+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Inland for PR but working overseas

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
Hi,

I am just in the process of filling out my applications for the Inland permanent residence application in the common-law class. I have been living in Canada for about 10 months now on 2 consecutive visitor-visa's but I am able to continue working as a self-employed freelancer for companies in the UK (my country of citizenship) because all of my work is done over the internet and therefore doesn't have any impact on the Canadian Labour Market.
I've checked that this is okay with an e-mail to immigration, an immigration lawyer and with the immigration border agent at the airport where I last entered Canada.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody who has made the application for permanent residence has been in a similar situation in terms of working remotely and what the best way to state this on my application may be? Specifically on my Background Declaration (IMM 5669) under 'Personal History' and 'Activity' - would I say I have not been working under the principle that activities which do not impact on the Canadian Labour Market are not considered 'work' for the purposes of this definition?
Or might it be better to state that I am working still effectively within the UK and explain this in detail on an additional attached sheet?

Any ideas/experience would be much appreciated, thanks!

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Can I ask why you're applying inland if you're from the UK?
Outland is much faster.....

All Out/In means is the Visa office, not where you physically are. I applied outland through London while in Canada and from start to finish took just under 4 months, opposed to 9/10 months for 1st stage approval inland.... Many others did what I did aswell.

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
Pinklady, thank's for your advice. I wasn't aware of the speed that outland applications processed through London could be completed in.

I was aware that I could apply 'outland' from within Canada but my decision was based on the fact that I couldn't guarantee any sort of status within Canada during the process if I apply outland. My current visitor visa expires in a couple of months and I would be illegal in Canada after that. With the inland application I can apply for an open work permit at the same time and have implied status until that is processed (after first stage approval of PR). I don't think I could get the same guarantee of being able to remain here with the outland method and I really don't want to be separated from my partner during that time even if the end result is quicker!

Does this make sense? I've been trying to get my head around these processes for a couple of months now and some of the most vital information seems so difficult to come by!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
You can extend your visitor status online. Ask for a year, provide a copy of your receipt of payment for the PR app, proof you or your partner will support you until you recieve PR. My husband and I did it this way and it was fine.

I would def apply through London as Pinklady suggested though.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Yep, apply to extend your visitor status, if you send it by mail, it can take like 3-4 months to process and once they have received your application you are on implied status. It costs $75.
You should pay the PR fees first and send a copy of the receipt as proof of your PR application, that will increase chances of getting the visitor extension, although its pretty likely anyway.

I'm telling you, outland is the way to go!

RPJ

Sep 18, 2011
That's useful to know.
I wish I'd have received a more positive outlook on being able to extend my visitor status from others.
Both an immigration lawyer (just consultation) and phone agents at CIC were less than positive about
granting this extension if I applied outland. That coupled with the idea of a 10-11 month wait outland,
rather than the much speedier times you've suggested, meant that I didn't want to take that risk.
I'll have to seriously consider changing my application.
I'm seriously starting to wish I had employed a representative!

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
You don't need a rep, just make sure you read through everything carefully and thoroughly.
CIC agents and lawyers often give incorrect advice.
What you are getting here is actual advice from people who have been through it.
Perhaps join the outland london thread if you have more questions.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.2580.html

Another advantage of outland...you can leave if you want to, for vacation, or whatever and should the worst happen, you have the right of appeal. But rejection doesnt seem as common through the London office.

I realise we have given you some things to think about.
But you still have a couple of months left on visitor visa, if you apply for an extension do it by mail, then you are on implied status. Current waiting time for mail application is 145, so you have that plus the couple of months left on current status. If you submit soon, there is a high chance you'd get the PPR before you even heard about your visitor extension!

I am just trying to save you some time.
9/10 months for inland before you can work, but outland, it will likely be completed in 5/6!