+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR and my son has Mild autism

Ln2000

Feb 21, 2021
Hi all and @eithan203 @kunu24 @Nabeel37

My son (almost 4 years old) has Autism level II (moderate, non-verbal). He receives ABA (Behavioural therapy) therapy since November 2020. The therapy is expensive and I am worried if it is included in the costs our application for the PR would be rejected. I've read both that it is not included but also that is included. Can someone please help me gain clarity?
I am particularly worried because my son is ASD level II non-verbal and most of the cases in the chat are high-functional children.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Reactions: eithan203

eithan203

Dec 9, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi all and @eithan203 @kunu24 @Nabeel37

My son (almost 4 years old) has Autism level II (moderate, non-verbal). He receives ABA (Behavioural therapy) therapy since November 2020. The therapy is expensive and I am worried if it is included in the costs our application for the PR would be rejected. I've read both that it is not included but also that is included. Can someone please help me gain clarity?
I am particularly worried because my son is ASD level II non-verbal and most of the cases in the chat are high-functional children.

Your help is very much appreciated.
Hi Ln2000,
I see someone already replied to you in a different group which is correct

Section 1: Services for which costs will be included to determine if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria and conditions under the public policy
Health services:

• Physician services
  • Nursing services
  • laboratory and diagnostic services
  • pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical services
  • hospital services
  • chemotherapy and radiotherapy
  • dialysis
  • psychiatric services
  • supplies related to these services
Social services:
  • Social services closely related to health services:
    • Social services that are provided by a health professional:
      • home care (by a nurse, physiotherapist, respiratory therapist, etc.),
      • palliative care,
      • psychological counseling and
      • the provision of devices related to those services.
    • Medical aids, appliances, and prostheses.
  • Social services that provide constant supervision and care for those who are not able to integrate into society
    • Residential facilities (long-term care, substance abuse services, etc.)
    • Day facilities providing constant supervision (respite care, etc.)
Section 2: Social services for which costs will not be included to determine if an applicant meets the eligibility criteria and conditions under the public policy
  • special education services (preparation of an individualized education plan, educational assistants, etc.)
  • social and vocational rehabilitation services (rehabilitation facilities, occupational therapy, behavioural therapy, speech-language therapy, etc.)
  • personal non-professional support services means services such as assistance with activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, feeding, etc.), meal preparation, house cleaning, etc.
  • provision of devices related to those services.

ABA will not be in the cost so nothing to worry about.

Rudra2013

Jan 15, 2021
Hi @eithan203,

As I am a CEC candidate we did our medical on 19th Feb, 2021 and I told to the Dr that my son has mild autism and we provided his normal school progress report. The Doctor told the school report is fine. Will CIC officer ask for any other report. As we came from India long back like 2 years ago, we had assessment report from India not here in Canada. Currently we are staying here in Toronto Canada for last 2 years. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eithan203

Dec 9, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi @eithan203,

As I am a CEC candidate we did our medical on 19th Feb, 2021 and I told to the Dr that my son has mild autism and we provided his normal school progress report. The Doctor told the school report is fine. Will CIC officer ask for any other report. As we came from India long back like 2 years ago, we had assessment report from India not here in Canada. Currently we are staying here in Toronto Canada for last 2 years. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi Rudra2013,
I don’t think they will ask for anything since autism is no longer an excessive demand.
All autism treatments are excluded from the cost of the excessive demand.
Only thing to do is waiting.
I understand that you did you medicals on February but I think it went for a review only on July.
If you have a GCMS notes you will probably see.

Reactions: Rudra2013

Rudra2013

Jan 15, 2021
Hi Rudra2013,
I don’t think they will ask for anything since autism is no longer an excessive demand.
All autism treatments are excluded from the cost of the excessive demand.
Only thing to do is waiting.
I understand that you did you medicals on February but I think it went for a review only on July.
If you have a GCMS notes you will probably see.
Thanks

Reactions: eithan203

eithan203

Dec 9, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Just an FYI to everyone.
I contacted my MP and wrote the following:
My son is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder which flagged his medical as an excessive demand on the health system.
Since then the Centralized Medical Admissibility Unit (CMAU) didn't review or return a response on his medical or any guidelines about what will be next.
On June 1, 2018 The honourable Ahmed Hussen placed a policy to exclude cases as my son to be an excessive demand on the health system.
I know there are multiple situations right now during this pandemic and I understand how it affects IRCC processing time but I do want to share my and more families that are in the same situation where our children are not an excessive demand and are excluded from the Medical Admissibility but still treated as we are an excessive demand on the health system.
My son is special and I don't see why we are being left behind even if we are not causing any damage or cost to the health system.
I seek your assistance in this matter, and am grateful for any that you and your office provides.
Please feel free to contact me if you need more details and information.

Let’s see what is outcome and I’m probably planning to contact global news and ctv news after my application will be 100% which is next week.
If anyone would like to join to write their opinions and share their story you are welcome to do that with me.
I’m not only thinking about my self but for other families that will have this struggle in the future.

VinothAJ

Star Member
Jan 31, 2020
<<6yr old daughter - mild autism>>

PNP-Outland: Bangalore, India

Spoke to IRCC just now. No updates on our medicals and we did our upfront exactly 4 months back.

Eligibility, Criminality - Passed
Security - Yet to start
Visa Office - CPC-Sydney

My major concern was on medicals and it remains the same.. for now! Guess there is nothing much we can do except wait!

eithan203

Dec 9, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
For those with autism spectrum disorder families.
I contacted the lawyer that actually fought IRCC to make the temporary policy in 2018 and the new one that they are fixing right now.
He stated that children with ASD should not go to CMAU at all and should be passed immediately since they are excluded from the cost and it is a discrimination of what they are doing right now.
His name is Hadayt Nazami and you can google and see that he’s the one who made IRCC to change their policies regarding disabilities.
I asked him to help me and others in this loop to address IRCC why are we still discriminated.
Anyone who would like to come forward can contact Hadayt.
I think it’s a big mistake that we should wait another year so they can actually review our medicals while their policy strictly saying we are excluded!

Reactions: Niki_S

eithan203

Dec 9, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi , Below is the link for the latest news on relaxing medical inadmissibility

https://www.cicnews.com/2021/04/canada-to-relax-medical-inadmissibility-rules-0417734.html#gs.xzyr0d

Also , a mail id is given at the end of the article (IRCC.MHBDGO-BDGDGMS.IRCC@cic.gc.ca ) to submit commentary on the proposed regulatory change .
Please all do the needful .
Unfortunately it will not benefit any family with autism dependent.
I emailed them the day they released the article.
Still no response..