Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2014
LANDED..........
29-10-2014
I'm wanting to apply for Citizenship in Canada but I'll be going to the US for a while within the next few months. I recently went through the process to get permanent residency in the US. I received the US immigration visa now but I haven't activated it yet. Has anyone applied for Canadian citizenship while doing something like that?

notes: keeping CA address; will be able to fly back quickly; intent to live here later; have not activated the US PR but have to do so in latest 5 months.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
In the citizenship application you need to list your existing citizenships and residency statuses.

During my interview I was explicitly asked if I have a PR, working, or citizenship status in any other country than Canada and my home country.

I wonder how the answer "I got my US residency couple of months ago." would affect my Canadian citizenship application. For sure that would cause some problems in the past when intent to reside in Canada was part of the C-24 law.

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Seeing as how you will need to activate the US visa within the time frame of when your citizenship application is being processed, you'd need to update IRCC at some point regarding the additional status. Or at least, I think you would.

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
In order to have been able to qualify to acquire PR in the USA, one'd have to have had or been in I-787 or I-484 (or whichever US form it is) status for a while as that application was being processed down there; so one'd had to have declared such a pending/interim status on one's Canadian citizenship application in order to be in full compliance with the spirit of the Canadian form, a reasonable person (i.e., the examining/determining Canadian officer) would think.

ronypete

Star Member
Jun 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
10-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2014
LANDED..........
29-10-2014
@sns204 that is a good point. I definitely have to update them, so might as well apply already with the PR status maybe.
@ChippyBoy I applied for PR through the dv lottery so I actually haven't lived there at all yet. Not sure if I quite follow your implications and not familiar with those forms.
@sistemc I'm aware that the intent was removed so I also wonder what they'll say. Right now I just want to go to the US and get experience in a certain job for a bit that's why I applied for the visa down there.