+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CEC as research assistant (NOC 4012)

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RA_toronto said:
I just got off the phone with the Immigration Canada call center. The representative said that there is no appeal process for applications processed by CPP-Ottawa. I called again and asked another representative and he said the same thing. They both said my only choice is to submit a new application.

It's good that your notes don't say anything about T4As, hopefully that's a positive sign. You may want to get a more detailed letter from your supervisor stressing that the work you claim as a research assistant is not part of your study, won't be part of your thesis, and is separate from the hours you study towards your thesis. It might help. Make sure to submit before a decision is made because apparently there is nothing to do after.

As for me, I'm eligible for PhD stream but I'm not sure if I should apply. I'm afraid to spend another another 600-700 hundred dollars and get rejected because of the same reason. Also, for PhD stream, they require you to have around 11,000 dollars in your bank account, and it won't be easy for me to borrow such a big amount of money.
The thing is its hard to show that RA work is not part of my study, though I think I will try and see my supervisor would do that for me (I doubt ???). You can surely send in a reconsideration email to CPP-O. My university lawyer told me the same thing that there is no appeal process, its kinda hard to believe that there is no such process!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
pari_p said:
The thing is its hard to show that RA work is not part of my study, though I think I will try and see my supervisor would do that for me (I doubt ???). You can surely send in a reconsideration email to CPP-O. My university lawyer told me the same thing that there is no appeal process, its kinda hard to believe that there is no such process!
Where do you send the e-mail?

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only email we know of CPP-O is 'ottpilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca'
So try there... I read somewhere on the forum that people have sent out reconsideration emails to VOs and some people have had their decisions reversed, I am sorry I don't remember where I read it but its somewhere on this forum!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Update: I sent an appeal email to ottpilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca 25 days ago, and didn't get any reply. I sent again 15 days ago, still no reply. I also sent an email to "Case Review Immigration" as I have seen a presentation from 2011 saying:

Please contact us if:
• You have a case where there are exceptional circumstances
(example: urgent protection cases)
• There is a case that may not have been appropriately dealt with by
a CIC local office or visa office and where litigation is to be avoided
• If you notice a number of cases in which you believe there exists a
pattern of concern.
• If you have not received a reply to your enquiries within 30 days of
contacting a particular visa office.
E‐mail: Case‐Review‐im‐enquiry@cic.gc.ca

They didn't reply either. I'm giving up :( I put together a new application for PhD stream, wrote a more detailed employment letter following the tips and successful letter templates in this forum, and sent out today. Wish me luck...

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, just got my rejection!! I was expecting it so no biggie... pretty disappointed in Canada!! Spent 7 yrs here and they still don't consider me 'Experienced'... I am just going to say its Canada's loss!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your future application.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RA_toronto said:
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your future application.
good Luck for your FSW PD application!

My lawyer told me there isn't any way we can appeal (which sounds nonsense to me)!

elnazdel

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Sorry to hear that Pari :(.... I am waiting for such a letter too... :( That is pretty sad...
Don't lose hope and definitely try other streams!

pari_p said:
good Luck for your FSW PD application!

My lawyer told me there isn't any way we can appeal (which sounds nonsense to me)!

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
elnazdel said:
Sorry to hear that Pari :(.... I am waiting for such a letter too... :( That is pretty sad...
Don't lose hope and definitely try other streams!
Thanks guys! I am not losing hope at all (I have been here 7 yrs that says it all :p).. all the best with your file. keep us updated!

chi_1988

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
31-10-2013
Med's Done....
4-11-2013
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
15-12-2013
Hello,

I guess I am in the same situation (Status: Review required). I completed my MSc degree 3 months ago but applied under CEC in October 2012.

My GCMS notes says:

Employment letters dated XXXXX and XXXXX do list duties that appear to conform to NOC 4012, but does not detail any clear seperation between studies and research assistant work. There appears to be no clear evidence that this research is in fact work seperate from study'

That statement is actually confusing to me. What do they mean when they say work seperate from study? The research has nothing to do with actual course/class work, I had to spend over 40hrs/week working for my professor. Although, some of the research I did in the 1st year went into my submitted thesis but nothing I did from January 2012 to May 2013 was included in my thesis. In addition, I submitted papers and filled a patent (along with my supervisior) that are not required for my degree completion.

