N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Rob_TO said:
There is a higher chance of refusal because based on collected stats and data over many years, people from Philippines have a higher rate of overstaying their visa, vs someone from say Australia or the UK. There is a reason Canada separates all countries in the world into visa-required and visa-exempt categories... and why they move countries in and out of these lists yearly. Its all based on stats and how people on visas here actually act. Its all risk assessment.

And as was just mentioned... letting in people from visa-exempt countries is NOT at the expense of anyone else. Each country is analyzed for risk independently... so because Canada has allowed in say 10 people from visa-exempt countries, doesn't mean they must now reject 10 from somewhere else.
Visa exempt countries are actually at a higher risk to work illegally. Americans, Aussies and Brits would blend in especially easily. I overstayed my visitor visa in Australia by 4 years and even had a workfile number.

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for seeing where I'm coming from.... In the end, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, and really want everyone who are missing their families to be together.

The system is just so GRRRRRR

cheers!

Luckyman

Sep 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadianJeepGuy said:
Visa exempt countries are actually at a higher risk to work illegally. Americans, Aussies and Brits would blend in especially easily. I overstayed my visitor visa in Australia by 4 years and even had a workfile number.
But this is spousal sponsorship.... Which is a different boat in my opinion. With your example, I agree... But I think it boils down to quantity risk rather than over stay risk.

Example.... Majority of filipino's would love to come here and work, and are, in fact trying. But the country can't let all the numbers in.... Even though they would, for the most part, completely abide by every rule.

But myself should be able to sponsor my wife for a visit visit to stay during the process as so many do, but relying on my credibility to not screw anything up... If that makes sense

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Luckyman said:
But this is spousal sponsorship.... Which is a different boat in my opinion. With your example, I agree... But I think it boils down to quantity risk rather than over stay risk.

Example.... Majority of filipino's would love to come here and work, and are, in fact trying. But the country can't let all the numbers in.... Even though they would, for the most part, completely abide by every rule.

But myself should be able to sponsor my wife for a visit visit to stay during the process as so many do, but relying on my credibility to not screw anything up... If that makes sense
That makes sense to me. After all, you've signed a contract promising full support for your partner when PR is granted. Why can't you do the same for their "visit" as a citizen of good and law abiding esteem. It's a shame..

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
DGT said:
That makes sense to me. After all, you've signed a contract promising full support for your partner when PR is granted. Why can't you do the same for their "visit" as a citizen of good and law abiding esteem. It's a shame..
Actually, with my visitor extension we included a letter from my wife explaining that she is taking full responsibility for me including financially.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Luckyman said:
And THAT as demonstrated by the immigration system is dishonest, racial and cultural bias, and goes against the majority of what Canada stands for!
Umm we are talking about Canada's rules regarding residents from countries around the world trying to enter Canada. This has nothing to do with race and culture, it has to do with residency. A Filipino whos race and culture come from the Philippines, but who happens to be a citizen of the USA or UK or something, will have no problems entering Canada. Canada will not deny them based on their race and culture. To pretend this has anything to do with racism is just ridiculous.

I'd also love to see these stats
There are tons of reasons that Canada uses to determine if residents of a particular country require a visa to visit here. See here for some changes Canada has made to visa rules for some certain countries, and the reasons for doing so:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-09-11.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2009/2009-07-13.asp

Unfortunately for the Philippines, there are enough reasons in place that Canada can't make them a visa-exempt country.

If you don't like Canada's visa laws that is fine and you're entitled to your opinion and can call the CIC and Canadian govt any names you want. But don't call the individual sponsors or applicants here dishonest or whatever, simply for doing and following what the visa and immigration laws allow them to do.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Luckyman said:

The point I was trying to make was that if your spouse was a from a visa exempt country it would be easier for them to break the rules than someone from a visa non exempt country. Think of it as similiar to hiding in plain sight.

Canuckluvus

Star Member
Jan 26, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-03-2013
AOR Received.
20-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2013
LANDED..........
14-12-2013
My wife is a US citizen. We married here in Canada in January and she has been visiting since October. We have applied for sponsorship and PR via Outland. We applied for her visitor status to be extended another 6 months almost a month ago. I was notified by email on March 18th that my application to sponsor her was received by CIC. According to wait times, it will be probably April 18th before they start processing it. We still have heard nothing about the application for stay extension. I am concerned we won't hear before her 6 months run out. What exactly is flag poling? I live near the US border could we just drive over and do some shopping in Washington and return. Would her 6 months start over again? Does she have to return to Us for a certain period of time before visiting again? Any suggestions on what we should do about the application for visitor extension?

