+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying in LA office from Canada for Study permit with SX-1 visa

Divhar

Apr 27, 2015
molotoff1984 said:
Hi,

I need to clarify the following information found on LA consulate site:

The visa office in Los Angeles accepts the following applications:

Temporary Resident Visas from people in the USA.
Study Permits and Work Permits from people in the USA West of the Mississippi River*, and from people in Canada on valid visitor status.

I am an international student in Canada on short-term courses (less than 6 months) and have student visa (coded as SX-1) in my passport, but don't have study permit as I don't need it for these studies. Now my intention is to attend long-term courses in Canada (more than 6 months), therefore I need to apply for study permit in the office outside of Canada.

Can I be counted under category 'people in Canada on valid visitor status' and apply for study permit in LA office by mail?

Thanks for your answer in advice, guys.
Hey!
I have applied to the LA VAC as I am in Canada now.
You can applying to LA VAC as long as you have a valid status. But if your valid status is expiring soon and you have not received any reply regarding your study permit, you have to extend your status.
I applied 4 weeks ago online and no reply yet :(
My school starts May 11.
Not sure what to do.

molotoff1984

Star Member
Jan 11, 2013
Hi,

So did I, but then came the reply about my study permit , and I had to withdraw my visitor extension application :) I applied by mail, so can't say how long it takes for online process. My application took 3 months to get approved, and I suspect, most of time it just collected dust until it was 1 month left before my studies, in other word they don't bother until school start date is close enough. It applies to LA only.

Alice100

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi Office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 08, 2009
Doc's Request.
Sept 2009 and March 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
File Transfer...
Sept 2009
Med's Request
March 28, 2011
Med's Done....
May 4 and May 18, 2011
Passport Req..
March 28 but sent on May 26, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 05, 2011
LANDED..........
July 12, 2011
Can somebody please provide the link where to apply for study permit online via Los Angelos office

Thanks