+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for work permit while studying

ramsay8

Jul 25, 2017
I hold an Indian Passport, on a study permit currently and I am enrolled in a program that does not have Co-op, so work is not mandatory for me in order to graduate. Recently, I got an offer for a 16-month internship and that requires me to have a valid work permit since I will have to take a leave from my school for 1 year and I can only work full-time during scheduled breaks, which is the 4 month period for me, from May-August.
I am not eligible for a Co-op work permit since my program is not Co-op and work is not a requirement for me. What are my other options?
I looked into International Experience Canada (IEC), but I am not sure if I would be eligible for it and how it can impact my immigration status in the future.

Thanks,
Rameet

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am on a study permit currently and I am enrolled in a program that does not have Co-op, so work is not mandatory for me in order to graduate. Recently, I got an offer for a 16-month internship and that requires me to have a valid work permit since I will have to take a leave from my school for 1 year and I can only work full-time during scheduled breaks, which is the 4 month period for me, from May-August.
I am not eligible for a Co-op work permit since my program is not Co-op and work is not a requirement for me. What are my other options?
I looked into International Experience Canada (IEC), but I am not sure if I would be eligible for it and how it can impact my immigration status in the future.

Thanks,
Rameet
What passport do you hold?

IEC would be the only easy option if you qualify. Otherwise your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can qualify for a closed work permit.

Reactions: ramsay8

ramsay8

Jul 25, 2017
What passport do you hold?

IEC would be the only easy option if you qualify. Otherwise your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can qualify for a closed work permit.
I hold an Indian Passport. I checked my eligibility on the immigration website and it turns out I am eligible for the Young Professionals category of IEC.

Nishan Baral

Jan 17, 2020
Immigration to Canada from Nepal is this possible. I want to migrate canada in work permite. Anyone who can help me.