+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to a study permit with a valid multiple entry visitors visa

Eidos

Aug 1, 2016
Hello Everyone,
I hope that somebody be able to advise on my case. Myself, my spouse and my 2 kids have multiple entry visitors Visa. I have applied to a university in Canada for a Master's degree and got accepted. I am currently applying from outside Canada. I will be applying for a study permit and my spouse will apply for an open work permit. My questions are:
1. Do I need to apply for new Visas for my 2 kids to enter canada, or their visitors Visas are sufficient? They will obviously stay in Canada longer than 6 months.
2. My 8 years old daughter will be attending school in Canada. Does she need to apply for a study permit? If yes, the application for the study permit requires an acceptance letter. I don't have that because I will apply for her school once we land in Canada.
3. My 2 year will be going to daycare. I assume no study permit will be required.

Simmidas

Mar 19, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I hope that somebody be able to advise on my case. Myself, my spouse and my 2 kids have multiple entry visitors Visa. I have applied to a university in Canada for a Master's degree and got accepted. I am currently applying from outside Canada. I will be applying for a study permit and my spouse will apply for an open work permit. My questions are:
1. Do I need to apply for new Visas for my 2 kids to enter canada, or their visitors Visas are sufficient? They will obviously stay in Canada longer than 6 months.
2. My 8 years old daughter will be attending school in Canada. Does she need to apply for a study permit? If yes, the application for the study permit requires an acceptance letter. I don't have that because I will apply for her school once we land in Canada.
3. My 2 year will be going to daycare. I assume no study permit will be required.
Could you please share which university acceptance you have got.
My suggestion would be apply for your student Visa 1st and once it gets approved then apply for Spouse Open work permit. If you all apply together VO can reject your file basis no ties to home country

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Get a study permit for both kids, you dont need to include an acceptable letter you explain in a letter that they will be accompanying you on your study permit.

fade411

Mar 21, 2024
MY wife is a student in canada and i would like my kids to join her. Can I apply for a vistors visa as the primary applicant and add my kids on student visas? The are below 15 years of age

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
MY wife is a student in canada and i would like my kids to join her. Can I apply for a vistors visa as the primary applicant and add my kids on student visas? The are below 15 years of age
When does her studies finish? Masters/PhD? Can you show the POF for at least 3 people? How old are children? If so, try. They will apply through spouse’s account. For your TRV, you need to show funds, ties to return, and travel history. Given spouse is in Canada, chances of refusal are high because IRCC will wonder if you intend to remain in Canada. Given new rules, IRCC may not approve study permits for kids until spouse is on PGWP.

Last edited: