+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying student visa after a gap of 12 years.

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Hi there,
I am currently in Canada on visitors visa and have got the acceptance letter from Sheridan College for 2 years diploma in HRM.
Despite of getting an acceptance letter, having strong ties back home and a strong financial statement, I fear that a 12 years gap of education could have a negative effect on my application. however I have worked as a volunteer in my father's company in Dubai.
P.S I will be applying as a single mother of a 9 years old daughter and my father will be paying all our expenses.

anybody could suggest me how to make my case strong? or anyone with the similar experience ? please reply as i need to apply at the soonest.

Last edited:

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
People have got visa with 17 years study gap. A strong LOE with proper documentation is all you need.

However, it may be tricky in your case to show that you have volunteered in family company for 12 yrs. If you were doing a job there, it could be easier.

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Thank you for your reply.

I have actually worked as a teacher in not very well known school in Pakistan in 2010 for a few months but due to some circumstances I went back to Dubai and worked in a couple of companies as a property consultant for a short period of time and also as a volunteer in father's company. I could get the experience letter from a father's company however it may be difficult for me to get them from the school and those other companies I have worked in since I am not currently employed there. do u think I should mention about those other companies knowing that I dont have any evidence of experience but I do have a certificate of appreciation of best performer of 2015 in one of the companies, dont know if that would work in my case ?

Last edited:

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
It is to the best of your interest that you provide documentation to every single claim you make in your application. If you can pull some strings and make yourself look like an employer in your father's company, that would work as well.

I am suggesting 2 simple things- show you were engaged in career (or family matters) in last 12 yrs and bring all rock solid proofs to your claim.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long have you been in Canada as a visitor? Your case will be stronger if you return home and apply from there. More difficult to prove ties if you're already here...

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
I came on 8th May because I wanted to personally survey colleges and check which one would be convenient for me according to my location and also I wanted to check schools for my daughter and the distance from her school to my college. Plus I was required to give English assessment test from Sheridan college which I have already passed. I don't mind going back and apply from UAE But I was thinking to consult with a lawyer here and apply online and then leave because I'll anyway have to exit if I get an approval right ? U think it's a good idea or I should just exit and then apply from my country of residence ?

Last edited:

Faroosan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
It is to the best of your interest that you provide documentation to every single claim you make in your application. If you can pull some strings and make yourself look like an employer in your father's company, that would work as well.

I am suggesting 2 simple things- show you were engaged in career (or family matters) in last 12 yrs and bring all rock solid proofs to your claim.
Right I think I could do that. Also Would my case be balanced if I show stronger financial statement like I have a joint account with my dad in Canada which was opened in January when we visited last time to buy a property here? Is it a plus point to show the bank account and the property here being on visitors visa or would it be taken negatively ?

Last edited:

saipawan

Aug 20, 2017
i have 12 years of experience and working in IT. i want to go for student visa fpr 2018 intakes. can i go ahead? i did my mba i marketing and systems, before that a diploma in info systems, bacheros in commers, 12th and school. plz help me

mbwany

Aug 4, 2018
Hi there,
I am currently in Canada on visitors visa and have got the acceptance letter from Sheridan College for 2 years diploma in HRM.
Despite of getting an acceptance letter, having strong ties back home and a strong financial statement, I fear that a 12 years gap of education could have a negative effect on my application. however I have worked as a volunteer in my father's company in Dubai.
P.S I will be applying as a single mother of a 9 years old daughter and my father will be paying all our expenses.

anybody could suggest me how to make my case strong? or anyone with the similar experience ? please reply as i need to apply at the soonest.
Hello Faroosan, were you able to apply and get a study permit?

SimG

Jul 25, 2018
Hi ,
I too was thinking of applying for a study permit and was concerned as there is a gap of 12 years...I have held a permanent job throughout this period.
Does anyone have any inputs regarding this ?

SimG

Jul 25, 2018
Hi ,
I too was thinking of applying for a study permit and was concerned as there is a gap of 12 years...I have held a permanent job throughout this period.
Does anyone have any inputs regarding this ?