I am not sure how to convince them otherwise. I updated them on a change of employment (engineering-related) but I have only worked for 3 months so far and I dont know if that will help.

pari_p

Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chi_1988 said:
Hello,

I guess I am in the same situation (Status: Review required). I completed my MSc degree 3 months ago but applied under CEC in October 2012.

My GCMS notes says:

Employment letters dated XXXXX and XXXXX do list duties that appear to conform to NOC 4012, but does not detail any clear seperation between studies and research assistant work. There appears to be no clear evidence that this research is in fact work seperate from study'

That statement is actually confusing to me. What do they mean when they say work seperate from study? The research has nothing to do with actual course/class work, I had to spend over 40hrs/week working for my professor. Although, some of the research I did in the 1st year went into my submitted thesis but nothing I did from January 2012 to May 2013 was included in my thesis. In addition, I submitted papers and filled a patent (along with my supervisior) that are not required for my degree completion.

I am not sure how to convince them otherwise. I updated them on a change of employment (engineering-related) but I have only worked for 3 months so far and I dont know if that will help.
unfortunately, I had the same thing on my GCMS, so doesn't look promising (but dont loose hopes... my lawyer said it totally depends on the case officer)!

What they meant to say is you cannot use any work done while in school (or related to your study) to be used as work experience! Though its stupid because we people applied way before Rules Changed in January!!! Also, there are TONS of people who have got PR through CEC using the same RA/TA hours! Whats shocking my rejection letter from CIC is:

"I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. Your stated work experience as a teaching/research assistant at the University is a component of your doctoral studies and does not meet the definition of “work “as defined under R2 of the Regulations. As such, I am not satisfied you have acquired, in Canada, at least 24 months of full time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in a NOC type 0, or level A or B occupation, within the 36 months before the date the application was made.

Definition of "Work" [R2]
“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market."

They dont even consider TA work as work even though we pay taxes on it! I am not sure whats wrong with CIC they are basically blindly rejecting people! Since same people are able to apply to PhD stream and get PR!

My letters clearly said 'PP is employed under *** and her yearly income is ****' not sure how come thats not employment!

Kinda pisses me off that it takes them 1 year to decide on this after wasting tons of resources (& money) on security and background checks!

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
Hope i will get my rejection or MR this month only. Its waste of time

chi_1988

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
31-10-2013
Med's Done....
4-11-2013
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
15-12-2013
pari_p said:
unfortunately, I had the same thing on my GCMS, so doesn't look promising (but dont loose hopes... my lawyer said it totally depends on the case officer)!

What they meant to say is you cannot use any work done while in school (or related to your study) to be used as work experience! Though its stupid because we people applied way before Rules Changed in January!!! Also, there are TONS of people who have got PR through CEC using the same RA/TA hours! Whats shocking my rejection letter from CIC is:

"I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. Your stated work experience as a teaching/research assistant at the University is a component of your doctoral studies and does not meet the definition of “work “as defined under R2 of the Regulations. As such, I am not satisfied you have acquired, in Canada, at least 24 months of full time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in a NOC type 0, or level A or B occupation, within the 36 months before the date the application was made.

Definition of "Work" [R2]
“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market."

They dont even consider TA work as work even though we pay taxes on it! I am not sure whats wrong with CIC they are basically blindly rejecting people! Since same people are able to apply to PhD stream and get PR!

My letters clearly said 'PP is employed under *** and her yearly income is ****' not sure how come thats not employment!

Kinda pisses me off that it takes them 1 year to decide on this after wasting tons of resources (& money) on security and background checks!
'skilled work experience" thats crazy! I work in the industry now and I will say there is nothing as hard as doing a Masters (Thesis) or a PHD. Oh well!

chi_1988

Aug 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
Submitted
Med's Request
31-10-2013
Med's Done....
4-11-2013
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
14-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
15-12-2013
Hello everyone!

Got my Medical exam request today :DDD

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Congrats! Did you have work experience other than RA/TA?