+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Express Entry from Quebec***

mbkingsnake

Oct 23, 2017
Good afternoon all,

I'm in a pickle. Background info: working in Quebec under closed temp. work permit, tons fo points of EE, waning to leave Quebec for SEVERAL reasons

But, my permit is closed, so I cannot move to Ontario BEFORE receiving my PR. Otherwise I would have to leave Candace altogether. I wrote a good letter with our reasons to leave and why we cannot leave right now but will as soon as we are allowed.

Anyone with experience can tell me what they think of the situation?

Thanks!

karimarmaan

Nov 6, 2018
Hey Cherti,

Have you got any update on your EE application.
my company is based out of Ontario and I am working in Quebec at Client office, so would it give me an edge if I apply for EE from Quebec
Hey Manik, did you try your luck?

I am in the same situation, I am working in Quebec at Client office where as my parent company is based out of Toronto. I am on open work permit with work locations - Montreal and Toronto. I got the ITA and need to submit the documents in a month, any pointers would help me to prepare proper LOE.

manik1203

Star Member
Feb 21, 2018
Hey Manik, did you try your luck?

I am in the same situation, I am working in Quebec at Client office where as my parent company is based out of Toronto. I am on open work permit with work locations - Montreal and Toronto. I got the ITA and need to submit the documents in a month, any pointers would help me to prepare proper LOE.
Hi,
No ,I didn't try that. Now, I am planning to move to Ontario to apply for EE.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have a question and would appreciate any response.
I have been starting my Ph.D. at a University within Quebec very recently, and at the same time, I realized that I am also eligible for Express Entry (after calculating my score on the CIC web site, the score was 461). However, by studying the EE rules, I realized that according to EE regulations one must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. I know that you can apply to express entry from Quebec but I have come up with a question that if I open the Express entry profile and my profile goes forward, can I continue my education here and leave Quebec after my graduation or I have to leave Quebec as soon as my profile goes to the next steps. Does the fact that I am studying within Quebec have any controversy with the so-called has to be proven intention of leaving Quebec?

thanks a lot
Yes, it would be quite tricky although others have succeeded in your position. It would be a matter of being able to prove (if possible) any ties to other provinces and your intention to reside outside such province.

CanadaVisa45

Feb 1, 2019
Hi guys,
I just moved From US to Montreal area on Closed work visa Through my Employer like two weeks ago, I didn't knew that Quebec doesn't come Under regular Express Entry, but I was going through the Forums and found this one, so what are the Odds if I Proceed with Express Entry for PR, any positive stories ? any suggestion would be a great help.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,
I just moved From US to Montreal area on Closed work visa Through my Employer like two weeks ago, I didn't knew that Quebec doesn't come Under regular Express Entry, but I was going through the Forums and found this one, so what are the Odds if I Proceed with Express Entry for PR, any positive stories ? any suggestion would be a great help.
Get a year of work experience, make sure that's enough for an ITA and move out of Quebec.

Reactions: cherti

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi guys,
Your closed work permit will be valid for 2 years. Like @DelPiero07 said, get an year of work experience and make sure you have enough points for ITA without claiming points for LMIA (because you will be quitting the job). Then quit your job, move out of Quebec, rent apartment and get a driving license in Ontario. Apply for Express Entry. The driver's license and apartment rent will come in handy, if the visa officer asks for proof that you are residing in Ontario and not in Quebec.

Start preparing the documents that you need for Express Entry ASAP. Like credentials evaluation, IELTS test, get police certificates & employment letters so that you are all set to apply express entry 1 year from now.

Getting a permanent residency thru Quebec is a lost cause if you do not know French. Regular skilled worker programs in Quebec are suspended and its future uncertain with the current anti immigration rhetoric in Quebec and the CAQ government immigration policies.

Now if you apply for Express Entry while working and residing in Quebec, it depends on your luck, some people have got it, some are still in review required even after an year of AOR.

iluvtomorrowland

Jun 28, 2017
Your closed work permit will be valid for 2 years. Like @DelPiero07 said, get an year of work experience and make sure you have enough points for ITA without claiming points for LMIA (because you will be quitting the job). Then quit your job, move out of Quebec, rent apartment and get a driving license in Ontario. Apply for Express Entry. The driver's license and apartment rent will come in handy, if the visa officer asks for proof that you are residing in Ontario and not in Quebec.

Start preparing the documents that you need for Express Entry ASAP. Like credentials evaluation, IELTS test, get police certificates & employment letters so that you are all set to apply express entry 1 year from now.

Getting a permanent residency thru Quebec is a lost cause if you do not know French. Regular skilled worker programs in Quebec are suspended and its future uncertain with the current anti immigration rhetoric in Quebec and the CAQ government immigration policies.

