+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for the PR while living abroad

Jawad88

Nov 21, 2018
I am an Algerian citizen currently living in the USA under a J1 visa. I learned that the process of getting the PR may take up to 6 months: what if by time I get selected and I apply for the PR it will be 2 or 3 months before my visa expiration date here in the USA? I am assuming I will need to send my passport for the PR, how can I leave the USA without a passport? or if I have my passport while waiting for the PR but my visa expires here, what happens then to my application? Can I forward it to my address in Algeria?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Jawad,

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Same answer as on other post

I am not sure under which category you are thinking to apply for Canadian Visa process. Answering only last part of your question.

You don't need to send passport for whole 6 months. After all approvals are done you will get a passport submission request and it will take from 10-15 working days only. Basically you passport will be gone only for 10-15 days.

Good Luck

Reactions: Jawad88

Jawad88

Nov 21, 2018
I am applying for Express Entry under Skilled Worker program. Thank you so much for your answer. My other question was that if I have to leave the USA while still waiting for my PR, can I request the CIC to send my PR to my home country?

Thanks agai nfor your kind answer,

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I am applying for Express Entry under Skilled Worker program. Thank you so much for your answer. My other question was that if I have to leave the USA while still waiting for my PR, can I request the CIC to send my PR to my home country?

Thanks agai nfor your kind answer,
PR Visa is called COPR and it get pasted on Passport. Once all approvals are done you can request CIC to change your local VO. It will delay you application process and not highly recommended as well.

Reactions: Jawad88

Jawad88

Nov 21, 2018
PR Visa is called COPR and it get pasted on Passport. Once all approvals are done you can request CIC to change your local VO. It will delay you application process and not highly recommended as well.
Thank you so much for the clarification.

Jawad,