+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland from Inland

reegs

Jun 15, 2010
Hello,

I am in the pre-application stage of the PR process and I have a quick question regarding Inland/Outland procedures. My common-law partner has a multiple-entry TRV which is valid for 2 years. We are going to Canada in a few weeks and we are condidering two possible plans of action:

1) Stay in Canada and apply for PR using the Outland method

2) Stay here (in Peru) and apply for PR using the Outland method

I really do not want to use the Inland process, since it's so long and you have no freedom to leave the country. Basically my concen is that if we travel to Canada in a few weeks (presumably for a short holiday) and then apply for PR, is this going to create problems later on?

If my partner leaves Canada at some point (like if we travel to Peru for xmas), will she possibly be refused entry when returning to Canada since we'd have a PR in process?

My main concern is that by coming to Canada on a tourist visa and then applying for a PR using the Outland process, that our application may be significantly delayed based on the fact that maybe we should have used the Inland method.

What do you think?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Her being in Canada will not delay her outland application or cause any additional problems.

I have no experience with a multi entry TRV but it seems reasonable to assume having a PR app in process won't affect her ability to leave and re-enter. Can never safely assume about this stuff though.
Someone with experience on this will hopefully comment on it.
Allison

Phe

May 11, 2010
Can someone please comment on the post above? Id be really interested to know if applying for OUTLAND sponsership is possible WHILE being inside Canada too?

I am going to reside in Canada for 2 years at least in Nov this year on a TRV which will be provided by my husband's employer (he is getting transferred to his employer office in Toronto from the NZ office). My husband is a Canadian citizen. We are in the process of filling out forms for the OUTLAND sponsership process - however, seems as thought the Police Clearance Cert will take up to 28 working days to issue out...we dont have that time to wait as we're leaving for Canada 2nd November.

With that siad, am i correct to assume that i need to submit my outland sponsership application forms BEFORE entering Canada?? in order for it to be considered outland?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
You do not need to start the PR application process before you enter Canada as you will have a TRV upon entry.

You can apply outland even from within Canada. The difference in outland versus inland is where your application is processed not where you are. An outland application will be processed in the visa office responsible for your country of origin, so if you must attend an interview (and not everyone must), it will be there not in Canada.

Poetic

Star Member
Sep 22, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
12-06-2010
Interview........
No Interview!!!
Passport Req..
25-10-2010
Me & hubby are applying outland while both residing in Canada..CIC actually asked if we prefer outland since it's quicker when I spoke to them. So it's fine.

Good luck with everything!

Phe

May 11, 2010
Thanks you guys!
Another quick question - we have paid for the outland fees and will have everything good to go by the end of this week - except for the police report which im waiting on - which should hopefully arrive soon.
Is there a time frame in regards to having to submit the forms by once payment has been made? i.e. once we paid the fees, can we take as long as we like to submit the forms?

crazylove

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-12-2010
reegs said:
Hello,

I am in the pre-application stage of the PR process and I have a quick question regarding Inland/Outland procedures. My common-law partner has a multiple-entry TRV which is valid for 2 years. We are going to Canada in a few weeks and we are condidering two possible plans of action:

1) Stay in Canada and apply for PR using the Outland method

2) Stay here (in Peru) and apply for PR using the Outland method

I really do not want to use the Inland process, since it's so long and you have no freedom to leave the country. Basically my concen is that if we travel to Canada in a few weeks (presumably for a short holiday) and then apply for PR, is this going to create problems later on?

If my partner leaves Canada at some point (like if we travel to Peru for xmas), will she possibly be refused entry when returning to Canada since we'd have a PR in process?

My main concern is that by coming to Canada on a tourist visa and then applying for a PR using the Outland process, that our application may be significantly delayed based on the fact that maybe we should have used the Inland method.

What do you think?
[/quot

Your partner should come to Canada on her TRV and make an outland application to Mississuaga and put her Peru address in the application. And She is is free to travel to Canada back and forth with her TRV without any problems because she has already been granted with two years multiple entry visa. Outland application is way quicker and she will be able to work in her home country (peru) while her application is in process and oppose to inland. She can stay with you in Canada for maximum of 6 months. And then she can go back and re-entry after few weeks.

