+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for passport after receiving citizenship

silversnake

Feb 14, 2018
Hey guys,

Random question but finding the answer online or trying to get a hold of someone at the CIC is proving to be very difficult. I just had my ceremony yesterday and I know I'm supposed to wait 2 business days before applying, but looking at the application it mentions citizenship certificate number.

When I look at the certificate that I received yesterday at the ceremony, I don't see an obvious number other then one on the lower left side right under when it was issued to me, is that the number or do I have to apply for a certificate before applying for a passport?

If I apply in person do they keep my original certificate or they just need to view it ?

Thanks for your help guys :)

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Hey guys,

Random question but finding the answer online or trying to get a hold of someone at the CIC is proving to be very difficult. I just had my ceremony yesterday and I know I'm supposed to wait 2 business days before applying, but looking at the application it mentions citizenship certificate number.

When I look at the certificate that I received yesterday at the ceremony, I don't see an obvious number other then one on the lower left side right under when it was issued to me, is that the number or do I have to apply for a certificate before applying for a passport?

If I apply in person do they keep my original certificate or they just need to view it ?

Thanks for your help guys :)
If you shift over the certificate you will easily see the certificate number. Very easy to find.
It has 8 digits starting with a letter ...

If you apply in person, your original will be handed back to you after it has been scanned by the officer.
If you apply my mail, your certificate will be mail back to you likely by courier.

I personally applied in person at the Surrey’s Passport Canada Office. I spent less than 10 minutes in the office.

Last edited:

silversnake

Feb 14, 2018
If you shift over the certificate you will easily see the certificate number. Very easy to find.
It has 8 digits starting with a letter ...

If you apply in person, your original will be handed back to you after it has been scanned by the officer.
If you apply my mail, your certificate will be mail back to you likely by courier.

I personally applied in person at the Surrey’s Passport Canada Office. I spent less than 10 minutes in the office.

Thank you for the quick response!

Wow do I feel stupid, lol! I didn’t bother taking the paper out because it was in the paper sleeve and on the opposite side there was a letter from the prime minister. The number on the lower left is in fact the certificate number.

So you just showed up with your application , photos and supporting documents and handed them in and they took necessary photocopies and that was it ?

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Thank you for the quick response!

Wow do I feel stupid, lol! I didn’t bother taking the paper out because it was in the paper sleeve and on the opposite side there was a letter from the prime minister. The number on the lower left is in fact the certificate number.

So you just showed up with your application , photos and supporting documents and handed them in and they took necessary photocopies and that was it ?
They scan the supporting documents (originals) and hand it back to you. They also key in your guarantor's info and check it out I guess (I saw them typing my guarantor's name). If you are traveling and have specified a date in the application, they ask you questions to decide what service to provide (I asked for Urgent but they gave me a 2 day Express) as I had 4 days before my travel.