+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved student visa, but change intake and program

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Hello!

I got an approved student visa. In that application my LOA is for a 2 year diploma in Education, for Sept 2022.

I want to change program to a 2 year diploma in Business, same DLI, for May 2022 intake. I can easily get new LOA for this.

Is this possible? Safe? Will this affect PR in the future?

I appreciate any thoughts, links, experiences?

Thank you

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello!

I got an approved student visa. In that application my LOA is for a 2 year diploma in Education, for Sept 2022.

I want to change program to a 2 year diploma in Business, same DLI, for May 2022 intake. I can easily get new LOA for this.

Is this possible? Safe? Will this affect PR in the future?

I appreciate any thoughts, links, experiences?

Thank you
If it's same DLI, you should be fine.

Reactions: trivvoxx

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
If it's same DLI, you should be fine.
Thanks for the response.

May I ask the source for this? As other info I have gathered are contradicting...

Some are saying you cannot change to earlier intake without visa re-stamping.

Also, for changing program, it is more adviseable to do it when already landed in Canada because if you do it while outside Canada, you need to send a whole new application.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thanks for the response.

May I ask the source for this? As other info I have gathered are contradicting...

Some are saying you cannot change to earlier intake without visa re-stamping.

Also, for changing program, it is more adviseable to do it when already landed in Canada because if you do it while outside Canada, you need to send a whole new application.
This has been discussed extensively here in the past here (search the forum). IRCC has also answered this question repeatedly no Twitter so you can check their handle. As per IRCC's own policy, as long as you are changing program IN the same DLI, you do not need to re-apply.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
This has been discussed extensively here in the past here (search the forum). IRCC has also answered this question repeatedly no Twitter so you can check their handle. As per IRCC's own policy, as long as you are changing program IN the same DLI, you do not need to re-apply.

Ok thanks.

I did try to search everywhere about the change to Earlier Intake, same DLI, and I cannot find any information about it. Please help!

also what will be the process for me in the airport?

1. New LOA for May 2022, different program? Should I bring my original LOA of Sept 2022 as well?
2. Should I inform IRCC via webform for all these changes?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Ok thanks.

I did try to search everywhere about the change to Earlier Intake, same DLI, and I cannot find any information about it. Please help!

also what will be the process for me in the airport?

1. New LOA for May 2022, different program? Should I bring my original LOA of Sept 2022 as well?
2. Should I inform IRCC via webform for all these changes?
You will need to present your new LOA cos it has the earlier start date. As long as your SP and Visa has a validity starting from whenever your application was approved, you should be able to travel and start with the earlier intake.

Make sure you have the proof of registration and enrollment (as well as tuition fees proof) to show that you are indeed starting classes in May, and not just trying to enter Canada earlier than scheduled.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Got it thank you.

So in short,

1. Bring my new LOA (with info on registration, enrollment, and confirmation of 1 year tuition paid)

that's it?

Should i inform IRCC via webform about this or no need?

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
No need. Don't complicate things for yourself. IRCC has no issues with changing programs or intake term, as long as it's the same DLI.

I just discussed my situation to my consultant and she advised against doing any changes. She said unless explicitly written in IRCC site or even from their official Twitter that it is okay to change programs, same DLI, then i should not do any changes.

I did some due diligence and this is all the recent info I can find in relation to my case.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/study-permit-challenges-for-nigerian-applicants.610910/page-255#post-9819101

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/changing-dli-before-or-after-arrival-urgent.738761/#post-9555846

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Please help me with any direct IRCC links and official tweets? THANK YOU

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I just discussed my situation to my consultant and she advised against doing any changes. She said unless explicitly written in IRCC site or even from their official Twitter that it is okay to change programs, same DLI, then i should not do any changes.

I did some due diligence and this is all the recent info I can find in relation to my case.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/study-permit-challenges-for-nigerian-applicants.610910/page-255#post-9819101

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/changing-dli-before-or-after-arrival-urgent.738761/#post-9555846

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Please help me with any direct IRCC links and official tweets? THANK YOU
Sorry I don't have any links. You can tweet or DM IRCC yourself, or send a webform. They will get back to you.

trivvoxx

Star Member
Feb 25, 2017
Sorry I don't have any links. You can tweet or DM IRCC yourself, or send a webform. They will get back to you.
If I proceed,
Will there be any repercussions in my future possible SP extension, PGWP 3yrs, PR, and Citizenship applications?

Olay

Jun 8, 2014
If I proceed,
Will there be any repercussions in my future possible SP extension, PGWP 3yrs, PR, and Citizenship applications?
Can you please provide update with your course change? It's been over a year now. I'm in similar situation. But in my case it was the school that chnage my course and suggested a new course to me.

sukh909

Jan 10, 2024
Can you please provide update with your course change? It's been over a year now. I'm in similar situation. But in my case it was the school that chnage my course and suggested a new course to me.
Bro did you faced any problem at the port of entry please explain as I'm in the same situation..