Now if you apply for Express Entry while working and residing in Quebec, it depends on your luck, some people have got it, some are still in review required even after an year of AOR.
Maybe my knowledge is limited but it is not easy as it sounds. How can someone just quit his job and move out of Quebec unless he has an open work permit. Quitting a job on closed work permit technically means invalidating your status in Canada and hell lot of problems down the line. Coming to Quebec as a temporary worker is a lost cause.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Maybe my knowledge is limited but it is not easy as it sounds. How can someone just quit his job and move out of Quebec unless he has an open work permit. Quitting a job on closed work permit technically means invalidating your status in Canada and hell lot of problems down the line. Coming to Quebec as a temporary worker is a lost cause.
He can quit the job, that doesn't mean his status will become invalid. He still is in legal status till his visa expires on his passport. Once he quits job, move out of Quebec and get his AOR for Express Entry, he can apply for BOWP and once its approved he can start working. BOWP is valid for 1 year and by that time he will get his PR.

CanadaVisa45

Feb 1, 2019
Thanks @cherti, will see the best possible options, trying through Quebec without French seems tough. Is there any route through my employer to try for Quebec rather Express Entry ?

Reactions: qaimali

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Thanks @cherti, will see the best possible options, trying through Quebec without French seems tough. Is there any route through my employer to try for Quebec rather Express Entry ?
In Quebec, there are two ways:

1. PEQ - Attain high French proficiency asap within 1 - 1.5 years ( grok on French somehow) and apply for CSQ via PEQ category which is still open & fast. You will get CSQ within 1 month max ( they will call you for face to face French interview if they have doubts about your French tests, so make sure you are good in French) , then with that CSQ you can renew your work permit as you will be LMIA exempt for work permit renewal when you have a CSQ in hand. The Federal stage will still take 20 months though. Ask your employer to enroll you to French course and bear the costs for that. In fact in an LMIA based job, the employer has a duty to help the foreign worker to adapt in Quebec.

2. Regular skilled workers - Quebec has stopped Mon Project, new one is Arrima which has not been functional yet. Its a point based system, but they never revealed a proper criteria to pick candidates yet. The candidates who are already working in Quebec will have priority for sure but that wont be enough and their immigration policies are not clear or transparent at this time. The current government (CAQ) is center-right anti immigrant. I will not wait on CAQ government to fix their broken immigration system if I were you. So do not rely on this as of now.

Now to answer your question, thru your employer, one way I suggest is if your employer has work location outside Quebec. If so, ask your employer to relocate you there and work remotely if you can and apply for Express Entry. That is the only way I see it, ( I am not a lawyer or consultant, you might want to get advice from a lawyer who knows their stuff, many immigration lawyers are useless & in Quebec, arrogant too, so pick a good one & never pick a French lawyer ( IMO arrogance++ )

I am listing down your options, not in any sort of priority. Its upto you to decide your pathway.

a). Apply for Express Entry from Quebec and see if it works out ( its not illegal or misrepresentation) and many have succeeded in that.
b). Move out of Quebec after 1 year so that you get extra points for EE.
c). Find another LMIA work permit job or Global Talent Stream in any other province asap and quit your current job.
d). Learn French asap and apply via PEQ.
e). Ask your employer to relocate you to Ontario and work remotely. (Chances are more to get approved in Express Entry in this case)
e). Wait for Arrima Portal

Masa.Amin

May 13, 2019
Hello everyone,

Please help me with my situation to how explain my intention to leave Quebec:
I am a PhD student here in Quebec, I got a Master degree from Ontario and my son was born in Ontario! I've recently noticed that I can apply to EE as I have 3 years of foreign work experience! But, I am wondering how I can explain I will leave Quebec as soon as I finish my PhD (3 years remained to graduate)!
Does it count that no body in my family know French, my son born in Ontario and I got a Master degree there?
Or Can I rent a house close to Ontario-Quebec border for my wife and son (with keeping my current apartment in Montreal) and use it as a proof of intention to leave Quebec?

Please let me know your opinions,
Thanks

aloshalaa1992

May 16, 2019
Hi @cherti

I am currently a PhD student and Uottawa but I live in the Quebec side. I have filed my taxes in Quebec for the past 2 years. I would like to ask you guys how would I prove that intention to leave Quebec? Do you suggest that I apply right away and prove the intentions? Or do you suggest that I move my living address and sell my car and change everything before I apply to EE?

I am stuck between those 2 options and I hope you guys can help.

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi @cherti

I am currently a PhD student and Uottawa but I live in the Quebec side. I have filed my taxes in Quebec for the past 2 years. I would like to ask you guys how would I prove that intention to leave Quebec? Do you suggest that I apply right away and prove the intentions? Or do you suggest that I move my living address and sell my car and change everything before I apply to EE?

I am stuck between those 2 options and I hope you guys can help.
Move out of Quebec , change address, sell car ? ( why ? ) but change your driving permit and then apply. But if you work in Quebec, it will be tough to prove intent.