+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to WP while PR is being processed?

acechaos

Mar 23, 2021
hello,
my apologies if this question has been answered. i could not find in the forums. i'd be very thankful if anyone who knows this issue can kindly help.
this is my situation:
1. residing outside Canada
2. have an approved LMIA
3. pr application is currently under process (express entry, federal skilled worker category, outland)

Can I now submit a work permit application? I am considering this as the PR process may drag on for a tad too long.

If I am allowed to submit a WP application, can it in anyway hurt my PR application that is being processed? Many thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello,
my apologies if this question has been answered. i could not find in the forums. i'd be very thankful if anyone who knows this issue can kindly help.
this is my situation:
1. residing outside Canada
2. have an approved LMIA
3. pr application is currently under process (express entry, federal skilled worker category, outland)

Can I now submit a work permit application? I am considering this as the PR process may drag on for a tad too long.

If I am allowed to submit a WP application, can it in anyway hurt my PR application that is being processed? Many thanks.
Yes - you can submit a work permit application.

The only way this could possibly hurt your PR application is if you commit a major misrepresentation in your work permit application that results in a refusal of the work permit and 5 year ban.

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
Yes - you can submit a work permit application.

The only way this could possibly hurt your PR application is if you commit a major misrepresentation in your work permit application that results in a refusal of the work permit and 5 year ban.
Hi,
Pls do you think I can submit an EE application while I have a WP application ongoing?
I am worried that entering the EE pool shows that I have an intention to migrate permanently.
Meanwhile a major criteria for WP approval is assurance that you will leave once the permit expires.
Should I just wait till my WP is approved?

acechaos

Mar 23, 2021
Hi,
Pls do you think I can submit an EE application while I have a WP application ongoing?
I am worried that entering the EE pool shows that I have an intention to migrate permanently.
Meanwhile a major criteria for WP approval is assurance that you will leave once the permit expires.
Should I just wait till my WP is approved?

This is the reply i got from @legalfalcon in the EE thread, which is very helpful, and hopefully, it clarifies your question.

If you have a valid LMIA you can apply for a WP. See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

Each application, i..e PR and WP will be processed on its own merits.

The possibility that an applicant for temporary residence may, at some point in the future, be approved for permanent residence does not absolve the individual from meeting the requirements of a temporary resident, specifically the requirement to leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay, in accordance with section 179 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Reactions: legalfalcon

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
This is the reply i got from @legalfalcon in the EE thread, which is very helpful, and hopefully, it clarifies your question.

If you have a valid LMIA you can apply for a WP. See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

Each application, i..e PR and WP will be processed on its own merits.

The possibility that an applicant for temporary residence may, at some point in the future, be approved for permanent residence does not absolve the individual from meeting the requirements of a temporary resident, specifically the requirement to leave Canada at the end of the period authorized for their stay, in accordance with section 179 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html
Thank you.
This information is helpful

mamadebbie

Dec 5, 2018
Does anyone know why my application to open a PEI Expression of Interest profile for worker outside canada asks for a work permit.
I have a job offer but no work permit yet.
But I need to open a profile so as to be considered for ITA

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Does anyone know why my application to open a PEI Expression of Interest profile for worker outside canada asks for a work permit.
I have a job offer but no work permit yet.
But I need to open a profile so as to be considered for ITA
What PEI stream? Even with a job offer, the province needs to authorize your offer. Has the province approved this? Is your employer on the designated employer list? The list for PEI is on their website.

mamadebbie

Dec 5, 2018
That is Prince Edward Island skilled worker from outside Canada. The Province is the employer, it is a Government job. But I have been asked to open a profile and express interest,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
That is Prince Edward Island skilled worker from outside Canada. The Province is the employer, it is a Government job. But I have been asked to open a profile and express interest,
So ask PEI Health (assume this is the employer) to talk to the PEI Immigration department about providing you with authorization letter so you can submit your EOI.

param1988

Nov 25, 2019
Hi All,

My wife has a Visitor Visa (valid till 2023) and we applied for a Open WP for her last month. Does she need a separate TRV application submitted or she can travel with her current Visitor visa to Canada, once the open WP get approved?

Thanks in advance
Param

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

My wife has a Visitor Visa (valid till 2023) and we applied for a Open WP for her last month. Does she need a separate TRV application submitted or she can travel with her current Visitor visa to Canada, once the open WP get approved?

Thanks in advance
Param
Are you travelling together? What is your status?

param1988

Nov 25, 2019
No @Naturgrl , I am in Canada with Open work permit while my wife is in India. She would travel alone.

We applied my BWOP (while waiting for PR processing) and included her in the same application and waiting for her WP approval.

Also, I applied for TRV (only for me), assuming her valid Visitor Visa would suffice, but a little doubtful about it.

Thanks
Param

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No @Naturgrl , I am in Canada with Open work permit while my wife is in India. She would travel alone.

We applied my BWOP (while waiting for PR processing) and included her in the same application and waiting for her WP approval.

Also, I applied for TRV (only for me), assuming her valid Visitor Visa would suffice, but a little doubtful about it.

Thanks
Param
She has a TRV but needs written authorization to travel to show her visit is essential.