+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR card renewal but not meeting RO

canadapr2022

Sep 21, 2020
We landed in Jun 2015 and left after getting PR cards since I was looking after my father and my presence was mandatory. My parents were able to travel to Australia in Feb-2020 with my brother as my father looked a bit better in Feb-2020 but his inside he was not that good or our assessment was wrong however that allowed us to travel back to Canada in Sep-2020 delayed due to COVID and we were allowed inside based on the reasons provided at the POE.

Sadly my father's condition got complicated while in Australia and he passed away in Apr2021 after a long and very hard battle with interstitial lung disease he was hospitalized for 5 months and this took quite a toll mentally on my mother and bother, I was not able to travel due to COVID and also due to PR status.
My mother returned to India in Sep 2021 and she needs my help with processing pension and property inheritance and many other things, I'm morally obligated to travel for her.

Since Sep-2020 we are inside Canada my children are enrolled in school, I started IT consulting in Feb2021 (Self Employed),

Given the reasons what are the chances of getting my PR card renewed based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
Should I submit for PR card renewal or travel without it and try to enter via the US border on an expired PR card.

I'm also applying for TRV for my other and if that is approved i would bring her with me to Canada, My family will remain in Canada during my travel...

Please advise thanks in advance!

canadapr2022

Sep 21, 2020
We landed in Jun 2015 and left after getting PR cards since I was looking after my father and my presence was mandatory. My parents were able to travel to Australia in Feb-2020 with my brother as my father looked a bit better in Feb-2020 but his inside he was not that good or our assessment was wrong however that allowed us to travel back to Canada in Sep-2020 delayed due to COVID and we were allowed inside based on the reasons provided at the POE.

Sadly my father's condition got complicated while in Australia and he passed away in Apr2021 after a long and very hard battle with interstitial lung disease he was hospitalized for 5 months and this took quite a toll mentally on my mother and bother, I was not able to travel due to COVID and also due to PR status.
My mother returned to India in Sep 2021 and she needs my help with processing pension and property inheritance and many other things, I'm morally obligated to travel for her.

Since Sep-2020 we are inside Canada my children are enrolled in school, I started IT consulting in Feb2021 (Self Employed),

Given the reasons what are the chances of getting my PR card renewed based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds?
Should I submit for PR card renewal or travel without it and try to enter via the US border on an expired PR card.

I'm also applying for TRV for my mother and if that is approved i would bring her with me to Canada, My family will remain in Canada during my travel...

Correction:
I'm also applying for TRV for my mother and if that is approved i would bring her with me to Canada, My family will remain in Canada during my travel...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I'm also applying for TRV for my other and if that is approved i would bring her with me to Canada, My family will remain in Canada during my travel...

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

Best option is not to renew your PR card until you meet the residency requirement.

Were you the only child who was living in your parents' home country from 2015 to 2021? Was your brother (and any other siblings) living elsewhere for that entire period of time?

canadapr2022

Sep 21, 2020
I was living in Saudi at that time but I was able to keep my parents with me, yes there were no siblings present in India I tried to get TRV for my parents and it was refused.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was living in Saudi at that time but I was able to keep my parents with me, yes there were no siblings present in India I tried to get TRV for my parents and it was refused.
Hmmm... That makes it a much less clear H&C case in my opinion since you weren't in India. You were working in Saudi and brought your parents with you. That makes it look like the main driver for being outside of Canada was employment (which isn't considered under H&C).

I would personally not apply to renew your PR card under H&C. I do not think you have a strong H&C argument.

That's my two cents.

canadapr2022

Sep 21, 2020
You have a point and PR renewal form is asking for Travel History but Saudi was my home I spent more years of my life in Saudi than India overall.. I was a teenager when I left India
Also what happens if PR is not renewed, the VO revokes my PR status? this might make entry from the US not possible.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have a point and PR renewal form is asking for Travel History but Saudi was my home I spent more years of my life in Saudi than India overall.. I was a teenager when I left India
Also what happens if PR is not renewed, the VO revokes my PR status? this might make entry from the US not possible.
If you apply to renew your PR card and the renewal is refused, you will lose your PR status. You would then need to appeal in order to try to keep your PR status. Or alternatively, your spouse would need to sponsor you for PR once your spouse meets the residency requirement (so this means your spouse would be able to sponsor you sometime after September 2022).

Reactions: YVR123