+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship on the basis of Statelessness after Bill C-6

sl512

Sep 21, 2017
Bill C-6 includes that "Statelessness has been added as a stand-alone ground that can be considered for a discretionary grant of citizenship." I will be landing as a new PR under FSW, and am in fact Stateless - having been born into a country that no longer exists, and never had citizenship of any country. I was wondering if I can immediately apply for Citizenship without having met the physical presence test. But since this grant is discretionary and I'm a skilled worker immigrant rather than a refugee - what are the chances I will get denied? And if I do get denied, will it adversely affect my "regular" citizenship application (after living for 3 years)?

weneklek

Star Member
Sep 18, 2012
Bill C-6 includes that "Statelessness has been added as a stand-alone ground that can be considered for a discretionary grant of citizenship." I will be landing as a new PR under FSW, and am in fact Stateless - having been born into a country that no longer exists, and never had citizenship of any country. I was wondering if I can immediately apply for Citizenship without having met the physical presence test. But since this grant is discretionary and I'm a skilled worker immigrant rather than a refugee - what are the chances I will get denied? And if I do get denied, will it adversely affect my "regular" citizenship application (after living for 3 years)?

In short you do not have passport?

gee777

Jul 3, 2018
am in fact Stateless - having been born into a country that no longer exists, and never had citizenship of any country. I
I have "alien's passport" that gives me status similar to PR in my home country.
home country?. now thats confusing, thought you are stateless...answers to your questions is found in the link below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/statelessness.html#general

Discretionary Grants
These are only used in very exceptional cases and each case is considered on its own merit. It is important that you appreciate the significance of being conferred a grant of citizenship under this provision by the Minister, it should not be used as means of circumventing the normal citizenship process.