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Rattles said:
Actually, with my visitor extension we included a letter from my wife explaining that she is taking full responsibility for me including financially.
Good for you! :)

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Canada does not forbid visa-exempt citizens from entering just because they are PR applicants. People must apply to a PR office designated for their current country. Not everyone puts their life on hold to wait out a lengthy PR process. There are numerous reasons why people may wait in Canada: new job, had plans to move before PR, child has reached school age, etc. It is in no way dishonest as long as it is done according to Canada law.

Waiting is waiting..... in Canada or elsewhere. Now lets move on to what is needed to visit Canada while waiting for PR.

For Visa Exempt:

1) 6 month visitor visa
2) return air ticket
3) proof of PR application

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
The point I was trying to make was that if your spouse was a from a visa exempt country it would be easier for them to break the rules than someone from a visa non exempt country. Think of it as similiar to hiding in plain sight.
Yes it is probably easier, but there really isn't a big reason for doing it in the first place. In other western/wealthy countries like the US, Australia, UK etc... the minimum wage is probably comparable to here. So an illegal worker here can probably have the same lifestyle as if they worked a similar job in their own country.

Compare that to a country like Thailand or China or something, where even a minimum wage job here is considerably better in pay than a similar job over there. So there is more risk for a visitor from those countries in Canada, to want to stay here and work.

Hard to find stats for Canada, but i imagine it would be similar to the USA. Here is a report on unauthorized immigrants currently residing in the USA: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_ill_pe_2010.pdf

After the neighboring countries at the top of the list like Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala... the top overseas country of residence for illegals in the USA is from Philippines. So for anyone questioning WHY a country like the Philippines has more strict rules for visiting Canada as opposed to other visa-exempt countries, well as i said it's due to historical stats and trends, as well as political and other reasons. Canada does not just make up random rules on a whim for deciding what counties to be more strict on. There are specific reasons behind it, and the rules are constantly changing.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
Korea2Canada said:
Waiting is waiting..... in Canada or elsewhere. Now lets move on to what is needed to visit Canada while waiting for PR.

For Visa Exempt:

1) 6 month visitor visa
2) return air ticket
3) proof of PR application
Maybe someone else who has already done this can confirm, but it seems to me all your wife will need in terms of paper will be her passport and return ticket. She'll advise the immigration official that she is visiting Canada with her Canadian husband and has a PR application pending. Unless Canada has drifted back to the stone age in the time I've been in Korea, I would think that once the guy puts her info into the computer, the pending PR application will show up on his screen. Can anyone say if that's correct?

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
Rob_TO said:
Yes it is probably easier, but there really isn't a big reason for doing it in the first place. In other western/wealthy countries like the US, Australia, UK etc... the minimum wage is probably comparable to here. So an illegal worker here can probably have the same lifestyle as if they worked a similar job in their own country.

Compare that to a country like Thailand or China or something, where even a minimum wage job here is considerably better in pay than a similar job over there. So there is more risk for a visitor from those countries in Canada, to want to stay here and work.

Hard to find stats for Canada, but i imagine it would be similar to the USA. Here is a report on unauthorized immigrants currently residing in the USA: http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/statistics/publications/ois_ill_pe_2010.pdf

After the neighboring countries at the top of the list like Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala... the top overseas country of residence for illegals in the USA is from Philippines. So for anyone questioning WHY a country like the Philippines has more strict rules for visiting Canada as opposed to other visa-exempt countries, well as i said it's due to historical stats and trends, as well as political and other reasons. Canada does not just make up random rules on a whim for deciding what counties to be more strict on. There are specific reasons behind it, and the rules are constantly changing.
People from a poor country making a minimum wage in a rich country are still poor. The problem with the Philippines is that they have many more people then they do jobs. They cannot adopt more automated technology because that would put people out of work. So if they are working illegally they are doing many minimum wage jobs that no one else would take. A lazy Filipino is one with only 3 jobs.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bartjones said:
Maybe someone else who has already done this can confirm, but it seems to me all your wife will need in terms of paper will be her passport and return ticket. She'll advise the immigration official that she is visiting Canada with her Canadian husband and has a PR application pending. Unless Canada has drifted back to the stone age in the time I've been in Korea, I would think that once the guy puts her info into the computer, the pending PR application will show up on his screen. Can anyone say if that's correct?
I'm not sure at what point the PR applicant is put into the system as "in progress", that all border officers can access. Maybe after the stage 1 approval?

Regarding the return airplane ticket, often this is not even required. The immigration officers sometimes just rubber stamp a visitor visa and don't even ask to see proof of intention to return.

Actually its sometimes when checking in with the airline in the country outside Canada, where the airline employee will ask to see a return ticket for visa-exempt passengers. I've read a few stories here where they've demanded a return ticket before allowing boarding (though it's not often).