+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for trv from outside Canada while waiting for pgwp

Nel1989

Jul 27, 2019
hi I applied for my pgwp while in Canada but left and I am currently in NYC. Should I re-enter Canada before my TRV expires on July 31st? Or is it safe for me to renew my TRV from New York and re-enter Canada while waiting on my pgwp approval?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You need the pgwp to apply for trv unless you want to apply as a visitor. It could also take months to get a trv, I suggest u go back before it expires.

Reactions: Nel1989

Nel1989

Jul 27, 2019
You need the pgwp to apply for trv unless you want to apply as a visitor. It could also take months to get a trv, I suggest u go back before it expires.
Can I actually apply for a TRV and re-enter Canada as a visitor? Would I have to disclose that I am waiting on a pgwp response ?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Can I actually apply for a TRV and re-enter Canada as a visitor? Would I have to disclose that I am waiting on a pgwp response ?
I would disclose it, also you wont be able to work until you get pgwp if i enter as visitor.
If you applied for pgwp before your study permit expired you can work as soon as you applied.

Nel1989

Jul 27, 2019
Thanks so much! I will apply for a visitors visa and when I re-enter I will disclose that I am waiting on my pgwp. I did apply for the pgwp before my study permit expired.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks so much! I will apply for a visitors visa and when I re-enter I will disclose that I am waiting on my pgwp. I did apply for the pgwp before my study permit expired.
Yeah, but leaving the country meant that you lost implied status. You cannot work now till you get your PGWP. Get your TRV, come back, and wait to get the PGWP before you start to work. They may give you the work permit at the port of entry, in which case of course you can start working immediately. But if they tell you to enter as a visitor and wait, then you have to wait.

Nel1989

Jul 27, 2019
Okay got it thank you! So when I apply for the TRV apply to visit Canada right? Instead of applying to work?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Okay got it thank you! So when I apply for the TRV apply to visit Canada right? Instead of applying to work?
Yes. You will apply for a TRV as a visitor since you have no other status currently.

You can't apply directly for a work TRV, there's no such thing.

If you were applying for a Work Permit (say you were a prospective employee with a positive LMIA), then you would get a TRV as part of that application. The TRV is merely a document that allows you to fly/travel to Canada, and ask CBSA for permission to enter.

CBSA then gives you another document that actually grants you status. This document may be

1. Nothing - visitors by default don't get another document (though they may). They may not even get a stamp on the passport. If you don't get a separate document, that means that you are a visitor and have to wait for the PGWP

2. Work Permit- CBSA may print the PGWP right there and give it to you. Then you are on worker status and can start working as per the conditions listed on the document.

3. Study permit - Doesn't apply in your case, but CBSA would print this and give it to you if you were a student.

Reactions: bongoman

Nel1989

Jul 27, 2019
Yes. You will apply for a TRV as a visitor since you have no other status currently.

You can't apply directly for a work TRV, there's no such thing.

If you were applying for a Work Permit (say you were a prospective employee with a positive LMIA), then you would get a TRV as part of that application. The TRV is merely a document that allows you to fly/travel to Canada, and ask CBSA for permission to enter.

CBSA then gives you another document that actually grants you status. This document may be

1. Nothing - visitors by default don't get another document (though they may). They may not even get a stamp on the passport. If you don't get a separate document, that means that you are a visitor and have to wait for the PGWP

2. Work Permit- CBSA may print the PGWP right there and give it to you. Then you are on worker status and can start working as per the conditions listed on the document.

3. Study permit - Doesn't apply in your case, but CBSA would print this and give it to you if you were a student.
So helpful thAnks. When I enter as a visitor should I say that I am currently waiting on a response to my pgwp ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
So helpful thAnks. When I enter as a visitor should I say that I am currently waiting on a response to my pgwp ?
Yes, you should. They will ask you your purpose of visiting, and you should tell them that you just finished studying and have already applied for a PGWP and are waiting to get that. At this point the officer may look it up and if the PGWP has been approved he can print it out and give it to you, or else he'll just let you in and tell you to wait for it.