+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for study permit again after work permit expires

hafiz.ali

Sep 16, 2011
Hi
I have an enquiry .. Currently i am an International Student in Canada . After i complete my study i am eligible for one year work permit . Suppose i am unable to find a suitable job in one year , can i apply for a student visa again , staying in canada itself before the work permit expires ? Please gimme ur opinion on this rather strange case ..

tiger007

Champion Member
hafiz.ali said:
Hi
I have an enquiry .. Currently i am an International Student in Canada . After i complete my study i am eligible for one year work permit . Suppose i am unable to find a suitable job in one year , can i apply for a student visa again , staying in canada itself before the work permit expires ? Please gimme ur opinion on this rather strange case ..
Hi,

You can again apply for a study permit, BUT ONCE YOU USE THE POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT, YOU CAN NEVER EVER APPLY FOR IT AGAIN IN YOUR LIFE. Even if you keep studying for another 10 years, once you use the post grad work permit, be it the minimum 8 months or the maximum 3 years... you cannot use it again and you 'll have to find other ways to remain in Canada.

So, think carefully... and if required instead of using the 1 year post grad work permit after completion of your present course, immediately apply for another study permit for a course of duration 1-2 years. If you do so, after this present 1 year course, if you opt for a 2 years course or a 12-18 months MBA (with minimum 55+ credit hours or so), you'll get a total 3 years post grad work permit and if you opt for another 1 year course... you'll get a total 2 years post graduate work permit.

hafiz.ali

Sep 16, 2011
Thank u soo much for your reply .. So if i join another course for one year after my present course , i will get 2 yrs work permit ... so maybe i will do that .

D

deep22

Hi, If we do two one year PG course (second after one) consequently then in second course, can we start off campus work from starting or it is not allowed to work for first six months like in first course?
thanks.

hafiz.ali

Sep 16, 2011
Once u get sin number u r free to work anywhere till ur visa expires .... sin number u get after completing six months of study in canada with no backlogs in the first sem .... u can use tat sin number even if u r planning to study further in canada ...

Rockybee

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
You can again apply for a study permit, BUT ONCE YOU USE THE POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT, YOU CAN NEVER EVER APPLY FOR IT AGAIN IN YOUR LIFE. Even if you keep studying for another 10 years, once you use the post grad work permit, be it the minimum 8 months or the maximum 3 years... you cannot use it again and you 'll have to find other ways to remain in Canada.

So, think carefully... and if required instead of using the 1 year post grad work permit after completion of your present course, immediately apply for another study permit for a course of duration 1-2 years. If you do so, after this present 1 year course, if you opt for a 2 years course or a 12-18 months MBA (with minimum 55+ credit hours or so), you'll get a total 3 years post grad work permit and if you opt for another 1 year course... you'll get a total 2 years post graduate work permit.[/QUOTE
Hi,

I'm in the same situation, so If I enrol in a one year program, apply for a work permit and I therefore maintain implied status in Canada. Can I still remain in the Express Entry pool and accept my ITA should if I receive one?[/QUOTE]

Rockybee

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Hi,

So, think carefully... and if required instead of using the 1 year post grad work permit after completion of your present course, immediately apply for another study permit for a course of duration 1-2 years. If you do so, after this present 1 year course, if you opt for a 2 years course or a 12-18 months MBA (with minimum 55+ credit hours or so), you'll get a total 3 years post grad work permit and if you opt for another 1 year course... you'll get a total 2 years post graduate work permit.
Which application form should I use to apply for a study permit again inside Canada?

hamedh25

Aug 6, 2020
Hello
I have a work permit visa and when I came to Canada I apply for study permit. My study permit has been issued. I still have my work permit VISA. Can I work more than 20 hours or my work permit visa is not valid anymore?