+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying on Canadian passport by post

Mjaber

Apr 25, 2014
Anyone tried to apply on Canadian passport by post. How long does it take ? Is it really one month as mentioned?
Please let's share our experience on that.

Chrisstina

Sep 14, 2018
Anyone tried to apply on Canadian passport by post. How long does it take ? Is it really one month as mentioned?
Please let's share our experience on that.
Yes I have applied for new Canadian passport. You can contact at 1 800 567 6868 to get latest update of new Canadian passport. I have been told that 20 working days will be taken in issuance of new passport plus mailing time.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Yes I have applied for new Canadian passport. You can contact at 1 800 567 6868 to get latest update of new Canadian passport. I have been told that 20 working days will be taken in issuance of new passport plus mailing time.
When did you apply?
Did you get/ Do you get any acknowledgement other than the postal tracking system's delivery status from the passport program similar to the "AOR" one gets for citizenship/PR application?

Chrisstina

Sep 14, 2018
When did you apply?
Did you get/ Do you get any acknowledgement other than the postal tracking system's delivery status from the passport program similar to the "AOR" one gets for citizenship/PR application?
No. I received message from FEDEX that they have handed over my mail to XXXXX person. I sent application on 12th Aug through Fedex and Fedex delivered the same next day i. 13th Aug 2020 at 1300 pm. On contacting passport helpline I was informed that my letter is in their system but the same has neither been opened not any file created. He further informed that I should contact them after 10 working days from the date of receipt of my application, then they will share with me the tracking number and if my application is found correct by them then after 20 working days they will send me the passport.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
No. I received message from FEDEX that they have handed over my mail to XXXXX person. I sent application on 12th Aug through Fedex and Fedex delivered the same next day i. 13th Aug 2020 at 1300 pm. On contacting passport helpline I was informed that my letter is in their system but the same has neither been opened not any file created. He further informed that I should contact them after 10 working days from the date of receipt of my application, then they will share with me the tracking number and if my application is found correct by them then after 20 working days they will send me the passport.
Thanks.

Mjaber

Apr 25, 2014
Thanks for your reply.. Useful info

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
I saw in passport application original certificate needs to be attached. So do we really need to send original citizenship certificate?

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
I saw in passport application original certificate needs to be attached. So do we really need to send original citizenship certificate?
Yes original certificate is needed.
If you apply for the passport over the mail then you will receive the original certificate back in mail.
If you apply for the passport in person at the passport / service canada office then the officer checks and returns the original while collecting the application.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Maybe attach a certified copy (by notary) instead of original...........dont want it to get lost......getting a replacement would be a pain given delays at IRCC.

Attach a certified/notarised copy if by mail. Or try apply in person thru Passport Office

PranavKat

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2171 - FSW-Outland
Doc's Request.
21-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-09-2015
Passport Req..
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016
LANDED..........
09-07-2016
Maybe attach a certified copy (by notary) instead of original...........dont want it to get lost......getting a replacement would be a pain given delays at IRCC.

Attach a certified/notarised copy if by mail. Or try apply in person thru Passport Office
My concern is also revolving around the issue to send original documents in post.
Has anybody verified that notarised copies are accepted.
Passport offices are not yet open so that is not an option.

PranavKat

Star Member
Jul 10, 2015
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
2171 - FSW-Outland
Doc's Request.
21-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-10-2015
Med's Done....
05-09-2015
Passport Req..
18-03-2016
VISA ISSUED...
07-04-2016
LANDED..........
09-07-2016
Called the passport helpline.
Citizenship Certificate is mandatory to be sent in original.
One copy of other Photo ID proofs need to be signed by the Guarantor with the text "I have seen and verified the original documents." and sent with the application.
Citizenship Certificate will be sent back via normal post.
Not very confident of sending Citizenship Certificate.
Super confused.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Called the passport helpline.
Citizenship Certificate is mandatory to be sent in original.
One copy of other Photo ID proofs need to be signed by the Guarantor with the text "I have seen and verified the original documents." and sent with the application.
Citizenship Certificate will be sent back via normal post.
Not very confident of sending Citizenship Certificate.
Super confused.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
This is stupid. They send passport by Xpresspost (why not put the certificate in that envelope too). Why mail separately ??
Not only an added expense but also very stupid to send such a document in ordinary mail.

Anyway please keep a copy before sending original by mail, or wait and apply passport in person when need to travel.
Or purchase a refundable ticket, get passport and then refund the ticket......

Reactions: Mjaber

Mjaber

Apr 25, 2014
Hi Chrisstina.. Out of curiosity.. did you get your passport or tracking number for your application?