+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to DV Lottery as a protected person in Canada

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
I looked for the eligibility requirements. The country of residence doesn't matter. But I'm worried about my status in Canada. would it affect me? I've already tweeted about it to @CitImmCanada but also wanted to take you guys advice.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I looked for the eligibility requirements. The country of residence doesn't matter. But I'm worried about my status in Canada. would it affect me? I've already tweeted about it to @CitImmCanada but also wanted to take you guys advice.
Oy Vey !!
You put in a application to claim asylum in one country, and now you’re looking for guidance in how to apply for a program to live in another ? The proverbial envelope is being pushed here
Why don’t you reach out to the Program Administrators in the US? That being the INS
IRCC would have nothing to do with the DV program , nor probably know the rules for applying
Oy vey indeed

Last edited:

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
I'm not actually interested in immigrating to the U.S. right now. My kids have been telling me to do so. But as far as I understand it is impossible without losing refugee status. In Canadian IRPA laws it says if there is a possibility of gaining a citizenship, but the applicant is not taking any action for it, this will lead to losing status in Canada. Which translates to if you have gained permanent residency in the U.S. then you have choice to stay and become a citizen which (as far as I understand) will make you lose your status in Canada.

TL;DR: No you will lose your status. But don't take my word for it. I'm not a lawyer or something. I'll update if they respond me.

Armen0

Apr 3, 2020
This is the answer they gave me "Hi. Applying for immigration to the United States shouldn't impact your status in Canada. Note: The information we provide is general guidance. No decisions are made based on our social media responses. Thanks!" So as they say it's general guidance not a thoughtful answer based on case. I suggest anyone looking at this thread should consult IRCC directly.