+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CEC as research assistant (NOC 4012)

googler

Star Member
Nov 1, 2012
jes_ON said:
Yes, there is - see "Work Experience Requirements" in the new application guide -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609ETOC.asp

Note: Any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, or periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience. You must have had temporary resident status during the period of work experience acquired in Canada.
Thanks jes_ON for clarification. Well, obviously full-time students with whatever work experience (on-campus or off-campus) are not eligible to apply under CEC. Even if the job is done during spring/summer when the student is not engaged in usual coursework, that job has to be done with an off-campus or on-campus work permit for an international student, which makes it ineligible for CEC application.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys!

Just realized that they have updated the website for CEC. Now there is no information about work experience gained as a full time student. I am just wondering if CIC is playing with us?

This is extremely confusing, can someone with more experience than me clarify this?

Please, let's do it ASAP,

Thanks,

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello eng3a,

Which guideline are you referring to? As mentioned, they just updated the website and now there is no information regarding work experience obtained during full time studies. Please, can you show a link to access this guidelines?

Regards,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
SIGH. The same information is STILL in the Work Experience Requirements of the instruction guide.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php?action=post;topic=123342.30;num_replies=40

"Note: Any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, or periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience. You must have had temporary resident status during the period of work experience acquired in Canada."

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pepe84 said:
Hello eng3a,

Which guideline are you referring to? As mentioned, they just updated the website and now there is no information regarding work experience obtained during full time studies. Please, can you show a link to access this guidelines?
SIGH. The same information is STILL in the Work Experience Requirements of the instruction guide.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php?action=post;topic=123342.30;num_replies=40

"Note: Any periods of self-employment, unauthorized work, or periods of employment during which you were engaged in full-time study (e.g. work experience gained on a co-op, off-campus or on-campus work permit) will not be included when calculating the period of qualifying work experience. You must have had temporary resident status during the period of work experience acquired in Canada."

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
Hi there,

I was also not able to find anything on CIC website about the issue of full-time students (PhD) who are RAs cannot apply under CEC. Could anyone please advice if there is any link?

Thanks

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks for the answer. My interpretation is that statement is meant for students doing off-campus or on-campus works but not including RA/TA. I have seen friends of mine applying under CEC being a full-time student as a RA with no problem at all. So I think it hopefully works for RA's.

ConfuseApplicant

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
ahmadimo said:
Thanks for the answer. My interpretation is that statement is meant for students doing off-campus or on-campus works but not including RA/TA. I have seen friends of mine applying under CEC being a full-time student as a RA with no problem at all. So I think it hopefully works for RA's.
RA/TA is an on-campus job (ask international office of your university or concern department). As it is an on-campus job, students do not require any permit other than student permit (such as work-permit, off-campus work-permit) to perform their duties and get SIN number with just student permit and job-offer.

The new rule, not to consider job experience gathered during full-time study, is for those applications that are received on or after Jan. 2, 2013. Previously, CIC used to considered RA/TA as valid work for work experience needed for CEC application. I some people that I know (4 out of 4) got their PR with the old rule.

This is what I think, also some other members. I would suggest to contact cic regarding this to be in safe side or you can apply without that if you wish. It would be great if you share your experience in this forum once you submit your application.

Best of luck!!
Conf. App

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ahmadimo said:
That was before the changes implemented on January 2, and they were exploiting a loophole. That loophole has been closed. I personally think if CIC says "no work experience while a full-time student", you should interpret that literally, not wishfully.

No one's telling you you can't try it, just don't be surprised or cry 'foul' if your application is refused.

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
OK guys, thanks for the feedback. I have now decided to apply under PhD stream and will give my info on the relevant section for tracking.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I recently attended a meeting with immigration agents in the University where I am currently enrolled as a full time student here in Ontario. That meeting was even more confusing for me, because they confirmed that full time students working as a Research Assistant for at least one year are eligible to apply, even if they remain as a full time student. I certainly don´t know what to do, because I also called to Call Center and they said I cannot apply as a GRA.

Please if someone with more knowledge on this regards could clarify this would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

emrulh

Mar 18, 2013
jes_ON said:
That was before the changes implemented on January 2, and they were exploiting a loophole. That loophole has been closed. I personally think if CIC says "no work experience while a full-time student", you should interpret that literally, not wishfully.

No one's telling you you can't try it, just don't be surprised or cry 'foul' if your application is refused.
Hi Jes,

But if the RA experience comes AFTER GRADUATING with an MA while HOLDING A PGWP and being a FULL-TIME PHD student, then what? Please help.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
emrulh said:
Hi Jes,

But if the RA experience comes AFTER GRADUATING with an MA while HOLDING A PGWP and being a FULL-TIME PHD student, then what? Please help.
Even if you hold a post-graduate work permit, so long you are currently engaged in full-time study, then you're technically 'working' under study permit rather than post-graduate work permit. Though you may 'technically' argue that you are gaining your TA/RA work experience through PGWP (with the university as your employer), it doesn't change the fact that you are a full-time PhD student.

But then again, this is just my opinion, so you are always welcomed to try (and I would hope that you'd be successful since, with Canadian work experience, qualifying under CEC is much easier than under FSWP; and also the dreaded settlement fund requirements), though you probably will have a much better chance of success with the PhD stream (especially now they reduce the requirements for full-time work week to just 30 hours per week for FSWP as well).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
emrulh said:
If you are a graduate RA/TA, then you are still a student. (Some universities do employ fulltime RAs, but the position is not designated as a student position). As far as I can see, this experience is excluded under the current CEC program. Since there is already a PhD stream under the Federal Skilled Workers program, there is no need for this to be accommodated under the CEC class.

If you had used your PGWP to work for one year before returning to school for the PhD, then you would be able to use that experience...

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Hi all,

Thanks for your valuable discussion. I'm a RA/TA at an Ontario university. I applied under CEC in August 2012 (before CEC rules has changed and graduate and worker options were combined). I applied as a graduate with one year full time equivalent RA experience. I haven't heard yet but I'll let you know as soon as I do. I came here to share the notes of a meeting that my university held with CIC representatives. The full document can be found here: cie.utoronto.ca/Programs/Student-Advising/Frequently-Asked-Permanent-Residency-Questions.htm

Here is a question/answer in this document related to your discussion:

"I have a four-year undergraduate degree from an Ontario University as a visa student (study permit). And I am currently a second year Master's student with study permit. I am also a full-time graduate research assistant with a non-taxable annual stipend/income. Can I use this experience (one full-year) to meet the work requirements for CEC PR application for those with undergraduate degrees from Canada?
CIC Response: Pursuant to R87.1(3)(a), any period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study shall not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience under the CEC. Please see further information on this website."

My hope is that this doesn't apply to the applications before January 2nd. I guess we'll wait and see. I'd appreciate if anyone whose case is finalized recently (accepted or rejected or even medicals requested) would update us.

Thanks!