Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CanadianJeepGuy said:
People from a poor country making a minimum wage in a rich country are still poor. The problem with the Philippines is that they have many more people then they do jobs. They cannot adopt more automated technology because that would put people out of work. So if they are working illegally they are doing many minimum wage jobs that no one else would take. A lazy Filipino is one with only 3 jobs.
No argument here about the quality of people in many countries around the world like the Philippines.

However i'm just trying to show there are viable and actual reasons Canada (and other countries) have the rules that they do to protect their borders and the citizens living within. So IMO it's silly that when someone feels hard done by they start making claims of others being dishonest, racist, extreme cultural biases or intolerance etc etc.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Rob_TO said:
I'm not sure at what point the PR applicant is put into the system as "in progress", that all border officers can access. Maybe after the stage 1 approval?

Regarding the return airplane ticket, often this is not even required. The immigration officers sometimes just rubber stamp a visitor visa and don't even ask to see proof of intention to return.

Actually its sometimes when checking in with the airline in the country outside Canada, where the airline employee will ask to see a return ticket for visa-exempt passengers. I've read a few stories here where they've demanded a return ticket before allowing boarding (though it's not often).
I can offer a bit of info on this! When I entered Canada to wait out my PR, i showed our first stage approval to her as well as my receipt. She then looked up the info and I saw it all appear on the screen. So they can definitely see your status after first stage approval. I had my return ticket, and proof of funds. She examined my return ticket and then sent us to another officer (we imported our cat with us so we had some more to do!).

It's an interesting point about the airline asking for the return ticket. Many years ago (7 years ago now I think), my wife and I went to visit her folks in Nova Scotia for a month or so. I just had a one way ticket as I wasn't sure exactly when we'd be leaving (my wife needed a new visa for Australia where we were moving). The airline almost refused to board me and told me that CBSA would not admit me to the country without a return ticket. So I had to go ahead and book an onward ticket over the phone right there and then to go to Australia! The CBSA then did give me a very hard time at Halifax, but admitted me for the amount of time I wanted to stay.

Anyone going for an inland application, I would strongly recommend that you get a return ticket.

tamarindball

Sep 10, 2012
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Kingston
App. Filed.......
November 30, 2012
AOR Received.
December 11, 2012
File Transfer...
January 9, 2013
Med's Done....
November 13, 2012
Nothing dishonest about that. If that were the case CIC would not extend your visitor's visa, they would just deny the extension and tell you to return home. I am awaiting PR and I am here on a visitor's visa which expires in a couple of years but my passport stamp expired and I got a two-year extension! CIC is well aware of the reasons why I requested extension so it's all transparent, and nothing dishonest about the process.

brightredscream said:
People do it, but it's dishonest.

bartjones

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2013
Doc's Request.
08/27/2013 and 12/20/13 and 07/24/14
AOR Received.
16/03/2013
File Transfer...
04/04/13
Med's Done....
29/01/2013 redone 13/02/14 and 25/03/14
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2014/08/27
LANDED..........
09/09/2014
DGT said:
I can offer a bit of info on this! When I entered Canada to wait out my PR, i showed our first stage approval to her as well as my receipt. She then looked up the info and I saw it all appear on the screen. So they can definitely see your status after first stage approval. I had my return ticket, and proof of funds. She examined my return ticket and then sent us to another officer (we imported our cat with us so we had some more to do!).
Thanks. That helps. I'm expecting sponsorship approval before we arrive. I already have a UCI number and file number that CIC sent with my AOR. I wonder if that's enough.

Rob_TO said:
Regarding the return airplane ticket, often this is not even required. The immigration officers sometimes just rubber stamp a visitor visa and don't even ask to see proof of intention to return.
I've heard many stories about people being refused boarding at Inchon without a return ticket, which would be disastrous. As a result I thought it was wiser to buy my wife a refundable return ticket, so I have no worries there.

CanNZ

Mar 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-13
AOR Received.
10-07-13
File Transfer...
22-07-13
Med's Request
Sent with app.
Med's Done....
14-06-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2015
LANDED..........
07-03-2015
Most likely, this is what my wife and I will be doing, I seen no problem with it personally.

margobear96

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 15, 2012 (rec'd)
AOR Received.
November 26, 2012
File Transfer...
November 26, 2012
Med's Done....
September 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
April 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 26, 2013 (rec'd May 2, 2013)
LANDED..........
May 4, 2013
Luckyman said:
I don't understand how being married to a Canadian resident poses low risk to overstay?
Just for me personally, but as an American married to a Canadian, if my PR application was rejected (BTW highly unlikely given several years of marriage and two kids), I would NOT become indefinitely illegal in Canada. My husband and the kids would be moving back to the States with me and I'd apply for a greencard for him.

OP, it's not dishonest. Inland/outland just describes which visa office will be processing the application. It is not based on the applicant's residence. My outland application discloses that I was already in Canada when it was filed. We also used a lawyer to clear questions like yours and to review our application before filing.

treefour

Dec 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 27, 2012
AOR Received.
December 31, 2012
Med's Done....
December 18, 2012
Passport Req..
April 24, 2013
LANDED..........
March 5, 2013
margobear96 said:
Just for me personally, but as an American married to a Canadian, if my PR application was rejected (BTW highly unlikely given several years of marriage and two kids), I would NOT become indefinitely illegal in Canada. My husband and the kids would be moving back to the States with me and I'd apply for a greencard for him.

OP, it's not dishonest. Inland/outland just describes which visa office will be processing the application. It is not based on the applicant's residence. My outland application discloses that I was already in Canada when it was filed. We also used a lawyer to clear questions like yours and to review our application before filing.
Same for me, if my wife is refused (also not likely as we've been together 12 years, married for 5, with 2 kids) we'll all be going back to Taiwan.

CanadianJeepGuy

Champion Member
Jun 24, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2012; "In Process" 26-04-2013
Doc's Request.
docs and pics resent 04-09-2012
AOR Received.
16-08-2012 (Unofficial. Received email missing docs)
File Transfer...
09-10-2012
Med's Request
April 14th 2013
Med's Done....
Dec 2011; re-med May 06 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 06 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27 2013
LANDED..........
June 15th 2013
margobear96 said:

I think his complaint is more about fairness than it is about honesty.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
I do not know it you HAVE to show anything when landing concerning the PR. I mean't to say I would show them any documentation we have to let them (CBSA) know the PR is in-process...just to keep everything above board. I remember trying to buy a oneway ticket to Korean from canada many years ago. It was actually cheaper to by a return ticket. So, we don't mind buying a return ticket if that is still the case.