+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for an Open Work Permit (December 2014 Pilot Program)

buttertart

Apr 27, 2015
Hi all,

I am in the final stages of putting my PR application together and am thoroughly confused by the 'Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker' under the new Open Work Permit pilot program.

1. I am currently in Canada on a Working Holiday Visa. The Visa is not tied to my employer in any way. Do I select 'A Work Permit with the Same Employer' (since I will be remaining with the same employer, but they are not sponsoring me or anything) or do I select 'An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer' since I am applying for a new 'stream' of work permit?

2. The pilot program notice says only to fill out the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form and include the appropriate fees, but the Guide to the SCLPC Guide (IMM 5289) directs me to a checklist that says I need to include various other documents such as Passport Photocopies, LMIA Forms, etc. Has anyone has any experience with this and did you include the document checklist and all of the extra documents?

3. Does any know that, if for some reason, the Application is sent back because of errors, will I have to pay the submission fee again when I send it back?

Any help is appreciated! My apologies if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

Jamarns

Feb 8, 2015
Coquitlam, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
buttertart said:
Hi all,

I am in the final stages of putting my PR application together and am thoroughly confused by the 'Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker' under the new Open Work Permit pilot program.

1. I am currently in Canada on a Working Holiday Visa. The Visa is not tied to my employer in any way. Do I select 'A Work Permit with the Same Employer' (since I will be remaining with the same employer, but they are not sponsoring me or anything) or do I select 'An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer' since I am applying for a new 'stream' of work permit?

2. The pilot program notice says only to fill out the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker form and include the appropriate fees, but the Guide to the SCLPC Guide (IMM 5289) directs me to a checklist that says I need to include various other documents such as Passport Photocopies, LMIA Forms, etc. Has anyone has any experience with this and did you include the document checklist and all of the extra documents?

3. Does any know that, if for some reason, the Application is sent back because of errors, will I have to pay the submission fee again when I send it back?

Any help is appreciated! My apologies if these questions have already been answered elsewhere.
Hi buttertart,

I'm in pretty much the exact same position as you (IEC to PR sponsorship)

1. You would select 'An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer' as it is a different type of permit to the one you're on, and the IEC work permit was never tied to your employer to begin with (plus it's not extendable)

2. You do not need to do an LMIA because it's not a requirement of the OWP pilot program, all of the other documents that are listed should also be a part of your main application for residency so those requirements are already filled.

3. The fee you pay is an application fee, if the application gets sent back you wouldn't have to pay it again, but if you're relying on implied status as a visitor you could lose that. I'd recommend applying online to extend your status as a visitor online before your IEC visa runs out (just be aware that IEC visa holders do not benefit from implied status as a worker, only as a visitor)

psharma2284

Jan 30, 2015
hi,
did you already receive your permit? i applied for open work permit in January and they processed it in March -- so keep saying the same things to me about waiting the 4 months for processing.

it's the most frustrating process, i have an offer from a canadian employer and they have been patiently waiting on the permit to avoid doing an LMIA.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this situation and what to do even do at this point...