+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Express Entry while living in Montreal

Sepide

May 16, 2017
Hello everyone,
I'm a recent PhD graduate from the University of Calgary, now moving to Montreal for my postdoctoral training.
I was hoping to apply for my permanent residency after finishing one year of postdoc (hopefully to be considered one year of job experience). But, now I heard from friends that I won't be able to apply through express entry program when living in Quebec because I have to show intention of living anywhere else than Quebec for EE program. Is that true?
Also, if I want to apply through Quebec program, I need an advanced French to score in the test they need and I don't know any French. So, it will take quite a while for me to reach that level of French.
Please advise me if you know about this matter.
I really appreciate if you can help me and tell me which program I should apply and which I shouldn't.

Thanks

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
Hello everyone,
I'm a recent PhD graduate from the University of Calgary, now moving to Montreal for my postdoctoral training.
I was hoping to apply for my permanent residency after finishing one year of postdoc (hopefully to be considered one year of job experience). But, now I heard from friends that I won't be able to apply through express entry program when living in Quebec because I have to show intention of living anywhere else than Quebec for EE program. Is that true?
Also, if I want to apply through Quebec program, I need an advanced French to score in the test they need and I don't know any French. So, it will take quite a while for me to reach that level of French.
I really appreciate if you can help me and tell me which program I should apply and which I shouldn't.

Thanks
Yes, what you have heard is true .. means you can apply but then you have to prove to CIC about your intention of residing outside Quebec ...
For Quebec program - It's point based system you don't need to know french provided you are able to secure required points , pls visit immigration Quebec website
http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/permanent-workers/requirements-programs/language-knowledge.html

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
You can apply for federal PR while you are living in Quebec. However, as mentioned by other you may need to show that your intention to go outside Quebec after finishing yout post doctoral studies.

enter802

Jul 4, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thanks
I am currently exactly in your shoes and thus I was wondering, how did it go for you and what did you do? Your guidance could really help me out man!

enter802

Jul 4, 2019
You can apply for federal PR while you are living in Quebec. However, as mentioned by other you may need to show that your intention to go outside Quebec after finishing yout post doctoral studies.
Any idea/tips on how to convince that I intend to go outside Quebec? I am starting my PhD at McGill from September 2019 and it will take about 3 years to complete my PhD.

srm057

Dec 30, 2015
Montreal Quebec
Visa Office......
CIO-SYDNEY
App. Filed.......
23-02-2016
AOR Received.
04-04-2016
Med's Request
25-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016; Recvd 12-08-2016
Passport Req..
08-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2017
LANDED..........
27-06-2017
Any idea/tips on how to convince that I intend to go outside Quebec? I am starting my PhD at McGill from September 2019 and it will take about 3 years to complete my PhD.

It would be a hard sell. Unless you have some property or family outside Quebec. I don't see how to convince them because you have already told them that you are committed to Quebec for next 3-4 years..

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hello everyone,

Thanks
Moving to Québec is a mistake I think. Express Entry from Québec is 50-50. Sometimes you will be put into review requires and your application will take more than an year for a decision.

Moreover you will have to prove intentions.
It all depends on the visa officer who is checking your application that's why I said 50-50.

Say if you plan to apply thru Québec route, but the immigration department held by minister Simon of CAQ party has a mind of Thuglak, the infamous king who changes his mind frequently. Students and temporary workers who trusted Québec immigration are screwed now. If you learn French and apply thru PEQ, then things are faster, but not as fast as Express Entry.

So think twice. Do not take lawyers or immigration agency's advice for this. They want only your money. There are experts in this forum who will give you sound advice than them.

Last edited: