+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying Inland - Completed Basis of Claim - How to Hand IN? Process?

Venezuelan101

Sep 16, 2019
Hi im Venezuelan living in Canada for over 5 years as a student

My status expired a few months ago and I got the standard "your extension has been refused" letter after requesting extension

I was advised to apply for asylum as it is not possible for me to go back to Venezuela for various reasons even though family is there.

Question: When I hand in my basis of claim what is the procedure - I just go in and hand everything in ? Im in Montreal and plan to go an hour before they open to hand in. Good idea?

I put all my basis of claim and other evidence in folders, binders and in paper protectors , will they accept this?

xxffgg

Star Member
Aug 13, 2019
I advise you to seek legal counsel... Don't take this lightly..

When handling your BOC (Basis of Claim) there's no need to have evidence.. an officer will read your BOC and make a decision that same day whether your BOC is legit or not, no need for evidence at this moment... if the officer determines your BOC is legit, your case will be handled to the IRB (immigration and refugee board), your passport(s) and national ID card will be seized, s/he will handle a Refugee Claimant Document (called in some places as the brown paper) with your picture and personal data on it.. s/he will give you a hearing date (this is just an estimate.. 99% of the cases they defer the hearing to a later date).. blah blah blah.. you'll receive a bunch of papers.. notices of seizures, photocopies of your documents.. all that..

Now, you'll have to send your evidence to the IRB.. this doesn't have to happen right away, but you can start sending all your evidence.. This is a very delicate process, you can do it by yourself of course, but I highly recommend to seek legal counsel..