Don't do inland application it takes ages and she will not be able to work, but she can travel as she has a trv visa. I have inland application pending and i travelled with my trv numerous times, and also at my current trip i came to london uk to see my family and my trv expired, therefore i had to reapply and they gave me the single entry to visa to get back into canada and pursue my application. I was honest with them when i applied my visa.

Good luck and hope this info helps

crazylove

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2013
AOR Received.
07-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-12-2010
Your partner should come to Canada on her TRV and make an outland application to Mississuaga and put her Peru address in the application. And She is is free to travel to Canada back and forth with her TRV without any problems because she has already been granted with two years multiple entry visa. Outland application is way quicker and she will be able to work in her home country (peru) while her application is in process and oppose to inland. She can stay with you in Canada for maximum of 6 months. And then she can go back and re-entry after few weeks.

Don't do inland application it takes ages and she will not be able to work, but she can travel as she has a trv visa. I have inland application pending and i travelled with my trv numerous times, and also at my current trip i came to london uk to see my family and my trv expired, therefore i had to reapply and they gave me the single entry to visa to get back into canada and pursue my application. I was honest with them when i applied my visa.

Good luck and hope this info helps

reegs

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the information. I haven't visited this site for a while on account of moving back to Canada, but I always appreciate the responses given.

So, my partner and I are in Canada and we're just now assembling the papers to be sent to the outland office in Ontario. I just have one question (I asked this once before and got an answer, but I can't seem to find it now) regarding Designated Medical Practioners in Canada. I know you can have the medical exam done in Canada even using the outland method, but I am wondering where I can find a list of DMPs in Canada. More specifically, in Halifax.

Also, I remember reading about one couple who had their outland med exam done in Halifax and the exam got sent to the wrong place. Is there anything I should be sure to tell the people at the medical office about where to send our exam?

Thanks again for all the help!

reegs

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for the link. I called some of the doctors and it sounds fairly straightforward. The secretary said that all of the forms are sent to the same place and are then divided into inland and outland. Does this sound right?

If anyone has been through this process before, I would love to hear about your experience.

Thanks again!

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
The forms get sent to a regional medical center but I'm not sure if inland and outland get sent to the same one. They will remain there until the visa office processing your application requests them. I remember the problem a forum member described about the med exam being sent to the wrong place, but I think that kind of problem is a rare occurrence and I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure to tell the DMP that you are applying outland.

midnightmav

Star Member
Apr 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2010
AOR Received.
18-08-2010
File Transfer...
04-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I applied Outland through Australia, but I currently live in Montreal. I also called the CIC regarding this issue and they said if I DID want to travel (back to Australia for example) while my application was being processed, Outland was my best option. My application is being be processed Outland regardless of whether I'm in Australia or Canada.

reegs

Jun 15, 2010
Hey everyone,

Just spoke to someone at CIC via the toll-free number in Canada. She seemed to get a little angry when I asked about applying for an outland PR while my spouse is in Canada. she was basically telling me I had to apply inland if my spouse is in Canada. I tried to explain my reasons for applying outland, but she was not very understanding.

I guess the phone call just made me a little nervous about applying outland from inside Canada. I have seen people post on here about applying outland from in Canada and not having any problems, but now I am wondering if it will negatively affect our application.

Not sure what to do.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
reegs said:
Hey everyone,

Just spoke to someone at CIC via the toll-free number in Canada. She seemed to get a little angry when I asked about applying for an outland PR while my spouse is in Canada. she was basically telling me I had to apply inland if my spouse is in Canada. I tried to explain my reasons for applying outland, but she was not very understanding.

I guess the phone call just made me a little nervous about applying outland from inside Canada. I have seen people post on here about applying outland from in Canada and not having any problems, but now I am wondering if it will negatively affect our application.

Not sure what to do.
Hi, reegs!

If you don't need your partner to work for a few months and you can wait the process with him/her in Canada, outland is the best route to go. don't worry about what the CIC agents might tell you. Most of the time you can call again and you'll receive a different answer. Some of them are not well trained and only confuse/mislead the callers.
Please do not hesitate to choose outland, it is the fastest way to go. Outland applications have the right to appeal if denied, inland applications don't.