothing. You can be renting a home and mow the lawn, shovel snow, etc. Yes may have had to do some regular maintenance but many have not. You have done no extra work except being at the right place at the right time.
Seen many neighbors upgrade their home such as painting, building additional garage / rowhomes. Surely, they were doing so to accrural more in their house value.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
if I have 1mm i would buy a house in california...:)))

Reactions: tfox72

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Yeah, maybe somewhere in Gangland
maybe not there then, but another place :) I just find it ridiculouse to pay this much for such a bad small housing

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maybe not there then, but another place :) I just find it ridiculouse to pay this much for such a bad small housing
Can you buy a house in manhattan with those funds? I doubt it and probably parking stall not included.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Can you buy a house in manhattan with those funds? I doubt it and probably parking stall not included.
i guess it depends on what people are willing to pay for something specific...
I am not interested in living in manhattan, nor in usa... I chose Canada because of the possibilities one could have to live a comfortable life
don't be this serious, and anyhow everybody is free to make the right decision for their life

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not interested in living in manhattan, nor in usa... I chose Canada because of the possibilities one could have to live a comfortable life
don't be this serious, and anyhow everybody is free to make the right decision for their life
But you mentioned you rather buy house in California and that's in usa.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Are all immigrants nearly 3years in GTA able to buy houses(townhomes or semi detached or detached) for CA$ 1million+. Do families who drop in GTA start earning CA$150k(husband) + CA$150k(wife). Unsure if single new comers are able to earn CA$200k to think about houses(not condos) for 1million+?????
Simple answe is No. Not all immigrants can buy a house in GTA. And No, not all Canadians (even ones born here) can afford to buy a house in GTA.

Didn't you research on where you will immigrate to before you apply? The housing market has been hot for many years. May be the high interest rate will cool it down. It's hard to tell.

Reactions: canuck78 and tfox72

roy1947

Star Member
Oct 8, 2015
Very few…may be only 47%

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In most of California you aren’t getting much for 1M USD.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
In most of California you aren’t getting much for 1M USD.
You are wrong. I moved from California and can tell. Only Bay area, San Diego and LA area along the coast line in expensive. You can easily buy a decent house for $500k-$600k in cities like Fresno, Sacramento etc. And Fresno is bigger than London Ontario in terms of population and have decent economy and amenities, like big hospitals and learning institutions for people to live. This housing crisis should have been fixed a long time ago in Canada. It’s just not fair for young Canadians and new immigrants to go through this. Level of immigration should have been kept along the level of construction.