+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying PR & Visit Visa together for my Dependent Child - Queries

Immortal30

Feb 27, 2021
Hi All

This is my first post on the forum. Requesting your help and support on the below query:)

I have just landed in Canada (Feb 23). So my 1 year old daughter and my wife are in Dubai. My wife & I have PR. I am planning to apply for daughter's PR from here. Also am planning to get a visitor visa for her after the PR application as they (wife & daughter) are planning to move here in Mid May 2021.

1) Is it okay to apply for both the visas together? Is there any chance of visitor visa rejection?
2) How much time is it taking these days for the visitor visa to process?
3) Do I have to include my wife as a co-signer in the application (she is not in Canada currently)? (The requirement of co-signer eligibility is that he/she has to reside in Canada)
4) Do I need to fill out form IMM 5604 (Declaration form non accompanying parent for minors immigrating to Canada)? B'coz my wife is already a PR and she ofcourse has no objection to daughter's PR being applied and she will be travelling with our daughter.

Any help or personal experience would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All

This is my first post on the forum. Requesting your help and support on the below query:)

I have just landed in Canada (Feb 23). So my 1 year old daughter and my wife are in Dubai. My wife & I have PR. I am planning to apply for daughter's PR from here. Also am planning to get a visitor visa for her after the PR application as they (wife & daughter) are planning to move here in Mid May 2021.

1) Is it okay to apply for both the visas together? Is there any chance of visitor visa rejection?
3) Do I have to include my wife as a co-signer in the application (she is not in Canada currently)? (The requirement of co-signer eligibility is that he/she has to reside in Canada)
4) Do I need to fill out form IMM 5604 (Declaration form non accompanying parent for minors immigrating to Canada)? B'coz my wife is already a PR and she ofcourse has no objection to daughter's PR being applied and she will be travelling with our daughter.

When did you initially land in Canada as a PR and how many days have you spent in Canada?

Immortal30

Feb 27, 2021
When did you initially land in Canada as a PR and how many days have you spent in Canada?
I landed permanently on 23 feb 2021. I had soft landed in Aug 2019 , but that time I was there only for 12 days, collected my PR cards and went back.

skaushik88

Sep 8, 2017
Hi All

My case is exactly similar to yours. Me & my wife became PR in July 2018, did soft landing for 15 days, went back to India due to family commitments and also our daughter was born in India in Mar 2019. I have landed in Canada in Nov 2020 and applied for my daughter's sponsorship in Jan 2021 and just got acknowledgment of my application from IRCC 2 days back. Also, I have applied for TRV in Feb starting as sponsorship process takes its own time. I know the chances of rejection for a TRV is very high in this case as the principal applicant is intended immigrant and would not just be a visitor but I have taken my chance for applying both.

Also, I have got IMM5604 filled and signed by my wife just formality sake so that I don't leave any document but she will be obviously travel along with my daughter once she gets her visa.

Do not include your wife as a co-signer as she is not in Canada. Processing time for both TRV & Sponsorship application takes at least 6 months currently.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My case is exactly similar to yours. Me & my wife became PR in July 2018, did soft landing for 15 days, went back to India due to family commitments and also our daughter was born in India in Mar 2019. I have landed in Canada in Nov 2020 and applied for my daughter's sponsorship in Jan 2021 and just got acknowledgment of my application from IRCC 2 days back. Also, I have applied for TRV in Feb starting as sponsorship process takes its own time. I know the chances of rejection for a TRV is very high in this case as the principal applicant is intended immigrant and would not just be a visitor but I have taken my chance for applying both.

Also, I have got IMM5604 filled and signed by my wife just formality sake so that I don't leave any document but she will be obviously travel along with my daughter once she gets her visa.

Do not include your wife as a co-signer as she is not in Canada. Processing time for both TRV & Sponsorship application takes at least 6 months currently.
Sponsorship can take 5-11 months normally but with covid it can take longer. We have seen others on the forum take around a year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I landed permanently on 23 feb 2021. I had soft landed in Aug 2019 , but that time I was there only for 12 days, collected my PR cards and went back.
You are compliant with your RO so you can sponsor your child but you must remain in Canada during the process. Would try to submit the sponsorship application as soon as possible because there have been delays so it is taking longer than the normal 5-11 months. Timelines may be coming back to normal. TRV isn't guaranteed but won't hurt the sponsorship application. As has already been said your wife isn't a co--signer if she is abroad.

Immortal30

Feb 27, 2021
You are compliant with your RO so you can sponsor your child but you must remain in Canada during the process. Would try to submit the sponsorship application as soon as possible because there have been delays so it is taking longer than the normal 5-11 months. Timelines may be coming back to normal. TRV isn't guaranteed but won't hurt the sponsorship application. As has already been said your wife isn't a co--signer if she is abroad.
SO my question is can I apply both, the TRV and the PR simultaneously? If not which one should I apply before?

Immortal30

Feb 27, 2021

Thanks man for the response. Noted. Similar case. I am just curious as to why did you not apply the TRV before the PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
SO my question is can I apply both, the TRV and the PR simultaneously? If not which one should I apply before?
You can apply for them in any order or simultaneously. I believe you can apply for TRV for the child before you return to Canada - not certain though

Immortal30

Feb 27, 2021
You can apply for them in any order or simultaneously. I believe you can apply for TRV for the child before you return to Canada - not certain though
Actually I am already in Canada and wife and daughter are in Dubai. So is it fine if i apply them simultaneously without risking rejection of TRV, thanks

Reactions: armoured