+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian citizenship from outside Canada for a child born abroad

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, I want to ask if one of the parents is a naturalized Canadian citizen, can their child if born outside Canada (e.g India) get Canadian citizenship from abroad i.e. India?

And also what if the child is adopted outside Canada and one of the parents is a naturalized Canadian citizen, can they still get Canadian citizenship from abroad? (e.g: India)

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi, I want to ask if one of the parents is a naturalized Canadian citizen, can their child if born outside Canada (e.g India) get Canadian citizenship from abroad i.e. India?

And also what if the child is adopted outside Canada and one of the parents is a naturalized Canadian citizen, can they still get Canadian citizenship from abroad? (e.g: India)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/already-citizen.html

Reactions: snoopyta

Seeker16

Star Member
Jun 28, 2016
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
12-04-2017
Looks like not. After 17 Apr 2009, if parent born outside of Canada but naturalized Canadian citizen and child born outside of Canada one of parents being Canadian citizen (born outside of Canada) - Child is not Automatically Canadian citizen. Parent has to be Canadian born in Canada since 17 Apr 2009
I might be wrong... please double check.

has anyone been in this situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Looks like not. After 17 Apr 2009, if parent born outside of Canada but naturalized Canadian citizen and child born outside of Canada one of parents being Canadian citizen (born outside of Canada) - Child is not Automatically Canadian citizen. Parent has to be Canadian born in Canada since 17 Apr 2009
I might be wrong... please double check.

has anyone been in this situation?
I think this is wrong but I'm going to be clear about the categories of citizenship because I'm not at all sure what you meant:
-Citizen by birth >> born in Canada >> children born abroad of this parent are citizens.
-Citizen by naturalization >> citizenship acquired by naturalization >> children born abroad of this parent are citizens IF they are born after date of naturalization.
-Citizen by descent >> citizen by right of being born abroad of Canadian citizen-parent >> children born abroad of this parent are NOT eligible for citizenship by descent. (Obviously they could be eligible via the other parent).

Note, I've only said 'parent' as it currently does not matter which parent, nor what the citizenship or residency status is of the other parent (except obviously if the other parent is a citizen and what type).

Reactions: Jetrocker

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
I think this is wrong but I'm going to be clear about the categories of citizenship because I'm not at all sure what you meant:
-Citizen by birth >> born in Canada >> children born abroad of this parent are citizens.
-Citizen by naturalization >> citizenship acquired by naturalization >> children born abroad of this parent are citizens IF they are born after date of naturalization.
-Citizen by descent >> citizen by right of being born abroad of Canadian citizen-parent >> children born abroad of this parent are NOT eligible for citizenship by descent. (Obviously they could be eligible via the other parent).

Note, I've only said 'parent' as it currently does not matter which parent, nor what the citizenship or residency status is of the other parent (except obviously if the other parent is a citizen and what type).
So that means a naturalized Canadian citizen will be able to apply for citizenship certificate from India for their child even if the child is born in India as long as they are born after the parent's date of naturalization? Subsequently can the parent can also apply for Canadian passport for their child from India itself?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So that means a naturalized Canadian citizen will be able to apply for citizenship certificate from India for their child even if the child is born in India as long as they are born after the parent's date of naturalization? Subsequently can the parent can also apply for Canadian passport for their child from India itself?
Yes, and yes. In fact, contact consular section of the high commission - you are not the first and they may have specific instructions.

The way that I'm acquainted with is you apply for the citizenship certificate, keeping copies, and then apply for temporary passport for the child (using the cit cert application as proof). [This is necessary because it can take ~18 mos to get the citizenship certificate]

But again - contact consular section. Child born abroad. Need to get citizenship and passport for child. How to do? They should have instructions.

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Yes, and yes. In fact, contact consular section of the high commission - you are not the first and they may have specific instructions.

The way that I'm acquainted with is you apply for the citizenship certificate, keeping copies, and then apply for temporary passport for the child (using the cit cert application as proof). [This is necessary because it can take ~18 mos to get the citizenship certificate]

But again - contact consular section. Child born abroad. Need to get citizenship and passport for child. How to do? They should have instructions.
Ok thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate it!

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Was this child a true orphan and child’s parents are deceased? Is this a child of a family member? The big issue is whether the adoption will be recognized by Canada. Looks like you may have on,y recently become a Canadian citizen. Was the child born before you became a Canadian citizen? Was the child’s adoption date before you received Canadian citizenship?

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Was this child a true orphan and child’s parents are deceased? Is this a child of a family member? The big issue is whether the adoption will be recognized by Canada. Looks like you may have on,y recently become a Canadian citizen. Was the child born before you became a Canadian citizen? Was the child’s adoption date before you received Canadian citizenship?
No, the child is not born yet but I'm planning on getting married and having kids in India. So I am just preparing for the future and asking for information sake.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, the child is not born yet but I'm planning on getting married and having kids in India. So I am just preparing for the future and asking for information sake.
Would then work with a Canadian lawyer knowledgeable about international to make sure your adoption will be recognized by Canadian officials.