+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PGWP outside of home country

Aiyer12

May 30, 2021
I got stuck in India due to the covid flight restrictions and wasn't able to return to Canada before my student status ended. I still have a valid study permit, but my degree is over so I can't currently return. I also can't apply for my PGWP in India as the biometrics centres are closed, and I've heard the processing time can be in the many months. I have a pressing job offer so I need to find a way to return as soon as possible.

My current plan is to fly to Mexico under a tourist visa and apply for my PGWP from there. The VAC is open and according to the ircc the processing time is only 1 week, though I'm not putting much faith in that timeline.

My questions are:
1. Is this a viable strategy?
2. Anyone have experience on how long it took getting a work permit approved from mexico?
3. Would it be possible to start the application from India, and just go to Mexico for the biometrics?
4. If that was possible, where would I have to give my passport in order to get my TRV?
5. Is it even possible to get a TRV from a country that is not your home?
6. At what point in the process do they ask for your passport in order to give the visa? (I'm worried that the process might take a long time and I might have to leave Mexico before my status there expires)

I know this is a risky thing to attempt, and I wouldn't try it were it not absolutely essential for me to return asap. Any and all advice would be helpful.

rajbir76

Star Member
Jun 13, 2021
i am apply pgwp from india my boimetrics also done. and am not sure how much time get my application approved ???